Question about droid profile initialization

Lorraine Richards

May 5, 2014, 1:18:50 PM5/5/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I installed droid and opened it. I created a new profile and added a folder to it. However, at the bottom right-side of the droid application window, the status message "initialising profile" occurs and it has been sitting at this status for about 15 minutes, with no observable change in the status bar (it is still showing up as if no progress has occurred). Is this normal and if not, do you have any advice on how I can determine what is going on?

Thank you,
Lori

Jarrett M. Drake

May 6, 2014, 12:28:13 PM5/6/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lori,

I installed droid on a Mac and have experienced the same issue. If I figure out how to fix it, I'll be sure to let you know. In the meanwhile, I am also curious to know if others have run into this problem?

Regards,

Jarrett

Dclipsham

May 7, 2014, 6:13:22 AM5/7/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Hi both,

The first thing to check is whether you have a compatible version of Java running. DROID should run on Java 6 - any version from v22, and any Java 7 version. DROID is not yet tested with Java 8, but I've heard reports that it is not currently compatible and we are planning on adding support in a future version.

To check your java version:
In Windows 7, open a command prompt by pressing the start key, and typing 'cmd' in the 'search files and folders' input box. Next type 'java -version' in the command prompt window and you should get an output similar to the following:
java version "1.7.0_45"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode, sharing)

On a mac, you should be able to open a terminal window, then type 'java -version' to get this output.

If you don't have a compatible java version installed, then I would recommend grabbing the latest version of Java 7 - https://www.java.com/en/download/

If you do have a compatible version of java, please could you check what version of DROID you are running? This should be visible at the top of the window when you open DROID. The latest version is 6.1.3. versions prior to 6.1.1 are not compatible with Java 7. The latest version of DROID is downloadable here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/projects-and-work/droid.htm

David

Jarrett M. Drake

May 8, 2014, 9:57:23 PM5/8/14
to droid...@googlegroups.com

Hi David,

I do indeed have the latest version of DROID, but my command line output is as follows:

java version "1.8.0"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.0-b70, mixed mode)

It appears that you were right, DROID is not yet compatible with Java 8. Thanks for your response!

Regards,

Jarrett