Fwd: DSC April Newsletter

1 view

Rebecca Brandt

Apr 8, 2017, 1:25:50 PM4/8/17
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
This is the newsletter for the Seattle Down syndrome group.  Lots of good information and ideas.      Becca

Begin forwarded message:

From: Down Syndrome Community of Puget Sound <ma...@downsyndromecommunity.org>
Subject: DSC April Newsletter
Date: April 7, 2017 at 1:55:01 PM PDT

April 2017 Newsletter
In This Issue
"Spotlight On"
On World Down Syndrome Day, the DSC debuted our brand new logo. The new design was a collaboration between the DSC Board of Directors and Nik Harber, graphic designer at Groovypearl Designs. We explained our vision, and he brought it to life. For this month's Spotlight On interview, we thought we'd get to know the man behind the logo.

Tell us a little about yourself:
I'm a UK based creative type person in my 40's (I like to think of it as years of experience). I have a love of comics and sci-fi. That led me to join the 501st Legion, a world wide Star Wars costuming club which helps raise money for many deserving charities. I get to dress up in armor and help others - it's a win win situation. I'm a graphic designer, illustrator and retoucher. In the past I have worked in design studios and for publishers but last year I took the leap and went freelance. Now I design two monthly magazines and illustrate for another - it keeps me busy.

To get to know Nik Harber better, check out the entire post on the DSC website.

Stay Connected

Facebook   Follow us on Twitter   View on Instagram

Support the DSC While Shopping!

Please check the DSC online

regularly!
Join the DSC Board of Directors
This is an exciting time to be a part of the DSC Board!
The Down Syndrome Community has openings for new board members! Join our energetic working board now and help shape our future. If you're looking for a way to volunteer with a passionate group of people in a fulfilling role, you've found the right place. Help us continue to innovate and evolve into an organization that provides meaningful programs, events, and resources to all our members. We are in particular need of board members with fundraising experience.

If interested, please fill out this application. The application deadline is Friday,
April 21
.

For more information, contact Alison Winfield.

This notice is the call for DSC Board of Directors nominees.
Spring Fling!
It's that time of year for our Annual Meeting and Big Time Talent Show!!
When:  May 20, 5:30 - 8:00 PM
Where:  Highland Community Center, 14224 Bel-Red Rd, Bellevue, WA 98007
The RSVP and Talent Show sign-up will be emailed later this month or visit our website for more information.

DSC Friends Meet-Ups
Babies/Toddlers (ages 0-3)
Contact: Jessieca Graff jess...@gmail.com

Potluck Brunch and a Movie
Saturday, April 29, 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM
The Graf House in Maple Valley, hosted by Jessieca Graf
Fun for all the families to get together and enjoy good food and company while the kids have plenty of room to play with toys and each other. If weather permits we can go on a nature walk, as well.
RSVPJessieca Graf for address, or look for details on our DSC Friends 0-3Facebook page.
Kids (ages 4-7)
Contact: Alison Friend Burchett paper...@hotmail.com
Check out our DSC Friends 4-7 Facebook page for the latest Friends Meet-Ups!

Karate Class
Saturday, April 29 at 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Alpha Martial Arts - Bryant location, 2923 NE Blakeley St, Seattle, WA 98105
Please dress the kids in comfortable clothing since they will be learning some kicks and punches. The parents will hopefully will be able to go to the coffee shop on the corner and have a brief chat.
RSVP: Sonja or Jessica by April 15, or on our DSC Friends Tweens Facebook Event page.

Painting!
Saturday, May 13, 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Wunderkind 3318 NE 55th St, Seattle, WA 98105
This is a Tween only event due to materials and needing an RSVP. Please join us! If you have older siblings that would like to help with the project please let us know. If we get enough helpers the parents can go grab coffee nearby.
RSVP: Sonja or Jessica by May 11, or on our DSC Friends Tweens Facebook Event page.
Teens (ages 13-19)
Contact: Kate O'Leary kate....@outlook.com
Check out our DSC Friends Teens Facebook page for the latest Friends Meet-Ups!
Transitions and Beyond (and anyone else wanting to learn)
Contact: Sue Adelman sadel...@me.com
Check out our DSC Facebook page for the latest Transition and Beyond information and Friends Meet-Ups!
Moms' Night Out

Dinner with Friends!
Saturday, April 22, 7:00 PM
2C Thai,12506 Lake City Way NE Seattle
Overview of Children's Services
For Children with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities
Click HERE for a document that will familiarize you with some of the main considerations, public benefits, and resources that are relevant for children age 0-18 with intellectual or developmental disabilities (I/DD) in King County. If you want to learn more, have questions, or would like to talk about your situation please contact:

English:

Spanish:
The IFS Waiver is Enrolling Now
The Individual and Family Service Waiver helps support families who have a family member with a development disability who is three years or older by providing a choice of services to help maintain and stabilize the family unit.

Click HERE for more information or request IFS Waiver online at www.dshs.wa.gov/dda/service-and-information-request.
Dads and Kids Photoshoot - Perfect for Father's Day!
Free Professional Studio Session and Photos of Dads and their Child(ren)

What:  Professional Photographers from the Woodinville Media Group will be taking photos of dads and their children who have special health care needs
When:  Sunday, May 21st from 9:00 to 1:00,
Where:  Woodinville Media Group, 19501 144th Ave. NE, Building C, Suite 600 Woodinville, WA 98072
Reservations are required: Contact Louis Mendoza at 425-653-4286 or louis....@kindering.org to reserve your time.

Click HERE for more information.
DSAIA Launches Podcast on Down Syndrome Issues
DS Reading Program Makes Learning to Read Effective and Entertaining

Natalie Hale created Special Reads for Special Needs with a mix of methods and materials, and most importantly motivation - engaging the child with a fun and entertaining program.

Natalie sits down with DSAIA Live!, their new podcast on Down syndrome and leadership, to discuss reading, parenting and a new partner program for Down syndrome associations. Check it out HERE!
National Down Syndrome Congress 2017 Convention
The 45th Annual NDSC Convention will take place July 20-23, 2017 in Sacramento, CA. Click HERE for the 2017 convention brochure.

Registration opens April 10th at 12:00 noon EDT.
Conference Scholarships
The DSC is offers our members scholarships ranging from $100-$500 to attend Down syndrome or related conferences! Interested? Click HERE for more information!

Down Syndrome Community of Puget Sound | 206-257-7191 | www.downsyndromecommunity.org

Down Syndrome Community of Puget Sound, 4616 25th Ave, NE,Box 321, Seattle, WA 98105
Sent by ma...@downsyndromecommunity.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact