Django field model for HTML parser?

drone4four

Nov 15, 2017, 8:20:33 PM11/15/17
to Django users
The contents of my models.py looks like this:

from django.db import models

# Create your models here.
class Post(models.Model):
        title
= models.CharField(max_length=256)
        pub_date
= models.DateTimeField()
        image
= models.ImageField(upload_to='media/')
        body
= models.TextField()

def __str__(self):

return self.title

def pub_date_pretty(self):

return self.pub_date.strftime('%A %d %B %Y @ %-I:%M:%S %p')

def summary(self):

return self.body[:350]

Lines 5 through 8 initiate the model class variables for my blog dashboard. My dashboard looks like this. There is a title, pub date, image and body. The Udemy instructor suggests consulting the official Django doc for field types/options. I’m not sure I really understand most of it. There is just so much information there. My question for all of you: Which field option or field type initiates an HTML parser for body text? I mean, when I go to to create a new blog post, how do I create rich text with HTML formatting buttons like bold, underline and italics? It’s not really the buttons I care about. I just want my HTML tags to parse. Take note of the HTML tags I’ve circled in red here. How do I get the h5, hr and em to parse? Is there a field option/type for this? I don’t see it in the models fields doc.

Thanks for your attention.

Amitesh Sahay

Nov 15, 2017, 10:41:31 PM11/15/17
to Django users, drone4four
The HTML file in Django is parsed through views.py if that is what you are looking for. For Italics <em> tag should work. For strong text, you may use <strong> tag. I hope that I have understood your question correctly.

Hello,

Regards,
Amitesh Sahay

primary :: 91-907 529 6235

drone4four

Nov 17, 2017, 9:21:57 PM11/17/17
to Django users

I didn’t do a very good job explaining.  Let me try again.

If you take a look at this image of Blogger, the red arrow points to the formatting bar.  The formatting is a helpful feature in Blogger which allows blog posters to add an essay worth of content, and then alter the appearance of the Lorem Ipsum essay content with bold, italics, underline and a few dozen other buttons and options.

Then when you click the HTML button in the Blogger dashboard, it shows you the same Lorem Ipsum content, but just the raw HTML source.

My Django admin panel when creating a new blog post just accepts plain text.  No HTML markup formatting.  Here is a pic of my Django dashboard with a red arrow pointing to where I am hoping to add an HTML formatting bar. Or does Django not have an HTML formatting menu feature helping blog contributors to format their content?  I can’t find it in the model field type / option doc that I linked to in my original post.

Thank you.

Jason

Nov 18, 2017, 7:46:21 AM11/18/17
to Django users
What you're trying to look for is a WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get), and there are a number of third party packages you can look at https://djangopackages.org/grids/g/wysiwyg/

ckeditor is one of the largest and most popular such projects, and has integration with django via https://github.com/django-ckeditor/django-ckeditor

drone4four

Nov 18, 2017, 3:12:21 PM11/18/17
to Django users

Thank you, Jason.  The WYSIWYG editor like ckeditor is precisely what I am looking for.

I have set out to run ckeditor.  I am following along with the instructions on how to install it.

Inside my virtual environment I invoke pip install django-ckeditor.

Then I add ckeditor to INSTALLED_APPS in settings.py.

But then my shell is telling me that I have improperly configured static root in the files app even though my settings.py does include a line: STATIC_URL = '/static/'

The installation doc linked to above does refer to the official Django doc on how to manage static files, which I find to be helpful but isn’t really very applicable to my particular situation because I do not have any image files that I am working with in my case at this point.

When I run python3 dobbs_portal_blog/manage.py collectstatic, I get this error:

$ python3 dobbs_portal_blog/manage.py collectstatic

You have requested to collect static files at the destination

location as specified in your settings.

This will overwrite existing files!

Are you sure you want to do this?

Type 'yes' to continue, or 'no' to cancel: yes

Traceback (most recent call last):

 File "dobbs_portal_blog/manage.py", line 22, in <module>

   execute_from_command_line(sys.argv)

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 364, in execute_from_command_line

   utility.execute()

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 356, in execute

   self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv)

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 283, in run_from_argv

   self.execute(*args, **cmd_options)

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 330, in execute

   output = self.handle(*args, **options)

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/staticfiles/management/commands/collectstatic.py", line 199, in handle

   collected = self.collect()

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/staticfiles/management/commands/collectstatic.py", line 124, in collect

   handler(path, prefixed_path, storage)

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/staticfiles/management/commands/collectstatic.py", line 354, in copy_file

   if not self.delete_file(path, prefixed_path, source_storage):

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/staticfiles/management/commands/collectstatic.py", line 260, in delete_file

   if self.storage.exists(prefixed_path):

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/files/storage.py", line 392, in exists

   return os.path.exists(self.path(name))

 File "/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/subgenius-blog-env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/staticfiles/storage.py", line 50, in path

   raise ImproperlyConfigured("You're using the staticfiles app "

django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: You're using the staticfiles app without having set the STATIC_ROOT setting to a filesystem path.

(subgenius-blog-env) gnull at gnosis in

$

Simon Connah

Nov 18, 2017, 3:54:11 PM11/18/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
The error message is pretty obvious.

"You're using the staticfiles app without having set the STATIC_ROOT setting to a filesystem path."

Set the STATIC_ROOT setting in settings.py.

drone4four

Nov 18, 2017, 6:38:25 PM11/18/17
to Django users

The official Django docs specify that STATIC_ROOT is indicated in settings.py at the STATIC_URL variable (which is near the bottom).  The official Django docs says:

Configure your web server to serve the files in STATIC_ROOT under the URL STATIC_URL.

(link)

I’m not running Apache. My Django serving is running locally. The absolute path in my file tree to my Django root directory is:

/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/dobbs_portal_blog/

Inside dobbs_portal_blog is where I placed the static folder. Therefore, the line in my settings.py where I declare the variable, I changed from the default:

STATIC_URL = '/static/'

to:

STATIC_URL = '/home/gnull/Dropbox/TECH/python/2017/django-experiment-with-nick/dobbs_portal_blog/static/'

That is my best guess at attempting resolve the “pretty obvious” error message:

You're using the staticfiles app without having set the STATIC_ROOT setting to a filesystem path.

Yet I am still doing something wrong because invoking python3 dobbs_portal_blog/manage.py collectstatic, I still get the same message:

Thanks for your attention and thank you Simon for your patience.

Antonis Christofides

Nov 19, 2017, 5:31:37 AM11/19/17
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

First of all: If you are just starting to learn, and because the amount you have to learn can be overwhelming, I'd suggest to not care about the wysiwyg editor at this stage. Pretend that your users can enter HTML in the field, and do all the rest. After you get some understanding of static files, only then come back to this issue.

But to (prematurely) answer your question, if you have DEBUG=True and running django with manage.py runserver, you shouldn't need to care about STATIC_ROOT and STATIC_URL and collectstatic. Just forget about them. When the time comes to deploy your application and turn DEBUG off, then you will need to understand how static files work in production.

Regards,

Antonis

Antonis Christofides
http://djangodeployment.com

drone4four

Dec 14, 2017, 12:00:56 AM12/14/17
to Django users
Hi fellow Djangoistas:

I'm back.

Thank you Atonis for your help.  I suppose I can leave the WYSIWYG editor static files for later when I have alittle more experience.  For now though: how can I enable HTML markup to parse like it should?  The box where users on my Django website make a blog post, they can attach images, apply a timestamp but the content is just plain text.  How do I make it so that when I user for example enters this:

<h1>Lorem Ipsum</h1>
<strong>Hello and welcome to my first blog post</strong>

...that it posts and parses not as plain text but with the heading showing with a slightly larger font size than the rest and the first sentence is bolded?

Thanks again.

-Drone4four

Mike Dewhirst

Dec 14, 2017, 12:26:37 AM12/14/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 14/12/2017 4:00 PM, drone4four wrote:
> Hi fellow Djangoistas:
>
> I'm back.
>
> Thank you Atonis for your help.  I suppose I can leave the WYSIWYG
> editor static files for later when I have alittle more experience.
> For now though: how can I enable HTML markup to parse like it should?
> The box where users on my Django website make a blog post, they can
> attach images, apply a timestamp but the content is just plain text.
> How do I make it so that when I user for example enters this:
>

> <h1>Lorem Ipsum</h1>
> <strong>Hello and welcome to my first blog post</strong>
> |

> ...that it posts and parses not as plain text but with the heading
> showing with a slightly larger font size than the rest and the first
> sentence is bolded?

That is easy but dangerous. You need to permit only a subset of markup.
In your views you need to bleach [1] the user entered data then
mark_safe() it. Bleach has a default set of html tags probably including
<h1> and <strong> but you can add others. For all other tags it will
convert angle brackets into &gt; and &lt; thus disabling them. Django's
mark_safe will deliver any real tags to the browser.

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bleach

> [...]
>> I’m not sure I really understand most of it.
>> There is just so much information there. My
>> question for all of you: Which field option or
>> field type initiates an HTML parser for body
>> text? I mean, when I go to to create a new blog
>> post, how do I create rich text with HTML
>> formatting buttons like bold, underline and
>> italics? It’s not really the buttons I care
>> about. I just want my HTML tags to parse. Take
>> note of the HTML tags I’ve circled in red here
>> <https://imgur.com/a/wV4qs>. How do I get the h5,
>> hr and em to parse? Is there a field option/type
>> for this? I don’t see it in the models fields doc.
>>
>> Thanks for your attention.
>>
>> --
>> group/django-users
>> <https://groups.google.com/group/django-users>.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/
>> msgid/django-users/d387add4-
>> 9859-4410-a882-cf98ee3a6278% 40googlegroups.com

drone4four

Dec 14, 2017, 11:19:57 PM12/14/17
to Django users
Thank you Mike for the help. I'll look into bleaching my HTML.  Great doc.

So it's easy but not recommended to enable all HTML.  I've got alotta custom legacy  code with dividers and elements with classes and such which I intend on trying to port over into Django.  Would enabling these aspects to me HTML pose as a security risk?

More about the security: I know JavaScript can be prone to errors and security risks, but HTML?  Hypothetically speaking, how might allowing all HTML by bleaching my code with this plugin be risky?

Mike Dewhirst

Dec 15, 2017, 12:51:53 AM12/15/17
to django...@googlegroups.com
On 15/12/2017 3:19 PM, drone4four wrote:
> Thank you Mike for the help. I'll look into bleaching my HTML.  Great
> doc.
>
> So it's easy but not recommended to enable all HTML.  I've got alotta
> custom legacy  code with dividers and elements with classes and such
> which I intend on trying to port over into Django.  Would enabling
> these aspects to me HTML pose as a security risk?
>
> More about the security: I know JavaScript can be prone to errors and
> security risks, but HTML?  Hypothetically speaking, how might allowing
> all HTML by bleaching my code with this plugin be risky?

I'm not sure about all of them but the anchor tag could be particularly
dodgy. SQL attacks are popular among a certain class of vandals when
they discover they can submit nasty scripts in unbleached text fields.
I'm just following what I believe are best practices recommended by
experts in the field. I'm not the smartest one in the room. There will
be others on this list who can agree or disagree.

IMO if you want users to be able to insert URLs in their text that is
fine as bleached text because while  it cannot be turned into a
clickable link, it can be copied and pasted into a browser. Django
provides a URLField if you want users to have clickable links. They are
probably easier to manage for security purposes  than embedded links in
text.

BTW bleach defaults to swapping all angle-brackets to  &lt; and &gt;
symbols except for known innocuous tags. They are listed in the docs.
Django defaults to "bleaching" everything. mark_safe() on the other hand
permits everything. Hence if you want to be selective about what you
permit and what you don't, you need bleach plus mark_safe()