Sail boats on ardupilot

Luis Vale Gonçalves

Feb 2, 2016, 4:03:41 PM2/2/16
to drones-discuss
Anyone ventured on this subject?

Chris Anderson

Feb 2, 2016, 4:38:06 PM2/2/16
to drones-discuss
Luis: Yes, there is a group doing that here

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Luis Vale Gonçalves <luis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyone ventured on this subject?

    CEO
    3D Robotics
    website | twitter | facebook | instagram

Luis Vale Gonçalves

Feb 2, 2016, 5:08:53 PM2/2/16
to drones-discuss
Thanks Chris

Although not much movement there, but I think that some competition like the ones I linked could be useful to sparkle the interest.

Also I remember Tridge mentioning something around this subject, but more related with telemetry transmission.

Andy Little

Feb 3, 2016, 3:30:15 AM2/3/16
to drones-discuss
FWIW I would love to do a catamaran using ArduPilot.  I used to build model catamarans.. I had thought about using accels and gyros to control them even in the '90's but now electronics is so much easier !

The fun part would be to keep it holding a steady course while flying one one hull on a broad reach  with hands off the transmitter :)

Unfortunately I moved away from the seaside so have no decent waterway for testing which would be essential for this project

regards
Andy

Andy Little

Feb 3, 2016, 4:18:02 AM2/3/16
to drones-discuss

Also of course  would be great to do a model of this...

:)

regards
Andy

Luis Vale Gonçalves

Feb 3, 2016, 10:03:30 AM2/3/16
to drones-discuss
It might be that ArduPilot is not the right tool, regarding the rules of these competitions. The rules mention path planning and collision avoidance processed onboard.

Randy Mackay

Feb 3, 2016, 7:35:00 PM2/3/16
to drones-...@googlegroups.com

I think ardupilot would be a good base.  It’s got that great EKF, dataflash logging, support for many types of sensors, mavlink communication, etc, etc.  Not trying to downplay the effort required to enhance it to add the extra bits (path planning and collision avoidance) but a couple of new high level libraries could be created for those features or possibly a companion computer could be used that does that work and then sends commands to the controller board (i.e. pixhawk, navio2, etc) which is in guided mode.  Rover doesn’t support many guided mode commands at the moment (only waypoint I think) so some work might be required to add extra controls there too.

-Randy

Andy Little

Feb 4, 2016, 6:38:42 AM2/4/16
to drones-discuss
Number 1 issue with offshore racing model sail boats is its a very harsh environment. Totally unlike model aircraft.

Salt water corrodes electronics very quickly.  You need to spend a lot of time figuring out how to keep electronics dry, especially connectors and how to make actuators etc work without letting in water.

Short course racing on fresh water would be a better bet to begin with and in fact more practical all round to design the mechanicals.  Off shore model yacht racing is not exactly a spectator sport either. maybe an onboard camera with an OSD linked to a satellite would make it more interesting though :)

regards
Andy