What are the active Django e-commerce frameworks right now (2014)?

Brutus Schraiber

Apr 15, 2014, 9:03:32 AM4/15/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I played with Django a little bit a good couple of years ago and wanted to
start out again. I created some pet projects to get into it again and I'm looking
for a solid e-commerce framework to start some real projects.

I just started to do some research in my free time and came across quite a lot
of projects. I manged to take a closer look at some and will continue to dig,
but I hope some of you can share some opinions, experiences and tips on
direction.

My main resources so far have been `Stack Overflow`_, `Django Packages`_, some
of the discussions in this group and of course standard search engines. While
it seems that these kind of questions are not that well received on S.O., I
still found a lot of info trough the other channels.

The frameworks
--------------

Right now I could need some help and pointers to narrow it down a bit.

My focus is *easy of use* and *less boilerplate*. Not big and or complicate
shops with lot's of settings and customization.

I'm looking for a framework, that let's me set up *simple* shops fast. My main
concern is to avoid boilerplate code for managing items, the shopping cart and
check out / payment providers.

Here's what I could find so far, hope to get some input from you - if you need
more info on the kind and requirements on the future projects I plan to use it
in, just ask.

* Satchmo - http://www.satchmoproject.com/

  + Probably the best known framework, might also be the one that's around
    the longest.

  - I came across mixed reactions to it. Mostly concerning difficulty of
    customization and lot's of SQL queries.

  - Seems not really lightweight and modular. Might be overkill?

  - The site seems to be under construction. Documentation is not accessible
    (``/docs/dev/ was not found on this server``).

* Satchless - http://satchless.com/

  * Nice focus: "Satchless brings e-commerce and Python together. It provides
    the low-level classes and patterns so you can focus on your business logic
    and user experience."

  - Library, not a framework. That is of course not bad at all, but just not
    what I'm looking for right now.

  I would like to look more into it in the future but right now I need an
  fast to setup framework. BTW: Is this used by *Satchmo*?

* Saleor - http://getsaleor.com/

  + Looks promising: "Lightweight, Performant, Customizable".

  + Based on their GitHub profile the creators seems to have lot of Django
    practice: https://github.com/mirumee

  - No demo, and no screen shots or anything.

  - No docs (just install instructions).

  Might be a good choice? Looks promising but missing docs is a huge minus.

* Oscar - http://tangentlabs.github.io/django-oscar/

  + Full fledged *extensible* Shop-Framework with a nice set of features
    already included (e.g. access control and hierarchy of customers).

  + Sandbox to play around with and Demo-Site.

  + Docs seemed neat: http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

  Would love to hear more about this one, any experiences to share?

* Django Shop - https://www.django-cms.org/en/

  + Documentation: http://django-shop.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

  + From the people behind Django CMS.

  ? Don't know if it requires Django CMS tough.

  - Seems okay but might be a bit too simplistic for me?

 `Django CMS`_ seems quite popular. Sadly I haven't found much info on
 *Django Shop*. Any experiences?

* Cartridge - http://cartridge.jupo.org/

  + Framework build on Mezzanine.

  - Requires `Mezzanine CMS`_. WHile Mezzanine looks great, I don't want to
    depend on it or learn another framework, just for small shops, right now.

  ? Just out of curiosity: Is there something similar for `Wagtail`_?

I came across some more but haven't found the time to look at them closely,
some of the more outstanding ones where *Lightning Fast Shop* and *Plata*.

That's what I got so far. What do you all think?

.. _Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/
.. _Django Packages: https://www.djangopackages.com/
.. _Django CMS: https://www.django-cms.org
.. _Mezzanine CMS: http://mezzanine.jupo.org/
.. _Wagtail: http://wagtail.io/

Mario Gudelj

Apr 15, 2014, 6:41:39 PM4/15/14
to django...@googlegroups.com

I believe when you say framework you're referring to CMS with e-commerce. I in same dilemma recently and settled on Mezzanine + cartridge. When you install it it comes with a functioning cart and everything you need to get ahead early. It has good docs and it's just Django without much magic in it. I'd give that one another look.

Brutus Schraiber

Apr 26, 2014, 6:57:51 AM4/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Thanks 'somecallitblues' I will definitely take a closer look at Mezzanine and Cartridge.

But I'm kinda baffled. Only one answer after two weeks?

Sure webshops might not be the hot topic anymore than they where a good couple of years ago, and most people just use PHP and Magento anyway, but still?

Was my question too long? Is this the wrong place to ask such questions?

I know I generally should use stackoverflow etc. first, but this is not the kind of question thats welcome there...

Any chance I get some more opinions on this? Or hints where I can get such?

Jared Nielsen

Apr 26, 2014, 12:44:21 PM4/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Check out Stripe. Not a framework, but very easy to implement with Django.

donarb

Apr 26, 2014, 2:18:25 PM4/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
What you may want to do is to go to some of the projects that you initially listed and ask questions of the users on their mailing lists as to what sorts of stores they are creating and why they picked that particular library.

I have been looking at some of the packages myself for some projects I'm wanting to do and I like what Oscar seems to be doing. Their Github account is pretty active and lots of good features are being added.

Andy Robinson

Apr 28, 2014, 8:04:03 AM4/28/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
I second the recommendation for Stripe.

I have no need for shopping carts but suffered for years dealing with credit card payments for license renewals.  Many solutions were running into problems with foreign banks blocking payments (which the payment solution can't do anything about), spurious rejections and so on.  I discovered Stripe and had it running in literally a couple of hours, and we have never had an issue with an incorrectly blocked payment.    Business-wise, the alternatives needed months of form-filling with payment providers, merchant accounts, PCI-DSS certificate vendors.  It is ridiculously easy to get up and running with Stripe and just make an HTML button for each product you want to sell.