UAVCAN 1.0 release candidate

Pavel Kirienko

Oct 2, 2015, 1:33:31 PM10/2/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com, px4u...@googlegroups.com, uav...@googlegroups.com
First release candidate of UAVCAN is finally here.

For those unaware, UAVCAN is a lightweight protocol that has been designed for reliable communication in aerospace and robotic applications via CAN bus. The primary objective of this protocol is to provide a vendor-independent, standardized communication layer, and eventually build an ecosystem of UAV avionics using UAVCAN as a common communication platform that will replace morally dead or inappropriate interfaces like PWM and I2C.

We've secured interest from some of the larger businesses and projects in the market; multiple vendors are already working on releasing UAVCAN-compatible avionics to the market, such as UAV imaging systems, high-efficiency ESC controllers, positioning systems, and more.

The website at http://uavcan.org has been updated with the most recent complete specification and documentation for existing implementations in C++ and Python.

For projects and companies interested in adopting UAVCAN, Zubax Robotics provides commercial support - ask in...@zubax.com.

Pavel Kirienko.

Tom Pittenger

Oct 2, 2015, 1:40:55 PM10/2/15
to drones-discuss, px4u...@googlegroups.com, uav...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pavel,

It seems that CAN is the way forward for many reasons. Is this new 1.0 release backwards compatible with current releases so it will work with currently released UAVCAN hardware? If not, does it render all currently sold UAVCAN hardware useless unless they update to v1.0?

Pavel Kirienko.

pavel.k...@zubax.com

Oct 2, 2015, 1:51:42 PM10/2/15
to drones-discuss, px4u...@googlegroups.com, uav...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

Unfortunately, v1.0 is not compatible with earlier experimental revisions, because the transport layer has been changed. The bright side is that now the transport layer is stabilized and backward compatibility is guaranteed, so it will be possible to perform firmware updates over UAVCAN in the future.

For existing hardware, I recommend to follow the example of Zubax GNSS - see http://zubax.com/news/zubax-gnss-firmware-update-v20.

Pavel.

Tom Pittenger

Oct 2, 2015, 2:06:11 PM10/2/15
to drones-discuss, px4users, uavcan
Great,

Would it be possible for the uavcan.org website to maintain, at least at first, a list of products that support UAVCAN 1.0?

Pavel Kirienko

Oct 2, 2015, 2:18:48 PM10/2/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com, px4users, uavcan
Such a list may be added in the future, although I can't promise - there are some pros and cons involved.

--
Pavel Kirienko
zubax.com