startup.sh is not building tables

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 9:18:12 AM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group
I've gone through this install about 5-6 times and this script is
still not installing and/or creating the database tables.

I've followed the steps in creating the database, setting the table
names to lower case, creating the initial database, user and
permissions. However, when I run the startup.sh script I get the
following in terminal, then when I check the database, there is
nothing there.

Using DOTCMS_HOME = /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/dotCMS_2.0
Using DOTSERVER = dotCMS_2.0
Using CATALINA_PID = /tmp/dotCMS_2.0.pid
Using JAVA_OPTS = -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xverify:none -
Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -server -Xmx1G -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:
+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -javaagent:dotCMS/WEB-INF/
lib/jamm-0.2.5.jar -Ddotserver=dotCMS_2.0
Using CATALINA_BASE: /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/dotCMS_2.0/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/dotCMS_2.0/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/dotCMS_2.0/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/CurrentJDK/Home
Using CLASSPATH: /Users/xxxxxxx/Desktop/dotCMS_2.0/tomcat/bin/
bootstrap.jar

I hope someone can help me out, as this is becoming extremely
frustrating and am spending the better part of my work week just
trying to get the platform installed.

Does the location of the directory matter? Where I store the build
folder? I just have it on my desktop? Will it still resolve at
localhost being placed there?

Thanks
-Craig

Jason Tesser

May 24, 2012, 9:21:30 AM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
ok is this a checkout from github or a zip.

Did you run any other commands?

Can you attach your catalina.out file for us.

One not on the lower_case table names in MySQL. Did you restart after
you set it AND THEN create the DB. If not it will not work. Also the
property needs to be in the [mysqld] section of that file. This is all
MySQL Required stuff FWIW

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

Will Ezell

May 24, 2012, 9:24:55 AM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Craig:

All that looks fine - pretty sure you are having issues connecting dotCMS to your db.  Do this.  Shutdown.  Delete the ./tomcat/log/dotcms.log and start up again.  Then share the output of your ./tomcat/log/dotcms.log in a gist or pastebin? That would make it easy to know what is going on.

Will

----
Will Ezell
http://dotcms.com
phone: (305) 900-2001 ext. 7010
direct: (978) 294-9429
skype: wezell1

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM, craig lipski <craig...@gmail.com> wrote:
-Craig

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 12:18:04 PM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group
Thanks for the replies.

I'm only log available in tomcat/logs/

is

'catalina.out'

and contains the following

Error opening zip file or JAR manifest missing : dotCMS/WEB-INF/lib/
jamm-0.2.5.jar
agent library failed to init: instrument

Thanks for the quick response!
-Craig

On May 24, 9:24 am, Will Ezell <w...@dotcms.com> wrote:
> Craig:
>
> All that looks fine - pretty sure you are having issues connecting dotCMS
> to your db.  Do this.  Shutdown.  Delete the ./tomcat/log/dotcms.log and
> start up again.  Then share the output of your ./tomcat/log/dotcms.log in a
> gist or pastebin? That would make it easy to know what is going on.
>
> Will
>
> ----
> Will Ezellhttp://dotcms.com
> direct: (978) 294-9429 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones>

Jason Tesser

May 24, 2012, 12:42:38 PM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
where are u starting dotcms from?

meaning what path? you should be in the dotcms home dir and run
./bin/startup.sh

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

Todd Reed

May 24, 2012, 12:45:29 PM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Same thing I experienced. Either pace $DOTCMS_HOME or the full path to the startup.sh file.

Example:
/opt/dotCMS/dotserver/dotCMS/WEB-INF/lib/jamm-0.2.5.jar

Sent from my iPad

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 12:53:32 PM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group
Thanks Jason.
I have the unzipped directory on my Desktop (named "dotCMS_2.0").
I'm navigating to this directory and trying to run the script from
terminal to no avail.

Does this directory need to be placed in the WebServer folder in OSX?

craig lipski

Jason Tesser

May 24, 2012, 1:00:49 PM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
in that case you should not get the error you are seeing.

Can you run pwd and send me your terminal output. Also keep checking
the catalina.out to see if you get something different.

Thanks,
Jason S. Tesser
Director, Support Services
dotCMS, Inc.
T: 305.858.1422 x7003
http://twitter.com/dotCMS
www.dotcms.com

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 1:30:46 PM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group
No changes to Catalina, same out put.

pwd out put is
/Users/clipski/Desktop/dotCMS_2.0

Thx

Jason Tesser

May 24, 2012, 2:03:27 PM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to see your whole terminal.

So
1.cd to the dir.
2. ls
3. start

send me that just so I can make sure there isn't something we are missing.

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 2:29:15 PM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group
Hi Jason,
Thanks for your help, but this seems to be partially user error, the
default database string in ROOT.xml that was included in the package
had a 2 in the string. I failed to recognize it as I followed the
default build. I was able to establish the databases. Thanks for your
prompt help. But now I can't seem to get the URL to resolve in my
browser, which is my other question, does this install need to resolve
in a particular place on my local machine for localhost:8080 for the
default page to appear in the browser. Currently, I'm getting nothing.

<!-- MYSQL UTF8 -->
<Resource name="jdbc/dotCMSPool" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource"
driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/dotcms2?characterEncoding=UTF-8"
username="dotcms" password="password" maxActive="60" maxIdle="10"
maxWait="60000"
removeAbandoned="true" removeAbandonedTimeout="60"
logAbandoned="true"
validationQuery="SELECT 1" testOnBorrow="true"/>

Jason Tesser

May 24, 2012, 2:37:53 PM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
The port is configured in your tomcat/conf/server.xml

On OSX if you are not sudo then you will not be able to start on 80.

What does your server.xml look like.

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 2:45:48 PM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group
I did not touch the server.xml, its set to default.

I am sudo, but it doesn't resolve to anything.

http://localhost

Jason Tesser

May 24, 2012, 3:06:23 PM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
well by default is set to port 80 so

http://localhost would be the address

Can you send us your catalina.out now.

Thanks,
Jason S. Tesser
Director, Support Services
dotCMS, Inc.
T: 305.858.1422 x7003
http://twitter.com/dotCMS
www.dotcms.com

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 3:09:33 PM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group

Jason Tesser

May 24, 2012, 4:17:44 PM5/24/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com

craig lipski

May 24, 2012, 11:34:54 PM5/24/12
to dotCMS User Group
ok i seem to have gotten that all squared away. Now I'm getting a 500
error message when I try to resolve localhost:8080

catalina.out
http://pastebin.com/0p4ChTZV

dotcms.log
http://pastebin.com/sweR7PDt

Thanks again for your help.

On May 24, 4:17 pm, Jason Tesser <jasontes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > Caused by: java.net.BindException: Permission denied
> >        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
> >        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:383)
> >        at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:328)
> >        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:194)
> >        at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:150)
> >        at
> > org.apache.tomcat.util.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultS erverSocketFactory.java:
> > 50)
> >        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.init(JIoEndpoint.java:538)
> >        ... 12 more
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:17,025 ERROR org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina -
> > Catalina.start
> > LifecycleException:  Protocol handler initialization failed:
> > java.net.BindException: Permission denied <null>:80
> >        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initialize(Connector.java:
> > 1016)
> >        at
> > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:
> > 680)
> >        at
> > org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:
> > 795)
> >        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:524)
> >        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:548)
> >        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> >        at
> > sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:
> > 39)
> >        at
> > sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImp l.java:
> > 25)
> >        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
> >        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:261)
> >        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:17,025 INFO  org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina -
> > Initialization processed in 533 ms
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:17,156 INFO  org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService
> > - Starting service Catalina
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:17,156 INFO  org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine
> > - Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.26
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:17,163 INFO  org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig -
> > Deploying configuration descriptor ROOT.xml
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:21,190 INFO  com.dotmarketing.util.Config -
> > Initializing properties reader.
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:21,206 INFO  com.dotmarketing.util.Config - Loading
> > dotCMS Properties...
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:21,258 INFO  com.dotmarketing.util.Config - Assigned
> > default refresh interval: 5 minutes.
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:21,258 INFO  com.dotmarketing.util.Config - dotCMS
> > Properties Loaded
> > 2012-05-24 13:26:21,261 INFO
> > com.dotmarketing.listeners.OsgiFelixListener - Loading property

Jason Tesser

May 25, 2012, 12:06:02 AM5/25/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
try to stop dotcms. clear logs again. drop the db. create the db and
start again. It appears some tables already existed. maybe a failed
start or something from earlier

Again for mysql make sure the lower case property is in the right
place and that mysql was restarted after you added it to the config.

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

craig lipski

May 25, 2012, 12:05:02 PM5/25/12
to dotCMS User Group
that did the trick. Thank you so much for your help with this. I wish
it hadn't taken this long, but appreciate your patience in getting me
started.
Thanks
Craig

> read more »

Jason Tesser

May 25, 2012, 12:07:54 PM5/25/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
great glad you got it.

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

craig...@gmail.com

May 25, 2012, 2:27:28 PM5/25/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Jason, I spoke too soon. I was able to get dotCMS to resolve at localhost:8080, but would get a Oops error when trying to do anything in the admin

Here are my logs, it looks like some tables are still not being created in the database, it also mentioned something about the

Error: You do not have the SUPER privilege and binary logging is enabled (you *might* want to use the less safe log_bin_trust_function_creators variable)while trying to execute drop trigger if exists check_parent_path_when_update proccessed 379 statements
java.sql.SQLException: You do not have the SUPER privilege and binary logging is enabled (you *might* want to use the less safe log_bin_trust_function_creators variable)

I'm not sure where/how to change this setting.

I stopped dotcms, deleted the logs, deleted the DB, rebuilt the DB, then restarted dotCMS, so the logs are lengthy.

Here they are.
I had to break this up into sections
Catalina.out part 1 - http://pastebin.com/vLWsvD7B
Catalina.out part 2 - http://pastebin.com/8QTHrx2X
Catalina.out part 3 - http://pastebin.com/igu9LdWh
Catalina.out part 4 - http://pastebin.com/HaTewnEp

dotcms.log

Hopefully, this can be worked out. I really need to get this going soon, I'm working with a partner using dotCMS and need to start developing soon. Thanks for your help!
-Craig

On Friday, May 25, 2012 12:07:54 PM UTC-4, LORDs_diakonos wrote:
great glad you got it.

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

Jason Tesser

May 25, 2012, 2:29:03 PM5/25/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
turn off binary logging in your mysql install

Thanks,
Jason Tesser
dotCMS Director, Support Services
1-305-858-1422

>> > dotcms+un...@googlegroups.com.
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/dotcms?hl=en.

craig lipski

May 25, 2012, 3:01:23 PM5/25/12
to dotCMS User Group
I did that, cleared db, restarted and reinstalled, still getting the
same errors.

This install shouldn't be this difficult, should it?

I'm not sure what else to do here.

> read more »

Jason Tesser

May 25, 2012, 3:05:50 PM5/25/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
well it usually isn't and it is typically 10 min. But things do
happen. Before you thought you were ROOT but you were and it couldn't
bind to the port you had etc..

The binary logging must still be on. My guess is for some reason it
is not off and you think it is. What are you using to manage MySQL on
OSX.

The problem here is really just management of MySQL. If you want
maybe consider a Basic Support Package and Standard License so we can
get in and help.