camera foorprints in MissionPlanner in real time

Matas Razgūnas

Nov 24, 2015, 10:11:27 AM11/24/15
to drones-discuss
Hi,

As we are doing some mapping missions, we thought that it may be useful to see image footprints in real time. I started implementing it in MissionPlanner. It is using CAMERA_FEEDBACK  message. Maybe it should be separate windows, because it obstructs a lot of view in FlightData screen. (see image below)

I have design custom hardware for camera trigger which uses MAVLink for communications. It also has CAN bus implemented, but as camera triggering it is not yet available in UAVCAN i'm not using it.

Also maybe it is possible to create new camera trigger type (MAVLink). Autopilot should wait for feedback from camera controller, and only then log data controller sent back. Controller could limit trigger rate and also account for trigger delay, this way picture locations would be more precise.

Jesus Alvarez

Nov 24, 2015, 11:03:20 AM11/24/15
to drones-discuss
Great adition Matas.

It is a very useful feature for mapping and surveys.

I would not use footprints but small enough icons to know picture trigger location. Or at least give option (checkbox) to display either non-intrusive small icons or footprints

Matas Razgūnas

Nov 24, 2015, 2:04:24 PM11/24/15
to drones-discuss
I think that maybe separate windows would be great, which would display overlapping image count.

Changing to icons is easy change.

Philip

Nov 24, 2015, 4:38:47 PM11/24/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Arthur dis this for Droid planner! It's awesome, he actually put a trapezoidal shape based on camera coverage due to the angle the aircraft was on at the time.  This allows you to see if you managed to get a thorough coverage.

Icons don't show coverage

If you made the Colorado transparent enough, they would be great on the main page.

Maybe some buttons down the side to enable or disable different information.

Phil

Matas Razgūnas

Nov 24, 2015, 7:53:33 PM11/24/15
to drones-discuss
Right now it doesn't account for attitude of plane... I need to figure out math part :)

Philip Rowse

Nov 24, 2015, 8:22:33 PM11/24/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
have a look at Arthur's work on droid planner, the math is there.... better yet, ask Arthur :)

PHILIP ROWSE
    LEAD SYSTEMS ENGINEER
    3D Robotics Australia
    website | facebook | instagram

Craig Elder

Nov 25, 2015, 11:52:29 AM11/25/15
to drones-discuss
Matas,
The original Camera Control Board was designed with the intention of dealing with the lag between the autopilot trigger and the camera trigger.  https://github.com/sandrobenigno/3dr-camera-ctrl
That project is basically dormant but if you are creating similar hardware that would be very useful.  Are you planning to have onboard storage of the annotation data for the images?

Matas Razgūnas

Nov 25, 2015, 12:23:07 PM11/25/15
to drones-discuss, Craig...@uniserve.com
First revision was put together very fast and it has lot of mistakes. Also it was very specialized to our needs. Current features:
  • STM32F103 MCU (total overkill)
  • CAN bus transceiver
  • UART port
  • IR led driver
  • Adjustable 3.5A switch-mode converter (1V-10V) for camera power
  • Two MOSFETS acting as relays (to short wires coming from camera which is soldered to trigger and power buttons)
  • Dimensions 48x27mm (could be smaller if it was 4-layer board)

Current BOM (~25eur for 1 unit)(connectors are expensive!)
Soon I will be making another revision so any features suggestions are welcome.

Craig Elder

Nov 25, 2015, 1:53:48 PM11/25/15
to Matas Razgūnas, drones-discuss, Jaime Machuca
Matas

I suggest that you post to the Dronecode TSC https://www.dronecode.org/about/governance/technical-steering-committee where we have a MAVlink Camera control working group being lead by Jaime Machuca.

At the moment the TSC list is a bit of ancient technology compared to searching this google group but it is accessable world wide and we are in the process of upgrading it.  You can find the working group here http://lists.dronecode.org/pipermail/dronecode-tsc/2015-September/000151.html

Craig Elder

Nov 25, 2015, 1:56:13 PM11/25/15
to Matas Razgūnas, drones-discuss, Jaime Machuca