Throttle input replacement with expo function

Leonard Hall

Jun 21, 2016, 11:23:30 PM6/21/16
to drones-discuss
Hi all,

I would like to get people's feedback and thoughts on using an expo function to generate the throttle output from the stick input. Currently we generate two straight lines between the minimum and hover throttle and hover throttle and maximum (shown in red in the graphs below).

I am considering replacing the pair of straight lines the expo function here:
Th_out = Th_in*(1-expo) + expo*Th_in*Th_in*Th_in

This function can achieve a throttle mid range of 12.5% to 68.75%. We can calculate the expo to achieve a given throttle mid value using the function:
expo = -(Thr_Mid-0.5)/0.375

The main issue I see here is the limited range that we can set the mid throttle to.
The main issue I see this addressing is the change in throttle sensitivity as we move from just below mid throttle to just above mid throttle. I suspect this is giving arducopter a poor feel to pilots flying powerful copters with low hover throttle.

I am looking forward to your feedback and ideas!!

Thanks,
Leonard

The pictures below show a range of curves and compare what we have to what I am suggesting.

Leonard Hall

Jun 22, 2016, 12:18:15 AM6/22/16
to drones-discuss

Leonard Hall

Jun 23, 2016, 8:04:12 PM6/23/16
to drones-discuss
Hi all,

I am assuming by the number of views this post has had without anybody feeling the need to reply that nobody has anything negative to say about this concept.

If this isn't correct, please don't be backwards about being forward!!

I will be looking at adding this to master in the next week.

Thanks!!

Leonard