Starting your first app

Skip to the first unread message

Caleb Bryson

23 May 2018, 17:03:2623/05/2018
to Django users
Hey I am new to python and i am trying to use django to make my first web page. I know the basics of python but i am stuck on the step where you start your app. i made sure i have a directory and have installed south to help out but when i type "python mange.py startapp blog" it keeps giving me "python: can't open file 'manage.py' : [Error 2] No such file or directory" ( I am using anaconda prompt by the way).

these are the instructions i was using, and i got all the way down to "creating a app"

If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it.

Gerardo Palazuelos Guerrero

23 May 2018, 17:12:4623/05/2018
to django...@googlegroups.com
Please use djangogirls tutorial

---
Gerardo Palazuelos
Enviado desde mi iPhone

squal poreover

23 May 2018, 17:50:5323/05/2018
to django...@googlegroups.com
Your manage.py file isn't in the right directory.

Melvyn Sopacua

23 May 2018, 17:56:4223/05/2018
to django...@googlegroups.com
On woensdag 23 mei 2018 22:59:50 CEST Caleb Bryson wrote:
> Hey I am new to python and i am trying to use django to make my first web
> page. I know the basics of python but i am stuck on the step where you
> start your app. i made sure i have a directory and have installed south to
> help out

:(

> https://jeffknupp.com/blog/2012/02/09/starting-a-django-project-the-right-wa

Please don't use a blogpost from 2012. Django has excellent documentation,
among which a tutorial that is kept up to date. This post hasn't been, as it
talks about south, something that went obsolete with Django 1.8 (and we're now
on 1.11LTS / 2.0 and 2.1 is around the corner).

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.0/#first-steps
--
Melvyn Sopacua