Fwd: Mouth guard

1 view

Rebecca Brandt

Apr 1, 2016, 9:15:53 PM4/1/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dottie Nash <czec...@msn.com>
Date: March 30, 2016 at 11:18:13 AM PDT
To: "becca...@msn.com" <becca...@msn.com>
Subject: Mouth guard

Becca,

Our dentist recommended that Bronwyn use a mouth guard because she grinds her teeth.  We got one but she is having difficulty with it in her mouth.  She says she can't talk and gags when it is in.  So she isn't using it as this time.  When checking on the internet, we saw on NDSS under dental care that mouth guards are not recommended because of the fear that they might break in their mouth.  Can you put this note on the newsletter and ask parents to respond if they have had any mouth guards for their children with DS and how they managed using them?  Or if they used them.  We are concerned about her teeth but we don't want to do something that might cause a bigger problem.

Thanks,

Dottie Nash

home: 360-459-4089

E-mail: czec...@msn.com

lars...@yahoo.com

Apr 1, 2016, 11:48:01 PM4/1/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing! I know nothing about this subject but thanks for bringing awareness!

Sent from my iPhone

marc.grandmaison

Apr 3, 2016, 12:32:13 AM4/3/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dottie,

Madeline had a mouth guard recommended by her physician because of her teeth grinding.  When we went to the dentist he said that there was no good reason to put in a mouth  guard. He said the grinding although noisy didn't affect her teeth. As long as we kept up with proper hygiene she'd be good.  She's 25 now and no dental problems.

Marc

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Tom Mitchell

Apr 3, 2016, 2:59:59 PM4/3/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dottie,

In responding  to your question about mouth guards (night guards?), as a Dental Hygienist for 18 years, we generally do not recommend night guards for persons with Down Syndrome . Only if it's absolutely necessary because of TMJ problems.  Or unless someone has ground their teeth down to the dentin with serious sensitivity problems.   Of course, there are exceptions as individual mouth structures vary making wearing a night guard more or less feasible.  A trusted dentist would be best to make that assessment.  As far as for sports, we do recommended DS kids use mouth guards for the period of time they are involved in contact sports.  Hope that helps.

Liya

ima

Apr 3, 2016, 8:30:46 PM4/3/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com
hi dottie.

alicia grinds too and she wears hers at night only.  it bugs her toward morning.  she was recently told she MUST wear it because she has chipped her tooth.  we go through a retainer a year.  she is very hard on them due to grinding.
donna