Excluding scanning inside ISO disk images

euanc

May 2, 2018, 3:19:21 PM5/2/18
to droid-list
Hello,

Is there any way to force DROID not to scan inside ISO disk images?
It doesn't appear to be included in the container scan toggle option (i.e. turning off scanning inside containers doesn't appear to affect whether it scans inside ISO files).

Thanks,

Euan

Matt Palmer

May 3, 2018, 1:59:58 AM5/3/18
to droid-list
Hi Euan,

Iso disk images are archive files (files which contain other files, e.g.zip), not container files (file formats defined using an internal file system (e.g. Docx)

Can't remember if there's an option to turn off scanning inside archive files in droid?

Regards

Matt

Euan Cochrane

May 3, 2018, 8:17:27 PM5/3/18
to droid...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Thanks for this.
Looking further into this it looks my situation is that the disk images I'm scanning have a .img extension but are identified as ISO disk image files by DROID (and are such). Given that, this behaviour could be seen as a bug. I.e. the files inside the ISO disk images are being scanned despite the archive scan setting (the setting that lists ISO as an archive format) being deselected. It's certainly debatable whether the files are 'ISO's or not, but DROID says that they are so that seems like a reasonable confirmation!

So, do you think this could be fixed?

Thanks,

Euan

Matt Palmer

May 10, 2018, 3:52:52 PM5/10/18
to droid-list
Hi Euan,

You're correct that DROID doesn't really use the file extension - it mostly relies on signatures.  So when it sees an ISO disk image from a signature, no matter what the extension, that's what it will say it is.

If DROID is scanning inside ISO images when you have unselected archive file scanning in the preferences, that would indeed be a bug. I tried it on my machine, and it didn't scan inside any zip files when I deselected this option - I don't have any ISO images to hand to test that file type.

Anyway - if you can confirm that on entirely new profiles with this preference change already made, you are seeing scanning inside archive files (specifically ISO images) then I think you need to report a bug to the National Archives.  It shouldn't scan inside any archive files if the option to do so is off on that profile.

I no longer work for the National Archives, so not sure where issues should be reported now...

Regards,

Matt.

On 3 May 2018 at 01:59, Matt Palmer <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Euan,

Iso disk images are archive files (files which contain other files, e.g.zip), not container files (file formats defined using an internal file system (e.g. Docx)

Can't remember if there's an option to turn off scanning inside archive files in droid?

Regards

Matt

Jenny Hunt NRS

May 11, 2018, 8:21:22 AM5/11/18
to droid-list
Hi guys

I have seen a similar issue myself with scanning inside zip and warc files, that sometimes DROID doesn't behave as you would expect when the boxes are ticked or not ticked. Since this ISO issue has come up I will look into this better and report it too.

Jenny

Dclipsham

May 11, 2018, 12:47:06 PM5/11/18
to droid-list
Hi Euan,

Euan, if I understand the problem correctly:
You scan an ISO file with the 'Analyse contents of archive files' turned on. DROID analyses the contents as expected.
You then toggle off the 'Analyse contents...' option, scan the same file, and it still analyses the contents, against expectation.

I am unable to replicate this issue locally. I have also tried changing the extension to .img, but this has had no effect. For me, the identification icon appears as if it is an archival format, however is does not 'open up' into a deeper scan, and exporting the report as CSV only gives me the one ISO file, not its contents.

So, is there anything unusual about your environment? Which operating system are you using? Which Java version? Are you running DROID as a component of a wider tool workflow? Are you running the CLI version? Would it be possible to share the file with us at pro...@nationalarchives.gov.uk (I assume it is large so a cloud file sharing service may be more suitable, if acceptable to you).

David