[Vote] Dropping Java7 support in Druid 0.9.x

Fangjin Yang

Oct 30, 2015, 7:11:35 PM10/30/15
to Druid Development
How does everyone feel about this? I think we've supported java 7 long enough.

Himanshu

Oct 30, 2015, 7:23:54 PM10/30/15
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
We use java-8 already, so +1 from me.

-- Himanshu

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Fangjin Yang <fangj...@gmail.com> wrote:
How does everyone feel about this? I think we've supported java 7 long enough.

Gian Merlino

Oct 30, 2015, 8:06:45 PM10/30/15
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
What are the reasons for dropping java 7 support?

I am all for modernity (some of the new APIs are super useful) but some things to consider before deciding,

- Some users may still be stuck on java 7 for reasons like having a shared hadoop cluster, or an OS image out of their control. (we could poll the user list about this)
- Scala 2.11 only has experimental support for reading java 8 bytecode, which might cause problems for tranquility if we target java 8. Scala 2.12 does target java 8 but is not released yet.
- Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, and Storm all still support java 7

Personally I think the right time to target java 8 is when not too many users say they're stuck on java 7, and Scala 2.12 is out and has been adopted by Kafka and Spark (two projects people like to use tranquility with).

Fangjin Yang

Charles Allen

Nov 1, 2015, 8:37:00 PM11/1/15
to Druid Development
I would love to drop java7 (and eventually see if our Sequence fits as a java8 Stream) but my main reason for not making Druid officially java8 only is because of the general lack of scala support for java8.

Once a java8 compatible version of scala is officially released, I'm good calling it java8 only. A that point I think any library which doesn't have a java8 compat path is never going to have one, and should probably be looked at being replaced.

On Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 10:42:52 AM UTC-8, Fangjin Yang wrote:
[...]

Prashant Deva

Nov 2, 2015, 12:14:09 PM11/2/15
to Druid Development
+1 for dropping java 7 support

Charles Allen

Feb 23, 2016, 12:59:16 PM2/23/16
to Druid Development
Note that we've been running Spark 1.5.2 on scala 2.10 on java8 for a while now and it seems to be functioning fine.

Kurt Young

Feb 23, 2016, 8:30:17 PM2/23/16
to Druid Development
+1

Gian Merlino

Feb 23, 2016, 8:53:15 PM2/23/16
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
Does that still work if the Druid artifacts are built to target java8? I thought scala 2.10 didn't work at all with java 8 compiled classes, and scala 2.11 support for that was still experimental. If that is the case then I would prefer to stay on java 7 at least until scala 2.12 is released. Preferably, also until we poll the user list (not just the dev list) and are comfortable with leaving behind anyone that might still be stuck on java 7 for shared resources like hadoop clusters. Unless there is some really heartbreakingly good benefit from upgrading early.

(I do think it's early- not many other infrastructure projects have made the switch yet. hadoop, spark, kafka, all still support java 7)

Gian

Charles Allen

Feb 24, 2016, 12:43:34 AM2/24/16
to druid-de...@googlegroups.com
The jars used here are all java7 compiled

Charles Allen

Aug 4, 2016, 8:58:26 PM8/4/16
to Druid Development
https://github.com/druid-io/druid/pull/3328

Source needs some modification before we work with java8 source spec. (java 8 jvm works fine against master, this is only about the source specification)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 5:53 PM Gian Merlino <gi...@imply.io> wrote:
Does that still work if the Druid artifacts are built to target java8? I thought scala 2.10 didn't work at all with java 8 compiled classes, and scala 2.11 support for that was still experimental. If that is the case then I would prefer to stay on java 7 at least until scala 2.12 is released. Preferably, also until we poll the user list (not just the dev list) and are comfortable with leaving behind anyone that might still be stuck on java 7 for shared resources like hadoop clusters. Unless there is some really heartbreakingly good benefit from upgrading early.

(I do think it's early- not many other infrastructure projects have made the switch yet. hadoop, spark, kafka, all still support java 7)

Gian
On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Kurt Young <ykt...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1