Using Django /Channels for polling complex sensor data

matrix1900

Oct 9, 2017, 9:12:04 AM10/9/17
to Django users
Hi,

My project is to develop a Web Interface for a complex machine.

  • The web interface should be applied for maintaining and diagnostics.
  • The webserver should run on a embedded device.
  • On the embedded device a process which takes all the required data from the complex machine (Sensor data, etc..) and delivers the data to the website  is needed.
  • Another requirement is, the webinterface should be available for a long product live cycle.
  • The webinterface should show realtime data and allow to manipulate data from the complex machine.

big requirement: Multiple users can retrieve different web pages that contain different data. I need a background worker who receives a separate message from each user of the web interface. the message contains the information which live data should be sent continuously.

How do I solve the problem if I have multiple users who want to see different live data on the web page? The number of users will not be very large. I think  maximum of <10 users.

I found this example : https://medium.com/@johngrant/raspberry-pi-and-django-channels-8d5cddb36226

The idea in this example is, start a separate background worker and send periodic data from a sensor to the webserver/website.  But how can I receive data from the background receiver or is the example not suitable for my problem?

Best Regards,