Angle of Attach Sensor for stall prevention and flight

Jason Franciosa

Oct 1, 2015, 9:59:42 AM10/1/15
to drones-discuss
Continuing the discussion from Toms post about his Stall.

If we could develop a cost effective AOA sensor that is reliable I think this is the ultimate solution for stall prevention. Although, I don't think it completely rules out the need for stall detection and recovery as nothing is 100% bullet proof.

Jason Franciosa

Oct 1, 2015, 10:00:47 AM10/1/15
to drones-discuss
Whoops, I mean Angle of Attack sensor not Attach.

Tom Pittenger

Oct 1, 2015, 12:29:12 PM10/1/15
to drones-discuss
Id' say this discussion warrents an issue instead of a DD thread. Lets use this: https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/issues/2928

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Jason Franciosa <jason.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
Whoops, I mean Angle of Attack sensor not Attach.

Philip Rowse

Oct 1, 2015, 4:53:33 PM10/1/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
agreed

PHILIP ROWSE
    LEAD SYSTEMS ENGINEER
    3D Robotics Australia
    website | facebook | instagram

Dave Skipper

Oct 3, 2015, 6:07:31 PM10/3/15
to drones-discuss

Here is a Board Jurgen is working on for a AOA sensor;

Size: 18 x 30 mm

Tom Pittenger

Oct 3, 2015, 6:18:46 PM10/3/15
to drones-discuss

Looks rather large. Dont all we need is two differential baros?

Philip Rowse

Oct 3, 2015, 6:21:23 PM10/3/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
That one is the vane style, CANBUS.

Either method should work.

PHILIP ROWSE
    LEAD SYSTEMS ENGINEER
    3D Robotics

Tom Pittenger

Oct 3, 2015, 6:59:24 PM10/3/15
to drones-discuss

Does it really warrant an entire co-processor?

Philip Rowse

Oct 3, 2015, 7:07:19 PM10/3/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Either method will work... Technically there is a processor in the diff sensor as well.  Whatever works.

The advantage of CAN, is that you won't need to worry about noise in your connections.

The disadvantage... Early days, so nothing is very developed yet.

PHILIP ROWSE
    LEAD SYSTEMS ENGINEER
    3D Robotics
    website | facebook | Instagram

Dave Skipper

Oct 3, 2015, 7:36:05 PM10/3/15
to drones-discuss
I have asked Jürgen to post a more detailed description, it is based on the DIY solution with the Rotational Encoder and Ball bearing, it could have uses in other applications other than a AOA sensor.

Hope fully have some CANESC's soon;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxS4nKm0ha4

Philip

Oct 4, 2015, 12:14:10 AM10/4/15
to drones-...@googlegroups.com
Nice.

Are you going OSHW?

Federico Mari

Oct 5, 2015, 10:54:52 AM10/5/15
to drones-discuss
I started the same project about a year ago, to achieve more efficient cruising and more safe landings on large airframes.
I designed few different prototypes and tried to convince few developers that an AoA sensor was a great thing to have. Unfortunately there wasn't interest and I'm unable to write the firmware for them so the project got to a stand still.

My prototype was based on a Vane style with Hall effect sensor as encoder. CAN bus was the only reasonable choice for me too.
1_rev_1.2.JPG
3_rev_1.2.JPG
4_rev_1.2.JPG
IMG_3645.JPG

Robert Lefebvre

Oct 5, 2015, 11:29:47 AM10/5/15
to drones-discuss
Very nice!

Dave Skipper

Oct 5, 2015, 7:07:04 PM10/5/15
to drones-discuss
Please see Jurgens post here for more details of the AOA sensor.