195 -> 211 upgrade error

Jon Moores

Sep 5, 2012, 4:18:18 PM9/5/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Test running our upgrade from 195 to 211 on MySql. Right at the end of the upgrade I get the exception:

[05/09/12 21:10:29:415 BST]  WARN business.WorkflowFactoryImpl: Unknown column 'escalation_enable' in 'field list'
com.dotmarketing.exception.DotDataException: Unknown column 'escalation_enable' in 'field list'
    at com.dotmarketing.common.db.DotConnect.loadResult(DotConnect.java:232)
    at com.dotmarketing.portlets.workflows.business.WorkflowFactoryImpl.saveStep(WorkflowFactoryImpl.java:1010)
    at com.dotmarketing.portlets.workflows.business.WorkflowFactoryImpl.createDefaultScheme(WorkflowFactoryImpl.java:242)
    at com.dotmarketing.portlets.workflows.business.WorkflowAPIImpl.createDefaultScheme(WorkflowAPIImpl.java:890)
    at com.dotmarketing.startup.runonce.Task00820CreateNewWorkFlowTables.executeUpgrade(Task00820CreateNewWorkFlowTables.java:400)

Is this a known issue?

Thanks
Jon

Maria Ahues Bouza

Sep 5, 2012, 4:21:00 PM9/5/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Jon,

This seems to be an issue related to the upgrade.

Would you check the definition of your workflow_step table?

This is how mine looks like

CREATE TABLE workflow_step
(
  id character varying(36) NOT NULL,
  name character varying(255) NOT NULL,
  scheme_id character varying(36),
  my_order integer DEFAULT 0,
  resolved boolean DEFAULT false,
  escalation_enable boolean DEFAULT false,
  escalation_action character varying(36),
  escalation_time integer DEFAULT 0,
  CONSTRAINT workflow_step_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id ),
  CONSTRAINT fk_escalation_action FOREIGN KEY (escalation_action)
      REFERENCES workflow_action (id) MATCH SIMPLE
      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION,
  CONSTRAINT workflow_step_scheme_id_fkey FOREIGN KEY (scheme_id)
      REFERENCES workflow_scheme (id) MATCH SIMPLE
      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
)

Thanks
Maria

Jon

Community Manager

dotCMS
Main: 305.900.2001
Fax: 305.397.2579
www.dotcms.com
http://www.twitter.com/dotCMS
http://www.facebook.com/dotCMS
http://www.twitter.com/mabouza

Please consider the planet before printing this email.

Jorge Urdaneta

Sep 5, 2012, 4:31:28 PM9/5/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
That's noise. It will disappear after the complete upgrade run. You can
ignore it
> --

Jorge Urdaneta
dotCMS developer

Jon Moores

Sep 5, 2012, 4:58:10 PM9/5/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It does indeed seem to be noise. I checked the table and the column is present. I have re-indexed, stopped, restarted and flushed caches but I seem to have a problem in the Site Browser will folders that contain .dot pages. The . . . . icons just keep on rotating in the middle of the screen.

Folders that do not contain .dot pages seem to be fine.

I know there is a change about page extensions but the info seems a bit misleading. Currently the VELOCITY_HTMLPAGE_EXTENSION = dotpage so o I just need to change the setting to dot?  Can I still have .dot files? I would really like to keep the .dot extension mainly due to google indexed pages.

Thanks
Jon

On 09/05/2012 03:48 PM, Jon Moores wrote:
[...]

Jorge Urdaneta

Sep 5, 2012, 5:05:37 PM9/5/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Yes set

VELOCITY_PAGE_EXTENSION = dot
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to dotcms+un...@googlegroups.com.

Jorge Urdaneta
dotCMS developer

Jon Moores

Sep 6, 2012, 3:11:50 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have set the property below and restarted. It does not make a difference. I still get the Loading .... on folders that contained html pages (.dot) pages. I am not getting any server side errors and as far as Firebug sees it there are not Javascript exceptions thrown.

If I click on HTML Pages then I do get the below in the server log.

Trying to access the pages normally gives 404 errors. Where to look?

[06/09/12 19:57:52:494 BST] ERROR htmlpages.view_005fhtmlpages_jsp]: Servlet.service() for servlet org.apache.jsp.html.portlet.ext.htmlpages.view_005fhtmlpages_jsp threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.dotmarketing.business.VersionableAPIImpl.isLive(VersionableAPIImpl.java:178)
    at com.dotmarketing.beans.WebAsset.isLive(WebAsset.java:73)
    at org.apache.jsp.html.portlet.ext.htmlpages.view_005fhtmlpages_jsp._jspService(view_005fhtmlpages_jsp.java:756)
    at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)

Thanks
Jon

Jon Moores

Sep 6, 2012, 3:27:51 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Is it correct that the .dot pages in the identifier table are asset_type = file_asset?

Thanks
Jon

Jorge Urdaneta

Sep 6, 2012, 3:38:42 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
translation:

this query should only return 'htmlpage'

select distinct asset_type from identifier where id in (select identifier from htmlpage)

Jon Moores

Sep 6, 2012, 3:35:33 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
It only returns : file_asset

Jorge Urdaneta

Sep 6, 2012, 3:44:04 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
fix it with

update identifier set asset_type='htmlpage' where id in (select identifier from htmlpage)

flush dotchs cache and try again to see your pages

Jon Moores

Sep 6, 2012, 3:41:50 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
ummmm... I get an error:
Error Code: 1146. Table 'dotcms211.Cannot_update_for_this_path_does_not_exist_for_the_given_host' doesn't exist

Jorge Urdaneta

Sep 6, 2012, 3:56:28 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
That's because you have some of them with a bad parent_path.

list them with

select * from identifier where parent_path not in
(select parent_path||asset_name from identifier where asset_type='folder')

parent_path||asset_name might not work in your db. in MSSQL is + and others might be concat(x,y)

Jon Moores

Sep 6, 2012, 3:57:03 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
mysql didnt complain but it returns 0 rows

Jon Moores

Sep 6, 2012, 4:27:08 PM9/6/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Should I expect this to return any rows?

select * from contentlet
where inode in (select host_inode from identifier where asset_type='file_asset')

Thanks
Jon

Jon Moores

Sep 7, 2012, 5:21:27 AM9/7/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

After removing those entries (from fileasset_version_info, file_asset and identifier) I had more issues with SYSTEM_HOST entries. I have removed those using the SQL:

*********
delete from htmlpage_version_info where identifier in (
select id from identifier where host_inode = 'SYSTEM_HOST'
and asset_type = 'file_asset');

delete from htmlpage where identifier in (
select id from identifier where host_inode = 'SYSTEM_HOST'
and asset_type = 'file_asset');

delete from fileasset_version_info where identifier in (
select id from identifier where host_inode = 'SYSTEM_HOST'
and asset_type = 'file_asset');

delete from file_asset where identifier in (
select id from identifier where host_inode = 'SYSTEM_HOST'
and asset_type = 'file_asset');

delete from identifier where host_inode = 'SYSTEM_HOST'
and asset_type = 'file_asset';
*******************

After this I can see my .dot pages in the site browser! Step forward :) I now have the issue that if I try to edit it I get a 404 error. I can fix this by 'Save and Publish' on the page. Only now my page is listed as <pagename>.dot.html

How to keep the .dot?

Thanks
Jon

Jon Moores

Sep 7, 2012, 4:23:02 AM9/7/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Using the following query I was able to identify a couple of problematic rows in the identifier table:

select * from identifier
where asset_type='file_asset' and parent_path not in (
  select concat(parent_path, asset_name, '/') from identifier
where asset_type = 'folder');

id    host_inode    parent_path    asset_name    asset_type
11419ae4-41ca-4ab1-a890-052dd6bd85c1    SYSTEM_HOST    /invester-relation/    index.dot    file_asset
4a2ea915-86e9-4a14-bbfc-efdb4b2fe75f    SYSTEM_HOST    /about-us/news/    index.dot    file_asset
69c1f1b4-bc75-401b-b0d0-e045cd88d2ec    SYSTEM_HOST    /images/thumbnails/    thumbnail-homepage.png    file_asset
95403f7c-084a-4743-b6ab-c145041eb076    SYSTEM_HOST    /images/thumbnails/    thumbnail-body2column.png    file_asset
d9da4cc3-cdc8-4995-ad29-021dd455abe8    SYSTEM_HOST    /about-us/    index.dot    file_asset
f4548dfc-d0da-4cb0-a50b-30c1e2f97ec2    SYSTEM_HOST    /about-us/news/    news-detail.dot    file_asset
ff190b56-0af8-4dc8-befb-598f79817c83    SYSTEM_HOST    /images/thumbnails/    thumbnail-body1.png    file_asset

Can I just delete these?

I am still curious to know why the upgrade would change html pages to file assets?

Thanks
Jon

Jorge Urdaneta

Sep 7, 2012, 8:14:38 AM9/7/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
I think those deletes are bad.
I though the next step was to see if some identifiers were pointing to
non-existent host inodes.

Hope you have a backup.

Jon Moores

Sep 7, 2012, 8:21:36 AM9/7/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jorge,

I thought so too :) This is only a dry run of our production upgrade on my local machine so yes I have a backup.

I looked into the tables for system host and there are no folders except /System Folder so all file_asset and htmlpage entries where pointing at invalid parents. Anyway they are gone and I can see my pages. I noticed there are two entries in the dotcms properties:
VELOCITY_PAGE_EXTENSION = html
VELOCITY_HTMLPAGE_EXTENSION = dotpage

I had only changed the HTMLPAGE to dot but I now changed the PAGE to dot and the HTMLPAGE back to dotpage and the pages are working ok - what is the distinction between these two?

My next error was that everytime I tried to access a .dot page I was getting 404 still. Looking through the web.xml there is a velocityServlet mapping for *.html. I now changed that to *.dot and all appears to be working as expected.

My only error that I get now is on opening certain file assets (seems to be anything thats not vtl or img related) I get the following message in the admin portal:
An unexpected system error occurred.

Versionable is null

With the stack trace:

[07/09/12 13:19:14:419 BST]  WARN action.EditFileAction: com.dotmarketing.business.DotStateException: Versionable is null
com.dotmarketing.business.DotStateException: Versionable is null
    at com.dotmarketing.exception.DotRuntimeException.fillInStackTrace(DotRuntimeException.java:33)
    at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:181)
    at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:29)
    at java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(RuntimeException.java:32)
    at com.dotmarketing.exception.DotRuntimeException.<init>(DotRuntimeException.java:15)
    at com.dotmarketing.business.DotStateException.<init>(DotStateException.java:19)
    at com.dotmarketing.business.IdentifierAPIImpl.find(IdentifierAPIImpl.java:76)
    at com.dotmarketing.portlets.files.action.EditFileAction._editWebAsset(EditFileAction.java:398)
    at com.dotmarketing.portlets.files.action.EditFileAction.processAction(EditFileAction.java:99)
    at com.liferay.portal.struts.PortletRequestProcessor.process(PortletRequestProcessor.java:127)

I seem to be able to get around this by publishing the folders they are contained in.

Thanks for your help so far.

Jon
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to dotcms+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Jorge Urdaneta
dotCMS developer

Will Ezell

Sep 7, 2012, 8:42:10 AM9/7/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Jon:

VELOCITY_HTMLPAGE_EXTENSION is a legacy property that really should have been a constant.  It actually should never have been included in the dotmarketing-config.properties.  It obviously just adds confusion.

Will

----
Will Ezell
http://dotcms.com
phone: (305) 900-2001 ext. 7010
direct: (978) 294-9429
skype: wezell1

Jorge Urdaneta

Sep 7, 2012, 9:41:14 AM9/7/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Yeah the only config you need is VELOCITY_PAGE_EXTENSION. Ignore the other one.
The web.xml thing can be a problem because we often forget about changing it.

I see you still have some data problems and at least you have a workarround.

enjoy the new features in 2.x
Take a look at elasticsearch it one of the most importants.

Jorge Urdaneta
dotCMS developer

Jon Moores

Sep 8, 2012, 3:33:59 AM9/8/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointers.

Is there a sensible way to change the web.xml mapping via a plugin?

Thanks
Jon

Jon Moores

Sep 11, 2012, 4:24:28 PM9/11/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am getting a little frustrated with the .dot -> .html page changes in 2.x. I am finding more places that relies on having the .html (now struts-cms.xml for stuff like login action).

Is there a simple, straight forward way to migrate all pages from .dot to .html or modify all config settings via a plugin to keep the .dot extension?
 Thanks
Jon

Jon Moores

Sep 13, 2012, 3:47:22 AM9/13/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex. Is the move to HTML something to be performed before or after upgrading to 2.1?
Thanks
Jon

On Tuesday, 11 September 2012, Alex wrote:

Hi, Jon:

http://dotcms.com/dotCMSVersions/

See version 2.1 has a plugin if you want to keep pages with .dot.  http://dotcms.com/physical_downloads/com.dotcms.page.extension.config.zip

If I were you I would upgrade right now to .html extension.  There is

a plugin in this thread to upgrade.  It did not work on my instance

and I had to do it manually.

Alex

Jason Tesser

Sep 13, 2012, 7:23:37 AM9/13/12
to dot...@googlegroups.com
you can do either. But I would deploy the plugin before I ran the
upgrade so the pages will pull right away

Thanks,
Jason S. Tesser
Director, Support Services
dotCMS, Inc.