Feedback: wishlish - Regions and Multiple Currencies

Mika Sjöman

Feb 26, 2012, 10:39:37 PM2/26/12
to django-shop
What is really hurting for our organisation is the fact that Satchmo
is missing multiple-currencies and that a product has no "regions"
settings. Using a half working forks is just to much of a mess/risk.

For example a product in our organisation could be sold to the US but
not to EU. Is this something you have solved for Django-Shop yet? Our
ugly solution has become to create three shops instead; EU, US, World.
That means that when you update the text on one of them, you wil have
to update every single one of them plus three other languages. One
change = nine places to change.

What we really need is:
1. Sold in region (a tuple with region choices)
2. Multiple currencies, depending on which country the product will
ship to (choosen by region).

We can not have a base price, and then mark it up since the currencies
go up and down and we are selling a brand that has to be marked at a
specific price to not piss of our distributors. Selling it for less
than recomended price is not an option.

Second - its not Django-CMS compatible. And its not easy to tell a
customer used to Django-CMS that sorry, you can not get that sleak
interface.

Feel stupid for asking, but I am not that good a python hacker yet to
just look at the source-code and dig in to check what works and
doesnt. What is your opinion - is django-shop production ready for
these tasks? Can it be used for production?

And once again - thanks for the wonderful work you are doing and for
FOSS-ing it!

Cheers Mika!

jrief

Feb 27, 2012, 4:22:44 PM2/27/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hello Mika,
from my point of view such a feature makes a lot of sense.
But such a feature is too special to be part of the Django-shop core. If implemented, it only makes sense as a plug-in.
Since in Django-shop you can override almost everything, including the product model, such a feature could be implemented by overriding the model Product and adding a 1:n relation for price. Of course, then all the modifiers also have to be rewritten, but the interfaces are provided.
Cheers, Jacob

Mika Sjöman

Feb 27, 2012, 10:11:46 PM2/27/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Ill talk with our python hacker here at work and see what he thinks about doing that. Having three sets of data is just a little bit too much of a mess to run three regions.

Cheers and thanks for the reply!

Jule Slootbeek

Feb 28, 2012, 10:30:26 PM2/28/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Mika,

I have done a lot of interoperability with django-shop and django-cms. See againfaster.com.
Feel free to reach out with any questions. I'm interested in improving the interoperability for both plugins.

Regards,

Jule Slootbeek

/ jss | Sent from my iPad

Mariano DAngelo

Mar 9, 2012, 12:15:14 AM3/9/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Jule very nice shop! have you fork the cms_plugin you mentioned?

It's a matter of taste but I think I would be nicer if the category images have the opacy and on hover get colored

Jule Slootbeek

Mar 13, 2012, 5:11:43 PM3/13/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Mariano.
It will always be a work in progress and will consult our designer with your suggestion.

No, I have not forked any plugins, at this point the shop category pages are rendered by CMS by adding placeholders to the template, and overriding the CategoryView.get_context_data() method to pull the Products into the template. This does require me to use the override URL for each shop/category page since django-shop displays the page at /shop/products/category/[slug] and CMS looks for /[slug]. But this is only a minor annoyance at this point.

It is a long-term project of mine to write a custom CMS plugin that is aware of the django-shop's models, but unfortunately time is a limiting factor at this point.

Maximilian Jackson

Dec 29, 2012, 12:34:48 AM12/29/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Django-shop probably seeks to be modular so you'll need to customize this plugin since not every business works this way.

I think a quick hack is to create a currency field in your product's model and it's associated price. Then build a catch in the cart modifier to change currency according to ship-to currency.

It's not nicely scalable though.