Droid help - running

SMG

Jan 21, 2014, 10:56:34 PM1/21/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!

I'm having some difficulties actually running Droid v.6.1.3. I have installed it, and have tried to run the Windows Batch file (as I think was suggested for Windows users in the Running DROID document when it said to run the droid.bat file). However my laptop refuses to run it, saying "Windows cannot find 'javaw.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I have also tried the other documents, with little results. What is the best way to work with this?

Lehane, Richard

Jan 21, 2014, 11:05:34 PM1/21/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sabrina

Droid requires Java 1.6 or 1.7 to be installed. Is Java installed on your laptop? You can check by opening a command prompt and typing “java –version”.

You can install Java from http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Sabrina Gorse

Jan 22, 2014, 7:29:16 PM1/22/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Thank you! I've downloaded 1.7 (Version 7) of Java, but I am still having difficulties. I've asked my professor about it and he said that javaw is not in my "system's default path." I've tried working with the settings for my computer to remedy this, but that hasn't provided much results. Still, thank you for your help :)

Lehane, Richard

Jan 22, 2014, 7:59:00 PM1/22/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sabrina

Your professor is right: the java binaries need to be in your system’s path. You can check this by opening a command prompt and typing “java –version”. If that command returns the version information, then you are in business.

If not:

-          The Windows java installer will typically put the java binaries in your path by copying them to the “c:\windows\system32” folder. You can navigate to that folder and use the find function to see if “java” returns any results (should be three including javaw.exe).

-          A second alternative, and the thing to do if those binaries aren’t already in your system32 folder, is to edit your system’s PATH environment variable. There are instructions for this here: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml and here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14004851/javaw-exe-cannot-find-path. The content you need to add to the PATH variable is the location of your newly installed Java 1.7 (something like C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin – look it up by navigating around your Program Files or Program Files (x86) directories, include the full path to the \bin)

Sabrina Gorse

Jan 22, 2014, 9:15:41 PM1/22/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Thank you. I'll work on it some more, and try to get it working. Thank you so much for guiding me in solving this issue :)

Sabrina Gorse

Jan 22, 2014, 10:38:31 PM1/22/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com
I got it to work! Thank you!