M2Servlet - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect - fills up tomcat logs

Kamau Washington

Jun 7, 2016, 11:43:53 AM6/7/16
to Drools Setup
Looking at this, it appears that is coming from the kie-drools-wb installation, however there is no specification as to what path is causing the problem.

This is happening on a windows installation, drools 6.3, tomcat 8.

I get about 2 or three of these per second, and by the end of the week the log files are at 600MBs+

I am using the KieScanner to check for updates to the rules every 5 seconds, if that helps at all.

07-Jun-2016 15:01:46.894 SEVERE [http-nio-80-exec-92] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke Servlet.service() for servlet [M2Servlet] in context with path [/kie-drools-wb] threw exception
 java.io.IOException: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalizeWithPrefix0(Native Method)
at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalizeWithPrefix(Unknown Source)
at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalize(Unknown Source)
at java.io.File.getCanonicalPath(Unknown Source)
at org.guvnor.m2repo.backend.server.helpers.HttpGetHelper.handle(HttpGetHelper.java:65)
at org.guvnor.m2repo.backend.server.M2Servlet.doGet(M2Servlet.java:48)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.doHead(HttpServlet.java:244)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:645)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:291)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
at org.uberfire.ext.security.server.SecureHeadersFilter.doFilter(SecureHeadersFilter.java:53)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
at org.uberfire.ext.security.server.SecurityIntegrationFilter.doFilter(SecurityIntegrationFilter.java:45)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:217)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:142)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
at org.kie.integration.tomcat.JACCValve.invoke(JACCValve.java:101)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:616)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:518)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1091)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:673)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1500)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1456)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Michael Anstis

Jun 7, 2016, 11:52:21 AM6/7/16
to drools...@googlegroups.com
The settings.xml used by KieScanner is presumably pointing at the workbench repository.

I assume the GAV for whatever project you're scanning for does not contain spaces in either the GroupId, ArtifactId or Version?

It is a bug none the less. Is it possible for you to provide us with a minimal reproducer? (at the very least the GAV you're scanning for).

Kamau Washington

Jun 7, 2016, 12:44:06 PM6/7/16
to Drools Setup
Michael, thanks for responding so quickly!

I could try a minimal reproducer, but would take time (lots on the plate)

The GAV:

com.myCompany.rules
ARM-KB
1.0-SNAPSHOT

When I look at the repository from the wb, I have something like this
com/myCompany/rules/ARM-KB/1.0-SNAPSHOT/ARM-KB-1.0-20160121.151736-1.jar

To note* the project works, and changes are seen by the application, its the error log that is the issue really.

Michael Anstis

Jun 7, 2016, 3:06:00 PM6/7/16
to drools...@googlegroups.com
The error message appears to relate to something (I'm assuming KieScanner) trying to do a HTTP GET for an artifact from the Workbench's Maven Repository.

We do log (INFO level) something like: log.info( "GET request received for <path-info>...."). If you can find this in your server log and the value of "<path-info>" it'd be helpful.

The error will cause artifacts to fail being GET'ed from the Workbench's Maven Repository. If a GET from the Workbench fails Maven would try to resolve from elsewhere.

Kamau Washington

Jun 7, 2016, 4:04:59 PM6/7/16
to drools...@googlegroups.com
I think your initial hunch was correct....

On a windows machine, the default Tomcat Service installation is c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0

which would then be that above path +\webapps\kie-drools-wb\repository... etc. I take it these spaces in the path are causing the error?

My assumption is that on linux installs, most do something else.

I changed the Host for tomcat webapps to be c:\TomcatWebApps, and the message is no longer present.