Question: how should "copy rule" behave?

Dominik Sandjaja

Jan 5, 2015, 7:51:49 AM1/5/15
to drools...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

we just got a request from a user who uses KIE Workbench 6.2.0 (CR2) with DSL-based rules.

The users use the "copy rule" feature quite often to create rules which are only slightly different from each other. The workflow is:
1. open the guided rule
2. click on "copy"
3. enter the name of the new rule (and maybe a checkin comment)
4. click on "create copy".
5. re-open the "Guided Rules (with DSL)" tree on the left
6. scroll down to the newly created rule
7. open the new rule in the editor

What they would like to have is to avoid the tedious steps 5.-7. Preferrably, the newly created, copied rule would automatically be opened as soon as the click in step 4. ("create copy") is done.

Before I file a feature request for this, how are the opinions among others here? Would this behavior help others as well?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Dominik

Dominik Sandjaja

Jan 9, 2015, 4:37:15 AM1/9/15
to drools...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

since there seems to be either no interest in this functionality or there is no need for discussion, I will request the changed behavior as an enhancement.

Regards
Dominik

Michael Anstis

Jan 9, 2015, 4:43:52 AM1/9/15
to drools...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominik,

I agree, in the absence of any objection it sounds like a good idea.

If you like I'd be happy to mentor you making the changes (they're not difficult) so you can submit a Pull Request - and get your required feature in sooner than otherwise is likely.

I'm manstis on #guvnordev on IRC if you want to pop by.

With kind regards,

Mike

Dominik Sandjaja

Jan 9, 2015, 4:54:43 AM1/9/15
to drools...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

this sounds like a good idea, I will give it a shot and contact you on IRC shortly (once I find my Github credentials ...)

I filed the ticket nevertheless, just for reference: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/GUVNOR-2151

Regards
Dominik

Michael Anstis

Jan 9, 2015, 5:07:04 AM1/9/15
to drools...@googlegroups.com
Great.

This is probably where you need to look first:

You probably need to change "getCopySuccessCallback()" to also open the new Path

Something like this is probably what's needed:

    private RemoteCallback<Path> getCopySuccessCallback() {
        return new RemoteCallback<Path>() {

            @Override
            public void callback( final Path path ) {
                busyIndicatorView.hideBusyIndicator();
                notification.fire( new NotificationEvent( CommonConstants.INSTANCE.ItemCopiedSuccessfully() ) );
                placeManager.goto( path );
            }
        };
    }