Wind speed is always zero on my IRIS logs

Prasad Nair

Nov 23, 2015, 1:12:51 PM11/23/15
to drones-discuss
When I look at the dataflash logs from my IRIS, the wind speeds VWN and VWE under EKF2 are always zero.

I was hoping that wind speed will be estimated from the vehicle dynamics. I saw a post on it from Paul Riseborough - where he does estimate it from the vehicle dynamics. At the same time, I see code pertaining to wind velocity in the ardupilot repository. Is this meant to display values only when there is a separate wind sensor? I am new to this code base and wanted to ask the experts here before I spend days digesting the complex Kalman filter code.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Prasad Nair

Tom Pittenger

Nov 23, 2015, 1:14:08 PM11/23/15
to drones-discuss
It definitely works in Plane, I'll let someone else comment about Copter.

Paul Riseborough

Nov 23, 2015, 7:28:06 PM11/23/15
to drones-discuss
Prasad,

The EKF updates I was working on to do wind estimation for copters have not made it into master yet.

-Paul

Prasad Nair

Nov 24, 2015, 7:53:31 PM11/24/15
to drones-discuss
Thanks for the update Paul. Is there a rough timeline on bringing this onto the master?

-Prasad

Paul Riseborough

Nov 25, 2015, 6:58:04 AM11/25/15
to drones-discuss
That depends on the level of interest, how much testing it can get on different copters and also if I can work out a way to make measurement of the required parameters easier. It currently requires the user to fly the copter at a 25 degree pitch and then a roll long enough upwind and downwind for the speed to asymptote, analyse the results and enter the max speed, corrected for wind drift, as user parameters.  The problem is that it requires a level of  flight test and data analysis that most of our users will struggle to complete.

The branch that implements it on EKF2 is here you are interested:

-Paul