Ticket sales systems

Daniele Procida

Jan 1, 2015, 11:24:25 PM1/1/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Happy New Year, DjangoCon US organizers.

As you may have seen, we've started selling tickets for DjangoCon Europe: <http://2015.djangocon.eu/news/registration-opens/>.

We're using Tito <https://ti.to/home> for the tickets, and Stripe <http://stripe.com> for payment processing.

We deliberated over whether go for the ?1000 Tito plan, which would cap the fee for each ticket at ?2.50, but in the end decided it wasn't worth it.

However, if DjangoCon US *also* uses Tito, then it would make sense for us to share the cost of the plan and benefit from the reduced fees.

If you'd like to do that, and it if seems feasible to use a single account in that way, I think we should do that. It could even be a single account owned and managed by the DSF and used for all DjangoCons.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Daniele

Stacey Haysler

Jan 2, 2015, 12:27:39 AM1/2/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Daniele - Happy new year!

As the website is under construction, I don't know that the actual sales management mechanism has been decided on yet.

If someone on the website dev team can let me know what options are under consideration, I can run numbers and see how Tito compares to the other options.

Once we figure out whether it makes financial and operational sense, we'd need the DSF board approve it, since DSF would be managing the account. Thanks!

Regards,
Stacey
DSF Treasurer

Russell Keith-Magee

Jan 2, 2015, 12:45:29 AM1/2/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniele,

US DjangoCons have historically used EventBrite. I have no idea if they're planning to continue to do so for this year, or if they've even looked into the options.

It's worth noting that EventBrite are Django users, and they are the employers of a couple of Django core team members and prominent community members. They have also been sponsors of DjangoCon in the past. If DjangoCon doesn't use EventBrite for ticketing, that might jeopardise at least one potential sponsor. These aren't necessarily a reason to choose EventBrite over something else, but they're data points worth considering.

If the DSF is going to be getting a Pro account with any provider and have some up-front costs, then we'll need to see a cost/benefit analysis of all the available options, and get an idea of where the breakpoints are with respect to pricing (i.e., how many tickets do you need to sell to make a €1,000 annual fee worthwhile).

Russ %-)

--

---

Ola Sitarska

Jan 2, 2015, 5:35:26 AM1/2/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
From European point of view, Eventbrite won't allow withdrawing money before the event in any other way than Paypal, which also isn't an option for most of us, because Paypal is blocking money. Even when they sponsor the event. Tito just sends you a bank transfer whenever you need it.

I haven't discussed it with Baptiste, Marc or Erik yet, but we've been happily using Tito for Django: Under The Hood and I think we would be happy to use it for next DUtH too.

Cheers,
Ola

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Daniele Procida <dan...@vurt.org> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Triplett

Jan 2, 2015, 11:46:28 AM1/2/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
One of our most promising contracts specifies that we use Eventbrite for DjangoCon US and I suspect we will go with Eventbrite regardless this year. We are meeting on the 6th next week to wrap up the venue so I can verify that next week.

For 2016, I think we should definitely look at conferences at a whole and see if we can save money or help the smaller conferences out buying using our combined buying power. If the fees are close, I'm all for supporting the Django ecosystem.

Regards,
Jeff

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/djangocon-organizers.

Daniele Procida

Jan 2, 2015, 12:06:25 PM1/2/15
On Fri, Jan 2, 2015, Russell Keith-Magee <rus...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

>If the DSF is going to be getting a Pro account with any provider and have
>some up-front costs, then we'll need to see a cost/benefit analysis of all
>the available options, and get an idea of where the breakpoints are with
>respect to pricing (i.e., how many tickets do you need to sell to make a
>?1,000 annual fee worthwhile).

With Ti.to, fees for DjangoCon-price events are capped at ?5 for the ?99/year plan, ?2.50 for the ?1000/year plan.

We plan on selling around 350 tickets, so that works out at:

?99 + (350 * ?5) = ?1849

or:

?1000 + (350 *?2.50) = ?1875

So for a single event, it's extremely close.

But if we're talking about a couple of events of that size:

?99 + (700 * ?5) = ?3549

or:

?1000 + (750 *?2.50) = ?2875

If it were clearly worthwhile to go to the ?1000 plan right away we'd do that and then simply pass on the account to any other Django conferences that wanted to use it in the next 12 months.

Daniele

Eric Holscher

Jan 2, 2015, 12:13:43 PM1/2/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, we use Tito for Write the Docs EU/US as well. I don't know if it is "okay" for us to share an account, but we already have a Tito account, and would be happy to combine forces.

Cheers,
Eric

Daniele

--

---

Eric Holscher
Maker of the internet residing in Portland, Or
http://ericholscher.com

Jeff Triplett

Jan 6, 2015, 4:29:09 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric,

Is Tito's US fee structure similar to the european pricing? If so, it might be worth a second look.

Thanks,
Jeff

Andrew Godwin

Jan 6, 2015, 4:32:55 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, I believe Eventbrite can waive fees if we're sponsoring! We do it regularly for events.

Andrew

Eric Holscher

Jan 6, 2015, 4:36:49 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
I believe Tito only has one pricing model, it is just priced in Euros.

Cheers,
Eric