Special Olympics!

Kim B Brandt

Feb 22, 2017, 1:25:57 PM2/22/17
to Down Syndrome Support Group Thurston County, Mark Barker, Kim Brandt, Becca Brandt
Hi all, Mark Barker, the Director of Special Olympics WA in our Timberland Area, presented their available programs this year at our monthly meeting last night, and he discussed possible future programs and sports such as Bocce Ball and Golf if there is enough interest.  Here is the Spring Flyer for current available sports’ sign ups:

Special Olympics Spring 2017_20170222_0001.pdf
Special Olympics Spring 2017 Young Athletes_20170222_0001.pdf

Eric Bamer

Feb 22, 2017, 9:43:19 PM2/22/17
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
Did he say if the sports were age bracketed?? Specifically track and field?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 22, 2017, at 10:25 AM, Kim B Brandt <kimbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all, Mark Barker, the Director of Special Olympics WA in our Timberland Area, presented their available programs this year at our monthly meeting last night, and he discussed possible future programs and sports such as Bocce Ball and Golf if there is enough interest.  Here is the Spring Flyer for current available sports’ sign ups:

<Special Olympics Spring 2017_20170222_0001.pdf>

8 y/o’s and up are eligible at no cost with uniforms and equipment provided for all sports; just email Mark or call as listed above, for questions and to sign up.  Their website is:  http://specialolympicswashington.org/areas/pierce-thurston-lewis-capitol/

They are considering starting a ‘Young Athletes’ program for 2 to 7 y/o’s, too:

<Special Olympics Spring 2017 Young Athletes_20170222_0001.pdf>

Special Olympics in Thurston County was previously funded in the Parks & Rec budget, but it was cut due to inadequate legislative funding about 7 years ago; so they totally depend on donations to stay afloat.  Please consider donating to Special Olympics with 'Special Olympics WA’ on the check with an earmark note 'to Thurston County Restricted Fund', as our SPUDS Group has done each year from our Buddy Walk funds.

They are in desperate need of a place to play basketball this year since it’s hard to get available space at schools, and prices to rent a court have gone way up.  If anyone knows if an indoor basketball court at a Church or other nonprofit might be available, please let Mark Barker or Becca or Kim Brandt know.  Also, each Fall Special Olympics Timberland Area helps the Knights of Columbus with their 'Tootsie Roll Fund Drive' (like we have done at least once in the past at Walmart) to raise funds, and it would be nice if we could get a few people to help staff their 4 hour weekend stations this Fall, in addition to our doing it for our Group separately.

Many many thanks to Mark and his great and caring Special Olympics team!

Take Care,

Kim

Rebecca Brandt

Feb 23, 2017, 1:40:15 PM2/23/17
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
I think it's 8 and older.  You can call or email to find out.    Becca

Sent from my iPhone