Is TMP a useful extension to be added to certain formats in PRONOM, e.g. Word 6.0 and Word 97-2003

ross-spencer

Feb 20, 2015, 10:11:06 PM2/20/15
to droid...@googlegroups.com
HI All,

We've a number of Word *.TMP files we're investigating and we're contemplating methods of ingesting them.

What is the consensus to it being a useful extension we can ask TNA to add to PRONOM? - My thoughts are that TMP can appear in far too many places (although I can't think of other practical examples, other than user's own naming conventions). But then we all know it is a valid file created by word at certain points when using the tool.

Thoughts on the matter appreciated.

Cheers,

Ross

Dclipsham

Apr 10, 2015, 8:18:20 AM4/10/15
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ross,

I'm currently of the opinion that Word (for example) creates many different *.tmp for many different reasons, some with markedly different structures, as outlined here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/211632

Generally speaking (although not as an absolute rule - context is always key), I'd suggest that these are normally not materially significant the the outcome - i.e. the record/document that is ultimately produced, therefore the presence of a *.tmp file that identifies as a Word Document, combined with the fact of an extension mismatch, is more of a research trigger: Why do we have these? Do we want them? Is there an associated file that is ultimately the canonical record?

So my feeling is that .tmp is generally not a useful extension as far as PRONOM is concerned, rather its absence as an extension is more useful from a data/record curation perspective.

Alternative perspectives gratefully received...

David