Public Django administrative database

Daniel Chimeno

May 18, 2018, 4:18:27 AM5/18/18
to Django users
Hi community!

I'm involved in a project heavily related to administrative geographic entities in UK.
(postal_sectors, postal areas, etc..)
Although at the moment is only for UK, could be expanded to other countries.
but there aren't so many entities there.

Then, searched in Google for some hours and couldn't find any reliable database or csv.

How you folks get this kind of information? Any resource?
If it's Django related would be awesome, if not, I could process it.

Thanks!

Christian Ledermann

May 18, 2018, 6:25:18 AM5/18/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Newark-on-Trent - UK
Mobile : +44 7474997517

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/christianledermann
https://github.com/cleder/

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>

Christian Ledermann

May 18, 2018, 6:27:32 AM5/18/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Christian Ledermann

May 18, 2018, 6:37:12 AM5/18/18
to django...@googlegroups.com

Melvyn Sopacua

May 19, 2018, 1:35:39 PM5/19/18
to django...@googlegroups.com
On vrijdag 18 mei 2018 10:18:27 CEST Daniel Chimeno wrote:
> Hi community!
>
> I'm involved in a project heavily related to administrative geographic
> entities in UK.
> (postal_sectors, postal areas, etc..)
> Although at the moment is only for UK, could be expanded to other countries.
> At first, I look
> into https://github.com/django/django-localflavor/tree/master/localflavor/gb
> but there aren't so many entities there.
>
> Then, searched in Google for some hours and couldn't find any reliable
> database or csv.

This really wasn't that hard to find (include "gis" in your searches):
http://geoportal.statistics.gov.uk/

And governments in Europe are stimulated to provide that data to their
citizens free of charge and in open formats (since we pay taxes for the
government to gather that data, so why should we pay twice).

Here's the equivalent for The Netherlands:
http://www.nationaalgeoregister.nl/geonetwork/srv/dut/catalog.search#/home
https://www.kadaster.nl/bag

And Switzerland:
https://opendata.swiss/en/group/geography

Note that these are all to be considered authoritative, but not all are
provided in a useful format. Therefore it sometimes pays off to go with
alternative proprietary services, purchase databases that have information
linked properly or go with Open Street Map.
--
Melvyn Sopacua

Daniel Chimeno

May 24, 2018, 4:33:06 PM5/24/18
to Django users
Thanks all for your answer, the OS-Open seems to work well.