Somebody want to look at arducopter's Flip?

Randy Mackay

Apr 15, 2014, 12:01:43 AM4/15/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com

     I was trying out flip yesterday as part of investigating the issue below and I found out that it’s working fine except that it loses quite a bit of altitude after the flip (at least 10m).

      https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/issues/907

     Would anybody be interested in having a look at flip and see if they can maybe:

a)      reduce the altitude loss

b)      add the ability to loop forward or backwards?

     If you want to get really fancy you could add the ability to do a flip as part of a mission.  Instructions for creating new MAVLink messages are here:

         http://dev.ardupilot.com/wiki/code-overview-adding-a-new-mavlink-message/

     The code is quite concise and it’s all in the control_flip.pde so it’s not too hard to get your head around and modify (I think).

      https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/blob/master/ArduCopter/control_flip.pde

     I’m happy to give any help or advice is the person (or  people) get stuck.

-Randy

Jason Short

Apr 20, 2014, 8:46:33 PM4/20/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Randy,

I started this work on Flip. The current version on Master is not safe and I wouldn't attempt to fly it. There are some bugs introduced in the refactoring that need to be fixed. If you toggle CH 7 the flip will begin, but untoggling CH7 will attempt to exit the flip prematurely. This is different from every previous version of the implementation which will cause people to trigger it and exit the mode while the copter is upside down leading to a crash.

In the simulator the copter exits the mode with a 30° command in the direction of the flip. It needs about 10 seconds for that to fade out before it can return to normal and fly in control. My guess is the acceleration dampening code.

Jason