Run DRIOD using Java

ArunKumar Palaniswamy

Mar 28, 2017, 3:25:18 AM3/28/17
to droid-list

Hi,

I am new to the DROID. Could someone help me or provide some documentation on how to use DROID source code to extract the file format details using a simple java program.

Paul Young

Mar 28, 2017, 4:15:24 AM3/28/17
to droid-list
Hi,

Could you provide us some more information about what you are trying to do? You can download the latest version of DROID from this link http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/manage-information/preserving-digital-records/droid/ there is also a link to some guidance on using DROID there. You can access the DROID source code on Github https://github.com/digital-preservation/droid, DROID get's it information from PRONOM file format registry, you can download the latest signature files from here https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/aboutapps/pronom/droid-signature-files.htm

All the best,

Paul Young
Digital Archivist
The National Archives

ArunKumar Palaniswamy

Mar 28, 2017, 10:03:26 AM3/28/17
to droid-list
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

We are extracting the content from a source system using our own java utility for archival. For long term preservation we would like to use the 'PUID' for the file format identification. So I would like to use DROID API in my source code to fetch the 'PUID' for a given file.

The user guide what I found was to use Java Swing or Command Line Interface DROID tool that will take input as folder or file from file system and generates the report.

So could please let me know if you can share any API documents for DROID and the required jars files to be imported to fetch the 'PUID' for a given file using a simple java program.

Regards,
Arun.

Matt Palmer

Mar 29, 2017, 2:47:53 AM3/29/17
to droid-list
Hi Arun,

There isn't a specific API for DROID to my knowledge or any documentation on using it programmatically. I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of any.

The simplest way I know to do this is to look at the command line project. From this it is fairly easy to see how to invoke the right classes to identify PUIDs.

Regards

Matt

Andy Jackson

Mar 29, 2017, 9:41:10 AM3/29/17
to droid-list
Hi Arun,

I assembled a slightly modified version of Droid for this purpose, called Nanite: https://github.com/openpreserve/nanite

It's available via Maven Central (http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Ceu.scape-project.nanite%7Cnanite-core%7C1.3.1-89%7Cjar), is up to date, has been tested against the Skeleton Test Suite (https://github.com/exponential-decay/skeleton-test-suite-generator), and has been run at scale.

Hope that helps,
Andy Jackson

ArunKumar Palaniswamy

Mar 30, 2017, 2:29:36 AM3/30/17