Re: [dotcms] DotCMS 2.1 Upgrade From 1.9.x and MSSQL 2008

Maria Ahues Bouza

Aug 1, 2012, 1:30:19 PM8/1/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
What branch are you using for 2.1? It should definitely build, maybe you're not using the correct one?

Master is our trunk, it's not production ready, its where all new development is merged, it will have bugs and sometimes it won't compile. We recommend running off a stable branch instead.

About the upgrade issues can you please be more specific about the errors you're getting?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 11:02 AM, NickPadilla <nich...@monstersoftwarellc.com> wrote:
Hello All,

I am attempting to upgrade a MSSQL 2008, dotcms 1.9.4 environment to a dotcms 2.1 version.  I am running into transaction isolation errors and primary key constraint violations - ran the duplicates check queries provided in the Upgrading DotCMS page @ dotcms.com and they didn't find any duplicates.  I have done some searching to see if I could find anything already out here regarding MSSQL 2008 and the dotcms 2.1 upgrade and didn't find anything.  Is there any known problems regarding MSSQL and dotcms 2.1 upgrade?

On another note, I have been attempting to build the dotcms 2.1 branch but cannot get it to build.  I fixed some errors with a class that implements an interface but not all the methods, its not abstract either so was giving errors.  I use Eclipse IDE, Juno, and am just trying to run the build.xml ant tasks - Clean, Deploy, Deploy-Plugins tasks in that order.  I don't seem to have anymore java class errors but have a slew of jsp errors - looks like there are some abstractions that will have the parent jsp providing the attributes but the child imports all are in an error state.  I have attempted turning off validation but it still errors out when compiling the jsps.  Is there a process that I don't know about in building dotcms?  I have built out previous versions but never a 2.0 version.  I can't imagine there being anything different in the build process that I need to be aware of - is there problems with the state of the 2.1 branch?  Is it not stable or build worthy at this time?  Should I just use 2.0.1?

Also my environment is:

Windows 7 x64
Eclipse IDE Juno x64
JDK 1.6 x64 - Oracle

One last question, is MASTER always build worthy?  I would assume that the master branch is always production ready - if so then I can just move to that instead of going backwards to 2.0 or 2.0.1. Please advise.

Community Manager

dotCMS
Main: 305.900.2001
Fax: 305.397.2579
www.dotcms.com
http://www.twitter.com/dotCMS
http://www.facebook.com/dotCMS
http://www.twitter.com/mabouza

Please consider the planet before printing this email.

NickPadilla

Aug 1, 2012, 2:25:38 PM8/1/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hello Maria,

I am running dotcms from the 2.1 tag, not the master-2.1. Is that tag not stable, should I be using the master-2.1?

The errors I am getting are with unresolved variables in the JSP's.  From what I see you are using some "template" jsps that are being included in other JSP's, the "templates" don't define the variables that are already defined in the context by the JSP's that utilize the "templates".  The build stops at 100 of those errors, not sure if there are more or that is it; but that is what I am seeing.

As for the upgrade, I was getting an error when trying to add a constraint on a table. Here is the exact error:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Transaction failed because this DDL statement is not allowed inside a snapshot isolation transaction. Since metadata is not versioned, a metadata change can lead to inconsistency if mixed within snapshot isolation.
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:213)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(SQLServerStatement.java:1493)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.doExecuteStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:775)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement$StmtExecCmd.doExecute(SQLServerStatement.java:676)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:5569)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1629)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeCommand(SQLServerStatement.java:179)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:154)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.execute(SQLServerStatement.java:649)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:264)
at com.dotmarketing.common.db.DotConnect.executeStatement(DotConnect.java:212)
at com.dotmarketing.startup.runonce.Task00800CreateTemplateContainers.executeUpgrade(Task00800CreateTemplateContainers.java:48)
at com.dotmarketing.startup.StartupTasksExecutor.executeUpgrades(StartupTasksExecutor.java:260)
at com.liferay.portal.servlet.MainServlet.init(MainServlet.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1173)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:993)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4187)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4496)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:771)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:546)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:637)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:563)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:498)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1277)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:321)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:785)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:519)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:581)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)

The next call that tries to insert a row into the template_container fails because of a constraint error.  Here is that error:

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'pk_inode'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.inode'. The duplicate key value is (b02889db-2e74-4fb0-b12b-2159c7497e99).
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:213)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(SQLServerStatement.java:1493)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.doExecutePreparedStatement(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:388)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement$PrepStmtExecCmd.doExecute(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:338)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:5569)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1629)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeCommand(SQLServerStatement.java:179)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:154)
at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:306)
at org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:102)
at net.sf.hibernate.persister.NormalizedEntityPersister.insert(NormalizedEntityPersister.java:454)
at net.sf.hibernate.persister.NormalizedEntityPersister.insert(NormalizedEntityPersister.java:426)
at net.sf.hibernate.impl.ScheduledInsertion.execute(ScheduledInsertion.java:37)
at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.execute(SessionImpl.java:2449)
at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.executeAll(SessionImpl.java:2435)
at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.execute(SessionImpl.java:2392)
at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:2261)
at com.dotmarketing.db.HibernateUtil.closeSession(HibernateUtil.java:661)
at com.dotmarketing.db.HibernateUtil.commitTransaction(HibernateUtil.java:702)
at com.dotmarketing.startup.StartupTasksExecutor.executeUpgrades(StartupTasksExecutor.java:282)
[...]

These errors were generated with the zip file downloaded from your website, which didn't contain any source code.  So I checked out the 2.1 tag to view the code and try and get it working but then couldn't build it.  I am guessing it has to do with MSSQL 2008 - I am also using the sqljdbc4.jar driver.  I am assuming there shouldn't be any errors like this on upgrading.  Please advise.

Nick.