Conflicts with Apache Axis

g.ro...@prometheuscomputing.com

Sep 27, 2016, 4:02:13 PM9/27/16
to dropwizard-user
All,

Does anyone know if DW conflicts with Apache Axis/Axis2?

I have a DW app where the REST calls work fine until I add Apache Axis/Axis2 libraries to the build.  When I do this, the REST calls throw an error saying the method (i.e. the method that is the REST call) can't be found.  Take them out and DW works again.  It seem something is stepping on something.  I have the logging set at DEBUG but nothing that helps me pin point.

Thanks in advance

Shan Syed

Sep 27, 2016, 4:14:19 PM9/27/16
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
maybe the particular JAXRS JARs are in conflict; you may have to, via maven, exclude the ones that come from Axis

g.ro...@prometheuscomputing.com

Sep 28, 2016, 11:35:23 AM9/28/16
to dropwizard-user
The error is being thrown by org.eclipse.jetty see below:

Is there a way to get better diagnostics?

<stuff before>
DEBUG [2016-09-28 15:28:00,628] org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler: call filter io.dropwizard.servlets.ThreadNameFilter-3f23a3a0
DEBUG [2016-09-28 15:28:00,628] org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler: call filter io.dropwizard.jetty.BiDiGzipFilter-493dfb8e
WARN  [2016-09-28 15:28:00,629] org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler: Error for /tch
! java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse.getHeader(Ljava/lang/String;)Ljava/lang/String;
! at org.eclipse.jetty.servlets.GzipFilter.doFilter(GzipFilter.java:322)
! at io.dropwizard.jetty.BiDiGzipFilter.doFilter(BiDiGzipFilter.java:132)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)
! at io.dropwizard.servlets.ThreadNameFilter.doFilter(ThreadNameFilter.java:29)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)
! at io.dropwizard.jersey.filter.AllowedMethodsFilter.handle(AllowedMethodsFilter.java:43)
! at io.dropwizard.jersey.filter.AllowedMethodsFilter.doFilter(AllowedMethodsFilter.java:38)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1127)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1061)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
! at com.codahale.metrics.jetty9.InstrumentedHandler.handle(InstrumentedHandler.java:240)
! at io.dropwizard.jetty.RoutingHandler.handle(RoutingHandler.java:51)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.RequestLogHandler.handle(RequestLogHandler.java:95)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.StatisticsHandler.handle(StatisticsHandler.java:159)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:499)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:310)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:540)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555)
! at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
DEBUG [2016-09-28 15:28:00,629] org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler: (GET /tch)@524260739 org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request@1f3f9583
0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 - - [28/Sep/2016:15:28:00 +0000] "GET /tch HTTP/1.1" 500 - "-" "curl/7.43.0" 10
<stuff after>

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:02 PM, <g.ro...@prometheuscomputing.com> wrote:
All,

Does anyone know if DW conflicts with Apache Axis/Axis2?

I have a DW app where the REST calls work fine until I add Apache Axis/Axis2 libraries to the build.  When I do this, the REST calls throw an error saying the method (i.e. the method that is the REST call) can't be found.  Take them out and DW works again.  It seem something is stepping on something.  I have the logging set at DEBUG but nothing that helps me pin point.

Thanks in advance

Tatu Saloranta

Sep 28, 2016, 11:43:40 AM9/28/16
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
I am not familiar with the problem, but merely looking at the stack trace, wouldn't this look like a version incompatibility for Servlet API jar itself?
Like something adding an old version in classpath, and that getting loaded instead of one Jetty relies on (3.x).

-+ Tatu +-

Shan Syed

Sep 28, 2016, 12:17:23 PM9/28/16
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
looks like a servlet JAR version clash to me

g.ro...@prometheuscomputing.com

Sep 28, 2016, 12:22:34 PM9/28/16
to dropwizard-user
Thank you Tatu

I was eyeballing the servlet-api anyway and with encouragement took action.  The problem as cleared.  I excluded javax.servlet:servlet-api:2.3 and forced a newer version.  See snippet from my build script (gradle) below.

configurations.all {
    exclude module: 'jsr311-api'
  resolutionStrategy {
    // fail eagerly on version conflict (includes transitive dependencies)
    // e.g. multiple different versions of the same dependency (group and name are equal)
//    failOnVersionConflict()

    // force certain versions of dependencies (including transitive)
    //  *append new forced modules:
    force 'javax.servlet:servlet-api:2.3'
    //  *replace existing forced modules with new ones:
    forcedModules = ['javax.servlet:javax-servlet-api:3.1.0']