hadoop provided dependency

Koert Kuipers

Mar 12, 2015, 3:28:36 PM3/12/15
to drake-w...@googlegroups.com
did you ever consider building drake with the hadoop dependency specified as "provided"? if you build it against say hadoop 1.0.4 and allow the user to add hadoop to classpath at runtime then it will run against all hadoop distros i am aware of...

Aaron Crow

Apr 14, 2015, 9:30:14 PM4/14/15
to drake-w...@googlegroups.com, ko...@tresata.com
Thanks Koert for the suggestion. To make sure I understand, what exactly would it look like for the user "to add hadoop to the classpath at runtime"? I guess that would be a modified -cp in Drake's startup script?

Koert Kuipers

Apr 15, 2015, 9:49:40 PM4/15/15
to Aaron Crow, drake-w...@googlegroups.com
yes. drake script would call "hadoop classpath" and add results of that to its own jvm classpath. a lot of software for hadoop
does this. i am unsure if this would mean drake would fail to launch if hadoop is not installed. if so​,​ that might be undesirable. does drake use classes from hadoop dependency even if hdfs is not used?​