nsh over USB

Srikanth Saripalli

Oct 13, 2013, 1:29:11 AM10/13/13
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of porting the APMrover2 sonar driver to the Pixhawk. I would like to run a debug console on USB while running the 3DR radio over serial. In this way I can login via the usb console and then check processes and also see cpu/ram utilization.

From the nutty-configs it seems to me that setting

CONFIG_CDCACM_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_NO_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

and commenting the below line

CONFIG_UART8_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y

should get me what I want i.e., a USB console (if usb is connected during boot) and mavlink via UART.

Before I change this, I would like to know if this would cause other serious issues? Would it still be able to upload code using make px4-v2-upload etc.

Thanks,
-Sri

Craig Elder

Oct 14, 2013, 1:03:42 AM10/14/13
to drones-discuss
Sri,

You can make a cable that will connect the Pixhawk console port (the one labeled Serial 4/5 )  to an FTDI cable and use another serial port on your computer to access the NSH shell.  This will allow you to connect normally by USB or Radio telemetry and monitor the Pixhawk using the second serial port.  There is also great debugging information there too.

Pixhawk    FTDI
1 +5V           N/C
2  Tx             5   Rx
3  Rx            4   Tx
4  Tx             N/C
5  Rx            N/C
6  GND        1

I appreciate you jumping in and working on this.

Thanks,

Craig

Andrew Buck

Mar 24, 2015, 4:19:01 PM3/24/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to do something similar to what the original poster was trying to do, which is get an NSH shell over the normal Pixhawk USB port. Right now, all I can get is the Mavlink interface. I'd like to be able to disable the Mavlink interface and use the USB as an NSH shell instead. I have played with the CONFIG_CDCACM_CONSOLE and CONFIG_NO_SERIAL_CONSOLE parameters, but they seem to have no affect. What are the correct parameters to set to make this happen?

Thanks,
Andrew

Grant Morphett

Mar 27, 2015, 6:24:20 PM3/27/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com

Kevin Hester

Mar 27, 2015, 6:27:15 PM3/27/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Grant, I think Andrew is trying to do something a bit different - he wants to start up a CDCACM device that serves as an NSH shell (rather than going through a FTDI adapter).

Andrew, I think what you propose would be great.  In the past it did not work, but it sounds like you are on the right track with what you are trying.

Kevin