Fwd: Please help circulate my graduate research study survey

Rebecca Brandt

Jul 1, 2016, 6:33:23 PM7/1/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Porter, Tavanna (HSC)" <Tavanna...@ouhsc.edu>
Date: July 1, 2016 at 2:22:37 PM PDT
To: Rebecca Brandt <becca...@msn.com>
Subject: RE: Please help circulate my graduate research study survey

Thank you Becca! Please pass on the following message to your members which contains the online survey link:

Hello,

My name is Tavanna Porter and I am a genetic counseling graduate student at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. For my graduate thesis research project, I would like to gather the thoughts and opinions of parents about when they learned their child has Down syndrome and see what actions and resources they have found helpful in meeting the needs of their child. I believe the findings from this survey can help medical professionals to understand the journey parents take in advocating for their child and provide examples of actions and resources that parents have found to work well for themselves, their child, and their family.

The survey includes demographic questions (zip code, race, gender, etc.), questions about feelings and actions taken when the parent learned their child has Down syndrome, what type of supports are utilized, and questions about empowerment. The survey will take 10-20 minutes to finish and your participation in this research project is completely voluntary and anonymous. There are no questions that will identify the parent or child. The project has been reviewed and approved by the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center’s Institutional Review Board (IRB #6632).

Participants must be 18 years of age or older, be a parent of a child (including adult child) with Down syndrome, and have been present at the time it was first suggested that their child may have Down syndrome.

I would very much appreciate your participation in this survey. Again, all information gathered is voluntary and anonymous. I hope that results can assist medical professionals in understanding what amazing parents like you do to meet their child’s needs.

Here is the link to the survey, please copy and paste it in your web browser to begin: https://bbmc.ouhsc.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=WYLNTA34LT

Thank you for your time and attention!

Tavanna Porter

Tavanna Porter, MS
Genetic Counseling Student

Jul 2, 2016, 10:35:19 AM7/2/16
to down-syndrome-support...@googlegroups.com

I'm pleased to help by filling out the survey; it was not difficult or time-consuming to do.

Dottie Nash

home: 360-459-4089

E-mail: czec...@msn.com