Core developers, introduce yourself!

Stefan Gofferje

Apr 13, 2014, 5:52:17 AM4/13/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

in an attempt to choke some developer-bashing in the ardupilot.com forum
before it begins, I wrote a fairly short but fiery profile of Tridge
there. S.
http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=7173&p=15180#p15180

The user iskess suggested in a reply to my post that we should have
short profiles of all (core-) developers.

I think, that's a really good idea and I think, something like this
could be in the Wiki.

Putting faces (and short bios) to the names, would bring more of a
feeling of closeness to the community plus it would make those
occasional competency- and other developer-bashing sessions at RCG and
elsewhere a good deal harder to justify.

-S

--
(o_ Stefan Gofferje | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
//\ Reg'd Linux User #247167 | VCP #2263

Josh Welsh

Apr 13, 2014, 6:17:03 AM4/13/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Should we perhaps just update the ones on DIYD?

Gary McCray

Apr 13, 2014, 12:34:56 PM4/13/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John and Stefan,
I think this is a great idea.
The problem with the existing (Meet the developer) pages on the DIYD site is access.
First you have to go to the Developers page under one of the vehicle types.
Then you have to search down the page for the bottom line under "how the team works"
Then you have to select the desired developer from an alphabetized list with no differentiation by contribution.
Then it will take you to their meet the developer Blog if they have one or their home page if they don't (most don't).
An improved system with access by contribution type and scope would be a really good idea and one with a link to the access page directly from the main page drop down menu would be good.
Best Regards,
Gary

Stefan Gofferje

Apr 13, 2014, 1:29:35 PM4/13/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Jeps, I actually didn't know those pages exist on DIYD.
With the Wiki, we could do about everything.
We could even have a subdomain like meettheteam.ardupilot.com and then
have some kind of standardized page-layout for the bios.
And of course, big links in the menubar.

As a front page, I would think of something like a photo-wall. A
table/matrix just with small photos and the name below it (sorted
alphabetically), together with the DIYD/ardupilot.com username or
nickname. Click on the small photo and you get to the bio.

-S

On 04/13/2014 07:34 PM, Gary McCray wrote:
> Hi John and Stefan,
> I think this is a great idea.
> The problem with the existing (Meet the developer) pages on the DIYD
> site is access.
> First you have to go to the Developers page under one of the vehicle types.
> Then you have to search down the page for the bottom line under "how the
> team works"
> Where it says Current and Past Dev Team members
> <http://planner.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-team/>

Craig Elder

Apr 14, 2014, 7:20:20 PM4/14/14
to drones-discuss
Just in case it is not clear from Gary's reply the list is here, http://planner.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-team/

It does look like it needs to be updated.

Stefan Gofferje

Apr 15, 2014, 2:35:54 AM4/15/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
On 04/15/2014 02:20 AM, Craig Elder wrote:
> Just in case it is not clear from Gary's reply the list is
> here, http://planner.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-team/

Hmm, that's links to "meet the developer"-pages, links to DIYD-profiles,
etc...
A little bit more heterogeneous than I had in mind with my proposal :).
And hard to find too.
How do you like my proposal of a dedicated ardupilot.com subdomain with
nicely made and standardized Wordpress pages for each developer?

Marco Robustini

Apr 15, 2014, 2:51:22 AM4/15/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Wow, i'm out of the game, nice... ;-)

Marco

David Pawlak

Apr 18, 2014, 12:49:31 PM4/18/14
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
It's helped me a lot being here! Watching the challenges and knowing how and where things are going.

Don't know how to get that kind of stuff to everybody, I guess it's obvious that they can't all come here, but if there was some way to resume the dev call or something for the puiblic.... where it's perhaps read only....

Don't know what any negative implications would be.... not everybody is a programmer and may not understand the logic behind the decisions..... just a thought though.

Craig Elder

Apr 18, 2014, 1:16:17 PM4/18/14
to drones-discuss
>>>if there was some way to resume the dev call or something for the puiblic
the dev call takes place every Monday evening PDT and the minutes of the call are published in this group