[ANN] Dropwizard 0.8.0-rc1

Jochen Schalanda

Nov 9, 2014, 1:03:50 PM11/9/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After several months of development and commits from over 50 individual
contributors I'm very proud to announce the first release candidate of
Dropwizard 0.8.0.

The most important and most invasive change since Dropwizard 0.7.x was
certainly the upgrade to JAX-RS 2.0, Jersey 2.13, and subsequently the
upgrade to Jetty 9.2.4 which brings the goodness of the Java Servlet API
3.1 to Dropwizard.

The intention of releasing this release candidate is to get more people
to give it a test drive. Since there have been a lot of changes since
the release Dropwizard 0.7.1 there will probably be some regressions, so
please share your findings on the dropwizard-dev mailing list [1] or on
GitHub [2].

The documentation for Dropwizard 0.8.0-rc1 has been published at [3]. If
you find anything missing in the documentation, please let us know on
the mailing list or on GitHub, too.

There are a few tasks left before the final release of Dropwizard 0.8.0,
like writing proper release notes [4] and the issues listed in the
"0.8.0" milestone on GitHub [5]. Help with any of those tasks in form of
code, documentation, or simply comments is greatly appreciated!

[1]: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/dropwizard-dev
[2]: https://github.com/dropwizard/dropwizard/issues/new
[3]: http://dropwizard.io/0.8.0-rc1/docs
[4]:
https://github.com/dropwizard/dropwizard/blob/v0.8.0-rc1/docs/source/about/release-notes.rst#v080
[5]: https://github.com/dropwizard/dropwizard/milestones/0.8.0
[6]: http://dropwizard.io/0.8.0-rc1/team-list.html

Cheers,
Jochen (in the name of the Dropwizard team [6])

Rob

Nov 9, 2014, 4:47:54 PM11/9/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
Just started looking at this release in detail. It's huge. If this is 0.8, I can't imagine what 1.0 is going to look like!

Good stuff, and huge thanks to all of you.

Michael McCarthy

Nov 10, 2014, 5:20:05 PM11/10/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
Almost finished compiling against the RC, the one issue I'm seeing in a test is this:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/http/conn/HttpClientConnectionManager
at io.dropwizard.client.JerseyClientBuilder.<init>(JerseyClientBuilder.java:60)

Probably something stupid I'm doing so I'll keep going but in case anyone else has seen it. It is coming from this block of my code:

        Client client = new JerseyClientBuilder(environment)
                .using(clientConfiguration)
                .using(environment)
                .build(name);

Thanks
Michael

Lance N.

Nov 10, 2014, 5:27:37 PM11/10/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
Big ups to everyone, especially those who undertake the tedious job of dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Michael McCarthy

Nov 11, 2014, 4:30:35 AM11/11/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
I found the cause of my issue - The version of wiremock I was using was causing clashes as it must have been bringing in older versions of certain libraries. All well again.

Jérémie Panzer

Nov 21, 2014, 3:49:54 AM11/21/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
While not directly linked to dropwizard itself, there's a performance issue with liquibase and fat jars, and since shaded jars is the recommended way of packaging dropwizard applications, I thought I'd mention it here.
I reported the issue and it should be fixed with 3.3.1 (which is not released yet).

I think it'd be nice to wait for the fix before releasing dropwizard 0.8.0 final.

Glenn McAllister

Nov 21, 2014, 10:26:04 AM11/21/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
Is there an ETA on the liquibase 3.3.1 release?

Michael McCarthy

Nov 21, 2014, 10:31:12 AM11/21/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
We're pretty happy with everything so far but that only really covers the compile and test level stuff. We're butting up against https://github.com/dropwizard/dropwizard/issues/710 which means we can't go into production with it but everything else is good. Thanks again for all the hard work.

Jérémie Panzer

Nov 23, 2014, 10:36:57 AM11/23/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
No idea, I'll ask the maintainer.

Ryan Kennedy

Nov 23, 2014, 10:54:20 AM11/23/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
The liquibase issue appears to only be a one-time startup cost (20s vs. 2s startup measured in the ticket). It's not paid per-request. Would you still block a DW release on that? Real question, not criticism.

Ryan

Lance N.

Nov 23, 2014, 5:55:22 PM11/23/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com, dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
I always assume there will be a cleanup release after the dust settles. Non-killer problems can be delayed until then.

Glenn McAllister

Nov 24, 2014, 11:12:56 AM11/24/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
If you are asking me, I wouldn't block it at all. I was simply asking to see if there was an opportunity to sync things up. If it was a few days or at most a week, I might be willing to wait. Otherwise, it's simply not worth it. Particularly, as you point out, it's a one-time startup cost. Everyone wants the new Jersey and Jetty updates; waiting for liquibase isn't worth it in my opinion. When the liquibase release comes out, we can do a point release if there is enough demand.

Ryan Kennedy

Nov 24, 2014, 11:39:10 AM11/24/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. I'm also guessing a significant percentage of dropwizard users aren't using liquibase at all (although it's basically impossible to know).

Ryan

Jérémie Panzer

Dec 9, 2014, 4:06:03 AM12/9/14
to dropwiz...@googlegroups.com