Austin Meetup

Andrew Pinkham

Nov 5, 2014, 10:46:51 AM11/5/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Can you make it to the next meetup?

http://doodle.com/vhidbhi3zhvcpb5x

In light of Thanksgiving, I've opted to push our meetup to the first week of December.

Please share this with other locals, friends, and enemies.

Andrew

Andrew Pinkham

Nov 25, 2014, 3:42:00 PM11/25/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Given the feedback, I am scheduling our next local organizer meetup for Monday December 1 at 8PM at Easy Tiger.

Austin DjangoCon Organizers Meetup
Scheduled: Dec 1, 2014, 8:00:00 PM to 9:00:00 PM
Location: Easy Tiger
709 E 6th St
Austin TX 78701

Andrew
iCal-20141125-143934.ics

Andrew Farrell

Nov 30, 2014, 4:34:51 PM11/30/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com, m...@andrewsforge.com
Stephanie and I will be there.

Katie Cunningham

Nov 30, 2014, 5:27:18 PM11/30/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com, m...@andrewsforge.com
Is this at an actual location, or virtual?
> --
>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/djangocon-organizers/7b4ab9ce-4cbe-4fac-87fb-cd1e6ff2c7d6%40googlegroups.com.

Landon Jurgens

Nov 30, 2014, 9:52:04 PM11/30/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com, m...@andrewsforge.com
I'm out of town visiting family. Will we be posting the notes from this meeting somewhere?

Landon

Andrew Pinkham

Dec 1, 2014, 9:52:44 AM12/1/14
On Nov 30, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Katie Cunningham <katie....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this at an actual location, or virtual?

This is a local meetup - we will be meeting at the Easy Tiger bakery and biergarten.

Andrew Pinkham

Dec 1, 2014, 9:53:49 AM12/1/14
On Nov 30, 2014, at 8:52 PM, Landon Jurgens <slic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will we be posting the notes from this meeting somewhere?

That's a good idea. I will take notes at the meeting tonight, and post them on here.

Andrew

Barbara Shaurette

Dec 1, 2014, 1:32:46 PM12/1/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Guys, I'm not going to be able to make it tonight - my calendar has exploded and I've got some critical things that need to be taken care of at home.

--

---

http://www.mechanicalgirl.com
@bshaurette, @PyLadiesATX

Andrew Pinkham

Dec 1, 2014, 9:12:11 PM12/1/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
We are downstairs at Easy Tiger waiting for a table.

Andrew
(Via Phone)

Landon Jurgens

Dec 7, 2014, 2:07:59 PM12/7/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com, m...@andrewsforge.com
Did we post notes from this meeting anywhere?

Landon

Andrew Pinkham

Dec 8, 2014, 3:31:20 PM12/8/14
On Dec 7, 2014, at 1:07 PM, Landon Jurgens <slic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did we post notes from this meeting anywhere?

No! I had a week of "when it rains it pours." All of the smaller items conspired to inundate me.

The central take-away from the meeting for me was that we were not being transparent enough. We have not centralized the information of what each person is working on, making it difficult to coordinate and for new people to join and help.

In light of this, Jeff has created a git repository to hold all of the information we're working with at the moment.

https://github.com/djangocon/djangocon-us-docs

I encourage pull-requests, comments, or even e-mailing me info for me to add to the repo directly.

I've just added all the information I have about hotels, and will be adding event and restaurant information shortly. This will make available the majority of the discussion from the last two local meet-ups.

On top of restaurants and events, we spoke of key ways to try and learn more about running a conference in Austin. A great idea (courtesy of Stephanie, I believe) was to speak to other conferences about their experience in Austin. I unfortunately don't know anyone who has run tech conferences in Austin, but Andrew Farrell volunteered to look into the matter.

Another idea was to look into schools for venues for the convention. Given the September date of the conference, we agreed the chances of this working were slim. Even so, no one has volunteered to handle this. (hint hint nudge nudge anyone in Austin.)

The rest of the discussion was centered around the question: must we be downtown? Austin is only really walkable downtown and on the UT campus. Beyond this, it becomes a bit of a pain (or impossible) to go anywhere on foot. The difficulty has been that hotels in the downtown area are above our desired price point. What is more important: location, or price? I am still waiting to hear back from all of the downtown venues before answering this.

We also talked about how good the food was at Easy Tiger (*ahem*).

Andrew

Landon Jurgens

Dec 8, 2014, 10:03:20 PM12/8/14
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com, m...@andrewsforge.com
I love the use of a git repo. I'm going to catch myself up tonight and PR as needed

Following along the topic of "learn more about running a conference in Austin" has anyone reached out to the folks that ran Texas Linux Fest last year? I'm pretty sure the guys who run SCaLE had a hand in it and I'm thinking they would have some good cliff notes on this subject as well as contact for the venue they used (The Austin Convention Center). I don't have much first hand expierence but I'm sure I could find someone who does.

Landon
Austin Convention Center
Austin Convention Center
Austin Convention Center