22pole low KV 6s motors is there an answer for what ESC will work with them?

Emil Kårlin

Apr 1, 2014, 2:26:42 PM4/1/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Getting frustrated searching allover the web for the answer for what esc will work with 6s and 22pole low kv motors.

I hear allot of people talk about PLUSH 40a but no one is confirming that esc work with 6s. some people say plush and blheli but no one confirming 6s
Someone said blue-series but not confirming 6s

So what I want is to get the final answer.

What ESC will run 22pole 300-400kv motors with 6S.

Would be nice to find the smallest 20a-40a ESC's and what firmware will work.

Jonathan Challinger

Apr 1, 2014, 4:20:59 PM4/1/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
I don't have a confirmed answer, but I've always wanted to try hobbyking YEP ESCs in a multicopter. They have HV versions and they do active freewheeling...

Robert Lefebvre

Apr 1, 2014, 4:54:51 PM4/1/14
to drones-discuss
I've used the YEP 120A ESC with a 480 kV heli motor without issue.  But it's a completely different application, running on governor. That being said, it is possible to run these on external governor, which means the ESC would be following a throttle signal with sharp changes.  I've never ever heard of a sync issue.  Though again, it's completely different application because even though the throttle changes sharply, the RPM does not.

Supposedly there's some crazy sequence you have to do to even put these ESC's in a the mode to follow a throttle signal sharply.

Click on the Vbar English pdf here:

Jonathan Challinger

Apr 1, 2014, 5:13:41 PM4/1/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Well, stick programming the YEP ESCs is awful, I agree.

I bought the progcard for my plane. Turns out active freewheeling was not enabled by default as stated in the manual and the only way to enable it was with the progcard.

Robert Lefebvre

Apr 1, 2014, 5:46:40 PM4/1/14
to drones-discuss
Yeah, the entire situation with YEP ESC's is sketchy, because they are clones of YGE ESC's, and have... stolen their firmware.  So the instructions you are seeing are actually from YGE.  YGE has updated the firmware since whomever copied it for the YEP ESC's.

Emil Kårlin

Apr 2, 2014, 12:03:58 AM4/2/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
I have the yep 60a esc with programing card and it is easy to set them up. Now they are set to auto timing active freewheeling and max throttle response. They are to large to fit my new frame without tiewrapping them to the arms. But I will try them on the bench with the montors when i Recive them.

Robert Lefebvre

Apr 2, 2014, 9:12:49 AM4/2/14
to drones-discuss
I'm really interested to see how they work on multicopters.

Emil Kårlin

Apr 2, 2014, 9:52:45 AM4/2/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
They work great on 3s 2830 900kv,1130kv and 3530 1100kv 12pole.
That is what motors I have used with them.

Will not get my pankake motors until next week probably. So if someone finds out if plush 40a 6s will run 22pole 300-400kv motors reliably I would apriciate the answer.

Emil Kårlin

Apr 2, 2014, 10:01:24 AM4/2/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
I have 3 clips with them in action on 3s

Tricopter 2014 02 17: http://youtu.be/oiGT4zAOIGY
Västkusten summer dreams: http://youtu.be/MgOvmPmNfSg
PID setup and Final Testflight hexarotor.: http://youtu.be/vfJhA3gpeWs

jdennings

Apr 2, 2014, 5:26:08 PM4/2/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Hobbywing Platinum30A are known to work flawlessly with these, had many flights with them at 6S on 390KV motors, one user on RC groups reported 200+ hours with no problem.

There are many reports of burned motors or sync loss with other ESCs, including HK F40 (I burned one), unflashed or flashed with just about any version of SimonK

Cornel Fudulu

Apr 10, 2014, 1:12:58 PM4/10/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
The only option for under-40A is the Hobbywing Platinum Pro 30A opto unit, also found as Tiger Motors 30A opto at almost double the price.

At 40A you have the Hobbyking K-Force as a very good choice. They are heavier, because of the 3A SBEC onboard, but they sport the lowest Rds(on) FETs I ever saw on an ESC with very fast open-rise-fall-close timings. Other good choices are Hobbywing Platinum 40A Pro and Hobbyking Plush 40A.

And if you want to delve into reprogramming them, all the above are supported by BLHeli.

Emil Kårlin

Apr 11, 2014, 11:56:22 AM4/11/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou for a realy good answer.
with al ist this will be helpfoul for alot of people I think.

Ben H

Apr 19, 2014, 4:06:28 PM4/19/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Can confirm that after going through a slew of SimonK esc and motor combos on 6s machines that all ended with disaster, I finally found that the new RCTimer NFS 45amp ones work flawlessly on both my 6s setups with my dji 4114's and the RCT 5010 360kv's on 15" props.

David Dewey

Apr 22, 2014, 3:16:27 AM4/22/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
How about the ZTW Spider OPTO 30A?

john...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2014, 5:34:12 AM4/22/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Low kv, large propeller ESC problems are 99% timing issues. You want an ESC with high internal refresh (typically 24/32khz) and the possibility to set actual timing angles, not just low/mid/high. If so, then you should be able to get a stable low kv setup. Of course provided that the motor is not overloaded by to large a propeller, that no timing or ESC can help with.

In that regard, it is important when using large propellers to make sure you select light weight ones. Around 15" is a size where the more expensive CF propellers really are worth it.

- JAB

Charles Taylor

Apr 23, 2014, 6:45:33 PM4/23/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
I have been flying a quad with tmotor mn4010-475kv on 3s with 16" APC MR props.  I am using plush 40 speed controllers with BLheli flashed on them with damag compensation turned up.  No issues as of yet.  I have a couple hours so far on this setup.

Emil Kårlin

Apr 26, 2014, 8:05:57 PM4/26/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
I bougt the hobbywing 30a pro esc with programing box. Finished building my new y6 today and had a testfligt. It seems to work flawless. Setup multistar 4108 380kv 6s 14" t-style prop 2x3000mah 6s. Get < +-1g vibrations on the frame. Hover at 40% perfect althold and rock solid loiter. Avg 16a according to log.
16a on 6000mah i get 0.375 when deviding 6/16 i guess that tells me ~20min flighttime?