Different PUID and results between command-line and GUI

Raphaël Gillet

Jul 10, 2017, 10:54:45 AM7/10/17
to droid-list
Hi,

I just discover Droid and tried to do some things using droid by command-line (my unique option for what I do), here is my problem :

C:\Users\..\..\..\..\fichiers\test1.docx,fmt/189

is the last line given by command-line use, 189 correspond to  "Microsoft Office Open XML" that's right BUT :

PUID : fmt/412

is given by the GUI, corresponding to "Microsoft Word for Windows" which is more precise in the xml file and gives the extensions just below

I expect the command-line to give this "412" to allow me to read throught the xml file to get back extensions and check if it matches, and that can't work with the code "189"

So is there any way to get more than 1 code from the xml file ? Or at least the same as the GUI version

Thanks

Paul Young

Jul 10, 2017, 12:03:27 PM7/10/17
to droid-list
Hi Raphaël,

Could I check what command you are running and whether you are using profile or no-profile mode? DROID should prioritise the more specific identification.

If using the no-profile mode fmt/412 uses a container signature so would require adding that to the command to get that identification rather than less specific fmt/189. i.e. droid -Nr C:\Users\pyoung\test.docx -Ns "C:\Users\pyoung\.droid6\signature_files\DROID_SignatureFile_V90.xml" -Nc "C:\Users\pyoung\.droid6\container_sigs\container-signature-20170330.xml"

Best,

Paul

Paul Young

Digital Archivist

02039089175

The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU

nationalarchives.gov.uk

Raphaël

Jul 10, 2017, 3:29:43 PM7/10/17
to droid-list
I'm using exactly this kind of command :
=> droid -Nr C:\Users\..\test.docx -Ns "C:\Users\...\DROID_SignatureFile_V90.xml

Does I need to add the -Nc "C:\Users\pyoung\.droid6\container_sigs\container-signature-20170330.xml" option&file  ? I found the container signature on the website, i've download it but i didn't understand what it was for so i didn't use it

Raphaël

Jul 10, 2017, 4:08:05 PM7/10/17
to droid-list
So I just tried with the Nc option and yes it gives me the 412 I expected ;) But can you explain me what is the purpose of this option and the container Signature file ?

also, what does :
22:04:25,872  WARN [main] InternalSignature:223 - Signature [id:18010] will always scan up to maximum bytes.
 means ?

Young, Paul

Jul 11, 2017, 11:52:40 AM7/11/17
to droid...@googlegroups.com

From DROID version 6 we brought in container signatures, these are for ZIP based files or OLE2 formats for which we can obtain more specific identification by looking at the structure of the file. If the binary signature identifies a file as one of the trigger puids, fmt/111, fmt/189 or x-fmt/263 it will then use the container signature to see if it matches anything with this. There is a blog by Ross Spencer which goes into more detail about container signatures http://openpreservation.org/blog/2016/01/07/droid-container-signature-files-what-they-are-and-how-to-create-them-a-template-and-an-example-or-few/

The warning relates to container signatures where DROID scans these it is ignoring the default maximum bytes to scan and using the ranges we specify in the container signature. We’re investigating whether this warning message is appropriate or if we can make it more clear.

All the best,

Paul

Paul Young

Digital Archivist

02039089175

The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU

nationalarchives.gov.uk

National Archives Disclaimer

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the
individual(s) to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient and
have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the email.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do
not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor
endorsed by it.

Raphaël

Jul 13, 2017, 3:48:01 AM7/13/17
to droid-list