Fwd: Down Syndrome Community - May Newsletter

1 view

Rebecca Brandt

May 13, 2016, 8:55:29 PM5/13/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
Notice that the Seattle group has Camp Prime Time in July, you could consider joining them.     Becca

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Down Syndrome Community <maur...@comcast.net>
Date: May 13, 2016 at 4:20:12 PM PDT
To: becca...@msn.com
Subject: Down Syndrome Community - May Newsletter

DSC Friends Meet-Ups, Moms' Night Out, DSC Board, Camp Prime Time
DSC Elections, Friends Groups Meet-Ups, Moms' Night Out, Camp Prime Time
Down Syndrome Community
May Newsletter
for the latest news and last minute updates, please like us on Facebook
Like us on Facebook
Election Results
The 2016 election is over! Well, the election of the DSC Board is over - Unfortunately, we still have a long road ahead until the United States elects a new President in November.

Alison Winfield, President
Becky Ronan, Vice President
Courtney Criss, Secretary
Brenda Bartell, Treasurer
Devon Adelman
Sue Adelman
Jered Cady
Melanie Harrington
Matt Lyman
Erika Mervin
Ashly Williams

Thank you to the outgoing board members for their commitment to the DSC. All have spent countless volunteer hours giving of themselves to our community: Louise Avery, Kara Freel-Sparks, Sean King, Anne Mullis and Jennifer Mullis.

 A special thanks goes to Sean King for serving on the board for nearly 16 years - the last 6 as president. The board will miss his knowledge, willingness to take things on, and his passion for our community. Thank you Sean!
Spring Fling Annual Meeting and Talent Show
On April 30th we held our Spring Fling Annual Meeting and Talent Show where we:
  • reviewed achievements and shared plans for the upcoming year
  • recognized our founders and long-serving board members
  • enjoyed many talented individuals from the DSC
Camp Prime Time

Save the Date for camping fun this summer!

Camp Prime Time is available to the DSC members on July 29-31. There are comfortable cabins for families and all meals are provided.  Space is limited - watch for registration info by the end of May.

DSC Friends Meet-Ups

DSC Friends Meet-Ups are hosted by the DSC at no cost to you!
Please join us and have fun!
Babies/Toddlers Ages 0-3  generally meets the 4th Saturday of the month
Contact: Caitlyn Hanney caitli...@gmail.com

May
Saturday, May 28th, 10am-12pm
Kelsey Creek Farm
410 130th Pl. SE, Bellevue
Come pet the farm animals and explore this beautiful park! We'll meet close to the barns so the kids can pet the animals.

June
Saturday, June 25th, 10am-12pm
Seattle Children's PlayGarden
1745 24th Ave S, Seattle, WA 98144

July
Saturday, July 23rd, 11am-1pm
Greenlake Wading Pool
The wading pool is located on the north end of Green Lake at the intersection of Wallingford Ave N and East Green Lake Drive North. (The wading pool does not open until 11am).

August
Saturday August 27th, 10am-12pm
Alki Beach
2701 Alki Avenue, Seattle
Meet at the Bathhouse located at the south end of the beach.

Ages 4-7
Contact Kara Freel-Sparks: ka...@freelsparkslaw.com  206-850-4129
or Shane Sparks: shane....@icfi.com  206-351-6375

Sunday, May 22nd, 11am-1pm
Newcastle Beach Park
4400 Lake Washington Blvd. SE, Bellevue, WA 98006

Bring your shorts, swimsuit, sand toys, Frisbee, soccerball, etc. and let's have some fun together in the sun!!!

DSC will provide drinks and chips so feel free to pack a picnic lunch and a blanket.

No RSVP needed - we look forward to seeing you there.

Tweens Ages 8-12  generally meets the 2nd Saturday of the month
Contact Maura Dunn: maur...@comcast.net  206-498-9872

This music class will allow the kids to have a hands-on experience of all the basic instruments of a band, hear what each instrument does, and attempt playing music with each other. If the kids have a great time, we can look into scheduling more classes.

Saturday, May 14, 1pm-2pm
School of Rock Issaquah
1640 NW Gilman Blvd, Ste 1
Issaquah, WA 98027

RSVP to Maura (info above) by Friday, May 13 so we know how many kids are coming

Teens Ages 13-19  generally meets the last Sunday of the month
Contact Sue Adelman: sadel...@me.com  734-274-1839  Facebook: RaiseExpectations

We have a great opportunity to join with the Tween group for a music class at the School of Rock in Issaquah.  We are hoping that this could be a recurring class, even with the possibility of a performance of some kind if we have enough interest!

Saturday, May 14, 1pm-2pm

1640 NW Gilman Blvd, Ste 1
Issaquah, WA 98027

RSVP to Sue Adelman (info above) by Friday, May 13 so we know how many will be attending

DSC Moms' Night Out
May
Saturday, May 28
Moms' Night Out (with the Dads)
Please notice date change.  Take a break, get a baby-sitter, and come to dinner at Elliot Bay Brewery in Lake City during Memorial Day weekend.  12537 Lake City Way NE in Seattle.  Appetizers provided by the DSC.

June
Saturday, June 18 in Redmond
Gab with gals and get your Luau on at Jamie Kivela's home in Redmond. Dig out your Hawaiian shirts and leis and bring sides, appetizers, and/or desserts to go with a Hawaiian ham.

RSVP cour...@downsyndromecommunity.org and you'll receive her address.
You're Invited!
Sky's the Limit
Down Syndrome Research Presentation & Awards Gala

Saturday, May 21, 2016

10:30am - 12:30pm:
FREE Down Syndrome Cognition Research Presentation, Courtyard Marriott Seattle Downtown/Lake Union, 925 Westlake Ave N, Seattle, WA
6:00pm:
Awards Gala, Officer's Club, Magnuson Park, 7400 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA

Research Presentation by Drs. Rafii, Reeves, and Harpold Gala Keynote by Karen Gaffney, Down Syndrome Self-Advocate

Calling all Runners and Walkers

LuMind RDS Runners is the premier charity running program dedicated to raising funds and awareness for Down syndrome research. They are asking for your
support in helping to form a team to represent LuMind RDS Runners at the Rock 'n Roll races series in Seattle, WA on Saturday, June 18thYou don't have to be a serious marathoner to participate.  There are THREE different race distances from which you can choose: 8k, Half Marathon, and Marathon.  Click here to learn more about the race events!

Please note that there is no fundraising minimum for this race, but we encourage you to set your sights high when it comes to setting a goal!

Please e-mail kdoc...@lumindrds.org for more information.

Please check the DSC online Events Calendar regularly!

STAY CONNECTED:
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

To receive future DSC news by email Sign Up Here
Down Syndrome Community, 17930 Normandy Terr SW, Normandy Terrace, WA 98166
Sent by maur...@comcast.net in collaboration with
Constant Contact

Charles Minor

May 13, 2016, 9:06:05 PM5/13/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
That might work

Happy Connecting. Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 5