Django dev server issue

daniels

Jan 2, 2011, 4:25:16 PM1/2/11
to Django users
Hi,
I'm having a issue with Django's dev server. I did a "django-admin.py
startproject" then "manage.py startapp home", then added the app in
settings.py and in urls.py. The app only has a index function in
views.py which is mapped to / and just renders a simple html template.
What happens is that sometimes(and this is often) when i load the page
in a broswer (tryed Chrome and Firefox) or refresh it, the page starts
i get this in the console

Exception happened during processing of request from ('127.0.0.1',
52495)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python26\lib\SocketServer.py", line 283, in
_handle_request_noblock
self.process_request(request, client_address)
File "C:\Python26\lib\SocketServer.py", line 309, in process_request
self.finish_request(request, client_address)
File "C:\Python26\lib\SocketServer.py", line 322, in finish_request
self.RequestHandlerClass(request, client_address, self)
File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\django\core\servers
\basehttp.py", line 562, in __init__
BaseHTTPRequestHandler.__init__(self, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Python26\lib\SocketServer.py", line 618, in __init__
self.finish()
File "C:\Python26\lib\SocketServer.py", line 661, in finish
self.wfile.flush()
File "C:\Python26\lib\socket.py", line 297, in flush
self._sock.sendall(buffer(data, write_offset, buffer_size))
error: [Errno 10053] An established connection was aborted by the
software in your host machine

Any idea what's causing this? As it really cripples my dev time.
I'm on a Windows 7 32bit machine

W. Craig Trader

Jan 2, 2011, 7:03:40 PM1/2/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
The exception you're seeing is just a response to stopping the request in the browser.  The real problem is that your view function is hanging.  Could you post the source to the view (and the substantial parts of your template)?  Very hard to offer suggestions without the right data.

- Craig -

W. Craig Trader

Jan 2, 2011, 7:06:11 PM1/2/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
You'll probably want to install the Django debug toolbar (https://github.com/robhudson/django-debug-toolbar) at some point, though it doesn't help much with views that hang or throw exceptions.

- Craig -

daniels

Jan 3, 2011, 3:00:24 AM1/3/11
to Django users
Here are the relevant files:

myproject/urls.py
----------
from django.conf.urls.defaults import *
from django.conf import settings

# Uncomment the next two lines to enable the admin:
# from django.contrib import admin
# admin.autodiscover()

urlpatterns = patterns('',
(r'^$', include('myproject.apps.acasa.urls')),

# Dev only
(r'^media/(?P<path>.*)$', 'django.views.static.serve',
{'document_root': settings.MEDIA_ROOT}),

# Uncomment the admin/doc line below to enable admin
documentation:
# (r'^admin/doc/', include('django.contrib.admindocs.urls')),

# Uncomment the next line to enable the admin:
# (r'^admin/', include(admin.site.urls)),
)

myproject/apps/acasa/urls.py
from django.conf.urls.defaults import *

urlpatterns = patterns('myproject.apps.acasa.views',
(r'^$', 'index'),
)

myproject/apps/acasa/views.py
from django.template import RequestContext
from django.shortcuts import render_to_response

def index(request):
return render_to_response('acasa/default.html',
context_instance=RequestContext(request))

myproject/templates/base.html
<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>Myproject - {% block title %}{% endblock %}</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="{{ MEDIA_URL }}css/style.css"
media="all" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="{{ MEDIA_URL }}js/jquery.js"></
script>
</head>
{% block content %}
{% endblock %}

myproject/templates/acasa/default.html
{% extends "base.html" %}
{% block title %}Acasă{% endblock %}
{% block content %}
Hello World!
{% endblock %}

Tiago Almeida

Jan 3, 2011, 10:43:49 AM1/3/11
to Django users
Hi,

Your files seem fine, I believe.
Have you found the cause? What version of python and django are you
using? I also have this issue but it is not often enough for me to
worry too much. Killing the server and restarting it solves it for
me..

BR,
--------

daniels

Jan 3, 2011, 2:09:40 PM1/3/11
to Django users
Hi,
Unfortunately i did not found the case, and i'm getting it pretty
often, about 3 out of 5 times i refresh the page.
If i leave it loading and i don't stop it it stays like that for about
30-40 seconds and then the page loads.
I just don't understand what is causing this.
I've restarted the server like 10 time or more from the first time i
got this and i'm still getting it every time i run it.

My Python version is : ActivePython 2.6.6.17 (ActiveState Software
Inc.) based on
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84292, Nov 24 2010, 09:16:51) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on
win32

and Django: (1, 2, 3, 'final', 0)

I did a lot of dev on Windows 7 before but i never had this issue. So
my thoughts are that this is either
related to this Django version or Python version.

W. Craig Trader

Jan 3, 2011, 2:36:50 PM1/3/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
I'm currently developing on Windows 7 (64-bit) with stock Python 2.6.6 (32-bit) and Django 1.2.3, and having no problems when running the Django development server from the command line.

I'd recommend using the normal Python (http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.6/) instead of ActivePython and see if that improves things.

- Craig -

daniels

Jan 3, 2011, 4:26:07 PM1/3/11
to Django users
I just tested with sock Python 2.6.6 from the link you gave me and
also tried with Python 2.7
and I'm still having this issue. It is really weird. Like i said 3 out
of 5 page refresh the browser hangs,
and if i press stop button i get the same exception trowed.

:(
> > django-users...@googlegroups.com<django-users%2Bunsubscribe@google groups.com>
> > .

Brian Bouterse

Jan 3, 2011, 4:28:55 PM1/3/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried using pdb to debug the call as it arrives?  You could step through the code, line by line that way to see what is hanging.

My 2 cents,
Brian

Brian Bouterse
ITng Services

Shawn Milochik

Jan 3, 2011, 4:35:34 PM1/3/11
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 3, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Brian Bouterse wrote:

Have you tried using pdb to debug the call as it arrives?  You could step through the code, line by line that way to see what is hanging.

My 2 cents,
Brian

I enthusiastically second this. If you're unfamiliar with pdb, check out this slice of awesome:

Incidentally, the Python doc page has just a bit that's not in the tutorial. The only thing that springs to mind is the 'skip' argument, but you might want to skim it. The debugger is a fantastic tool to have in your toolbox.

Shawn

daniels

Jan 3, 2011, 4:40:42 PM1/3/11
to Django users
Just tried latest version of Django 1.2.4 and same issue
I'll try that. Never used pdb before so let's see how things will go.
I'll reply with updates.

On Jan 3, 11:35 pm, Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Brian Bouterse wrote:
>
> > Have you tried using pdb to debug the call as it arrives?  You could step through the code, line by line that way to see what is hanging.
>
> > My 2 cents,
> > Brian
>
> I enthusiastically second this. If you're unfamiliar with pdb, check out this slice of awesome:
>
> http://blog.doughellmann.com/2010/09/pymotw-pdb-interactive-debugger....

daniels

Jan 4, 2011, 6:57:02 AM1/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so i used pdb and did a line by line pass, but i didn't get anything.
All data seems to be normal. I even edited socket.py and did a print on data
to see what's going on and everything seems normal.. :( so i'm left with no idea
I guess i'll have to get used with this hangs.

Brian Bouterse

Jan 4, 2011, 7:42:31 AM1/4/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like it wasn't able to be reproduced with pdb.  I think that should be looked into further.

Brian

Thomas Steinacher

Jan 14, 2011, 2:15:26 AM1/14/11
to Django users
Were you able to solve the problem? I regularly get hangs (around a
minute) as well, using python 2.6.5 from MacPorts and Django 1.2,
usually when using Chrome's incognito mode. Also, I sometimes have to
reload the page multiple times until all the media files load since
there seem to be errors in the requests.

My traceback usually looks like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/tom/sg/django-1.2/django/core/servers/basehttp.py",
line 281, in run
self.finish_response()
File "/Users/tom/sg/django-1.2/django/core/servers/basehttp.py",
line 321, in finish_response
self.write(data)
File "/Users/tom/sg/django-1.2/django/core/servers/basehttp.py",
line 400, in write
self.send_headers()
File "/Users/tom/sg/django-1.2/django/core/servers/basehttp.py",
line 464, in send_headers
self.send_preamble()
File "/Users/tom/sg/django-1.2/django/core/servers/basehttp.py",
line 382, in send_preamble
'Date: %s\r\n' % http_date()
File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 300, in write
self.flush()
File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/
lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 286, in flush
self._sock.sendall(buffer)
error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe

I am now using http://www.newthink.net/2010/12/17/multi-threaded-django-dev-server/
which has solved the problem so far.

Thomas

Xavier Ordoquy

Jan 14, 2011, 3:29:19 AM1/14/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I don't know much of windows, but couldn't it be some kind of network filtering, parental control or whatever that creates this behavior ?

@daniels: your issue is different. Django dev server only serves one request at a time. It looks like your chrome does several request at the same time.
I'm on osx, with chrome (out of the box) and django dev server and haven't seen an issue yet.

Regards,
Xavier.

ilyas Jumadurdyew

Aug 25, 2015, 7:18:46 AM8/25/15
to Django users
The problem is in your packages. You probably tried to solve so other issue and installed some package that you dont need.

I had the same problem, clearing unused packages solved the problem

saurabh...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2018, 7:48:18 AM6/29/18
to Django users
open your task manager and stop python process running it and then again runserver