Different approach?

1 view

Mariano Sokal

Apr 14, 2009, 11:40:23 PM4/14/09
to django...@googlegroups.com
Well, i'm also new :)

I've been using django for a couple of days trying to learn while developing a Pizza Delivery Software... (yes, I got bored doing blogs) and since it is not a traditional website where one has an admin area and a regular-user-live-site area, I feel that almost every functionality that I want for my app can be accomplished just by using admin.

Ok, as I told you, I am new... but I need to add customers, add addresses, add orders... and after doing all the models and registering the admin models I feel that I'm almost done with the application. Is that the way you do an application where there's no public website but is more like a point-of-sale?

Regards,
Mariano

google torp

Apr 15, 2009, 3:15:30 AM4/15/09
to Django users
Hi.

As I'm not sure exactly what your goals with this site is, I'll be
guessing a
bit here. Using the admin to create customers ect, can be a solution,
but
having access to the admin also means having access to a whole bunch
of
stuff that you can mess with. You could instead make some views that
will
display some modelforms that you can use to create what you need.
Maybe
you also some some views that will display customers based per city
postal code, city areas or whatever suits best. You could also add
order
tracking, so you can see what pizza's are selling most and see if
repeat
customers are buying the same (kind of) pizzas. All of these would
also
require views. There are lots of possibilities to extend. Also using
the admin
as the main part of the site should only be done, if the site is only
used by
very few trusted people.

~Jakob