Absolute beginner step by step

Mc. Holid

Jun 11, 2016, 8:36:31 AM6/11/16
to Django users
Dear All,

Could anyone help  to share the point for absolute beginner guide.

I have already know a little bit about html, and having strong background in vb6.

Thanks for any kind help.

Best Regards
Mchoud

Derek

Jun 11, 2016, 2:27:33 PM6/11/16
to Django users
The Django tutorial - https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/intro/tutorial01/

But if you have no Python experience at all, then http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ (otherwise you'l get lost quickly)

And for both sets of learning, bear in mind the key advice from Zed Shaw:

"You must type each of these exercises in, manually. If you copy and paste, you might as well not even do them."

Gary Roach

Jun 11, 2016, 5:07:51 PM6/11/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
If you don't mind working with Python2.7 and Django 1.7 you might try "Tango With Django" . It is out of date but still is a good place to start. Too bad that the author hasn't updated it. I have had some success with running three projects in parallel. Tango along with the official Django howto and another with your own project if you have one. I saw a reference to "Learning Python The  Hard Way". It's a good choice.

One nasty thing you may run into if you run parallel programs is the use of multiple version of Python and Django. If you use virtualenv and pyvenv to set up multiple virtual environments and then point your IDE at the one needed for a particular project, you should be ok. You don't even have to activate the environments because you are using them for storage of python and django versions only.

Good luck

Gary R.

Lee Hinde

Jun 11, 2016, 5:46:08 PM6/11/16
to django...@googlegroups.com

ludovic coues

Jun 13, 2016, 3:10:32 AM6/13/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
The django girls tutorial is also a very good ressource for beginner.
http://tutorial.djangogirls.org/
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/0FDE615E-8BF0-459C-9D3D-A45E3CD28CBF%40gmail.com.

Cordialement, Coues Ludovic
+336 148 743 42

Gary Roach

Jun 13, 2016, 2:51:07 PM6/13/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
I stand corrected. There is a new Tango With Django tutorial out. It uses Python 3.5 and Django 1.9. Try /media.readthedocs.org/pdf/tango-with-django/latest/tango-with-django.pdf

Gary R

Mc. Holid

Jun 14, 2016, 5:56:02 PM6/14/16
to Django users
Dear All

It seem this is the best starting guide for me,

Just one to ask about the tips and trick how do you deal with the so many "unknown syntax", some time we have to use this ' character some time use ", then mention the name of a database field followed with array. Could anyone suggest for me the suitable and comprehensive exercise for fluent in Django syntax, May be i have to try and try again with learningpyhtonthehardway ?

As my background try to deciding django is  seeing the motto "The web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.
I got a little social project, is there a forum for mentoring or exchange any experience and knowledge for project based discussion.

Thanks for any kind help.
Best Regards
Kholid

Derek

Jun 15, 2016, 10:26:37 AM6/15/16
to Django users
If you are getting syntax errors, it is best to post the relevant code here, along with the Python stack trace. English is usually not good at describing programming errors.

Shaylee Hansen

Jun 15, 2016, 3:22:46 PM6/15/16
to Django users
Thanks for the update on the new Tango With Django.   Everyone highly recommends this tutorial so I'm excited to see its recently been updated :)

NOTICE: This email and attached file(s) contain Gcommerce Solutions, LLC confidential information intended for the exclusive use of the individual(s) to whom addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately delete this Email (and attached files) and treat the information as confidential.

M. Kholid

Jun 15, 2016, 8:25:34 PM6/15/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
I tried to downloan the tutorial from the given link /media.readthedocs.org/pdf/tango-with-django/latest/tango-with-django.pdf

It stil using django version 1.5.4

Tushar Shukla

Jun 16, 2016, 7:06:25 AM6/16/16
to Django users
iam doing this tutorial and i cant get the final result no matter what i do

iam using pycharm. please help i have attached the error page
error.JPG

ludovic coues

Jun 16, 2016, 8:37:10 AM6/16/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
that's the expected result at this point.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/7b0edf8e-1fc9-4394-b3b8-70b674f47ee9%40googlegroups.com.

Marlysson Silva

Jun 16, 2016, 9:08:54 AM6/16/16
to Django users
It's missing to map the url to "/" in file "untitled.urls" . I think , too I am beginner

Gary Roach

Jun 16, 2016, 2:30:57 PM6/16/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
I missed the use of Django 1.5.4,  but Django is supposed to be completely backward compatible. So using 1.9 shouldn't cause any problems. The switch from python 2.7 to 3.5, on the other hand, can be a mess.

Gary R.

M. Kholid

Jun 16, 2016, 8:32:25 PM6/16/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
How about the quick way to make a dashboard and example of populating and showing  a  select query result from a table to a form, may ne it will make me more understand and quickly keep the basic prinsip off database application with django.

Thanks
Kholid
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Django users" group.

Derek

Jun 20, 2016, 3:42:01 AM6/20/16
to Django users
"Django is supposed to be completely backward compatible"

Er, no, its not and they never promised it would be.  You need to check the changes made for each release - as they say here:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/releases/

"you will need to check all the backwards-incompatible changes..."

Gary Roach

Jun 20, 2016, 5:27:05 PM6/20/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
I stand corrected ........ again. I think I would try 1.9 anyway. May get a little practice in debugging.

Gary R,

M. Kholid

Jun 26, 2016, 1:41:35 AM6/26/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
I have already study and tried the code from any guide ( django documentation, djangogirl ) and some other tutorial, now i want to add some feature/package from git hub, can any one help how do i doing that.

Thanks
Best Regards
Kholid