Django installation on Hostgator

Gjorge Karakabakov

Jan 2, 2013, 7:32:10 PM1/2/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've created a Django project but can't really seem to install it correctly on Hostgator.

I've followed this tutorial: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jhvixMmTRGYHRbHaYlTHTNrtpziGotQMc0iBO0sTbIo
and created new project which worked. When I uploaded my own project I got server error - 500.
I'm presuming it has something to do with the additional apps i'm using:
endless-pagination, newsletter, sorl.thumbnail, django_extensions

How can install them on the server? I can't really use sudo pip install there I don't have permissions.

Also is there more detailed/easier way of installing django?

Please explain in detail I'm really new at django.

Thanks!

John Neumann

Jan 2, 2013, 11:45:17 PM1/2/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
You can also try this: https://my.hostgator.com/cgi/help/530 and/or this: https://my.hostgator.sg/cgi/help/python-install though iric it was riddled with issues. Been a bit since I had to do it without the ability to install things intelligently. Personally I'd suggest trying to install virtualenv and see if you can even get that to work. If you can't then you're probably screwed (again though I'd still suggest switching hosts).

On Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:34:55 PM UTC-6, John Neumann wrote:

You would be correct. You cannot install anything else on HostGator (it's why I left them despite their fantastic customer support). You can see what they do have installed here: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/hosting-guide/hardware-software/python-modules

Outside of those things you're hosed. Either find another host or lose the libs. After I had the same problem I moved to WebFaction and couldn't be happier there. They have great customer support as well (though I do miss the ability to chat on the fly).

Also it would be easier to install django if you had another host. Hostgator is great for most things outside of Python land. Again, like Hostgator, but their Python/Django support is weak sauce.

Avraham Serour

Jan 3, 2013, 4:09:55 AM1/3/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm also using hostgator to host a django project.
first of all note that they have different plans with different features, what I'm going to write applies to their shared hosting plans.

Looks like they are using some version of centos, which comes with python 2.6 I believe.
Installing a python from source on your home folder is a good idea, but unfortunately hostgator blocks access to gcc.
on the other hand they already have python 2.7.3 installed, juts use python2.7 as the executable, try running "python2.7 -V"
btw, they also have python2.6 for 2.6.6 and python3 for 3.2.3

after that you should use virtualenv to create a project specific env so you can install things using pip. download the virtualenv.py file to you project folder and run it from there. for the index.fcgi file you should put this in the first line:
#!/home/username/projectname/env/bin/python

other than that I think it should be standard, maybe I should do a blog posting documenting this better. let us now if this works

Gjorge Karakabakov

Jan 4, 2013, 3:33:55 AM1/4/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for your answers - I decided to switch the hosting service to Webfaction.
They have lots of tutorials and great support.

bb...@yahoo.com

Jan 4, 2013, 10:51:23 AM1/4/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gjorge,
I haven't used Hostgator but I believe just extracting the required packages into project root should work. Here what am proposing:
myproj/
myproj/
django/
django_extensions/
South
This way you simply upload your project to the server along with the dependencies.
dislaimer: I haven't use hostgator and I didn't follow the link in your post.
--ab

Sent from my mobile device

Todong

May 2, 2014, 2:53:37 AM5/2/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Do you meet a problem of setting up CGI for python? I found this post which may be helpful to you: Python CGI setup for hostgator hosting