theme for django-shop

kochab

Mar 14, 2012, 4:27:13 PM3/14/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've been looking for django-shop complete themes on google with no success,
does anybody know where I can find them?
in particular, has anybody written a theme using bootstrap from twitter?
thanks!
kochab

Christopher Glass

Mar 15, 2012, 3:36:29 AM3/15/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I'm not really sure what you mean by "theme", but generally the
templates in django-shop are left almost blank on purpose: we provide
a framework, and assume that most if not all shops will have a
different set of templates.

If somebody wanted to provide an "example" shop with all the bells and
whistles and nice templates, it would be a great contribution to the
project, but for the time being none exists.

I'm afraid you'll have to do the templating part yourself :(

Cheers,

- Chris

Mika Sjöman

Mar 15, 2012, 8:23:43 AM3/15/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
The NO:1 thing that would improve django-cms would be to have a wordpress like "shop" for themes.

I honestly do not think its much more strange than downloading python packages. If it could be simplified to the level that one just clicks a theme from a repo, I think the spread of django-cms/shop would be exponential.

Wordpress is pure hell if you want to build shops compared to django development.

I wonder if it would be possible to "copy" the way wordpress does with a built in search engine for themes/pluggins, but in a django specific way. I honestly find it difficult to see what plugins are good/bad compared to the ease of wordpress where users leave star ratings. Comparing wordpress and django-cms, the first has an awsome backend theme and the later has an awesome front-end editing - plus it is django :) The cool thing would be to have a wordpress copy of their backend interface in django-cms and then have the classical django admin as an option to fall back on.

When I showed the admin interface of django to our customers - who are used to wordpress, I can say that it was a big let-down :( The front-end was cool - but admin work is still done in the backend.

Anyone up for copying the wordpress admin to django-cms ;) ?

Cheers

Christopher Glass

Mar 15, 2012, 9:05:57 AM3/15/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Surely you meant to send this to the django-cms list instead? :)

The shop is not meant as an out-of-the box solution like the CMS, but
as a framework. I have been tying to encourage people to write an
out-of-the-box shop solution based on django-shop, but so far nobody
picked up the ball (mind you, I could/should have picked it up myself
- I'm not complaining).

- Chris

Martin

Mar 15, 2012, 8:44:32 PM3/15/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
It is almost impossible to create a theme for django-shop. Every shop I have created so far is vastly different from each other. One shop has multi language support, another has not. One shop has taxes, another has not. One shop has categories, another has not. One shop has variations, another has not.

Each shop has a different address model. Each shop has different URLs and a different way to step through the ordering process. Think about the product model and address model. Every shop has a different one, designing the product page is a thing that you definitely HAVE to do yourself, there is no way around it.

Right now I am creating a shop with i18n and muti currency support, with paypal and moneybookers integration. If that thing should ever be done, I will release it as a demo shop which SHOULD have all the bells and whistles (and a theme) that should be good to go for almost everyone but really... the whole point of django-cms and django-shop is, that we don't want to look all alike... like in Wordpress ;)

Best regards,
Martin

saidimu apale

Mar 16, 2012, 3:48:00 PM3/16/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
I'm in agreement with all the points, *but* there is something to be said about having a "reference" implementation that serves not only as a higher-level scaffolding but also serves as a toolbox for commonly-encountered issues (a cookbook if you will).

If the recurrence of the "example shop" question is any indication, there appears to be a need for it. But the people who are able to create such a shop are precisely the ones who don't need it (and vice-versa).

It would be a great pity if patterns to common problems (solutions to which don't make sense as a plugin) are constantly re-invented in the wild, which appears to be the case right now. I suppose one could simply put up a gist and hope other developers find it?

As a quick illustration, the following pending problems hardly seem unique to my django-shop implementation:

* retaining a cart/order when an anonymous user authenticates
* displaying separate line items for duplicate cart items
* varying the step at which the item taxes are displayed (on/before checkout?)
* an easier way to add order states (besides manually fiddling with the source)

It would help tremendously if there was a reference implementation that people could contribute to as a "best-practices for X" site.

OTOH, perhaps this mailing-list is sufficient for that?

Said.

Tomas Neme

Mar 16, 2012, 3:59:25 PM3/16/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
> OTOH, perhaps this mailing-list is sufficient for that?

I just dropped in, and I can say: it's not sufficient. I've almost
switched back to satchmo because I wasn't able to find solutions for
those two apps I ended up creating, mostly because I didn't really
feel like joining the mailing list (but then I came back, which means
I like django-shop a lot).

Maybe a repository of short examples, like djangosnippets, but better organized?

A wiki specifically for snippets, categorized by "issue"?

Tomas

--
"The whole of Japan is pure invention. There is no such country, there
are no such people" --Oscar Wilde

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") to help him gain world domination.

Martin

Mar 16, 2012, 11:16:47 PM3/16/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
You are right, having an example shop would be great and I will create one as soon as my time allows. I think I explained on this list how to keep the card when a user signs-up and logs in already...

Best regards,
Martin

Christopher Glass

Mar 17, 2012, 8:28:28 AM3/17/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com

We definitely need an example shop, precisely for the various reasons you all outlined.
Unfortunately nobody in the core dev team has time to build one at the moment (the core team is basically Martin who is crazy busy, and me, busy as hell as well).

I would actually contribute in the form of sending some of my personal hard earned money towards a good looking, creative and if possible funny example shop, or a good stab at a genetic shop implementation using the framework (ala satchmo, maybe using zeus's dynamic products plugin).
I'm serious. Think about it. Send me a quote. I'll get a kickstarter running if needed, and maybe someone else would chip in.

Cheers, and thanks for ASL your awesome contributions (discussions count, too).

- Chris

taggsbury

Apr 16, 2012, 10:53:34 PM4/16/12
to djang...@googlegroups.com
I'd be happy to help out on templates + design of an example shop.

Things I'd like to see:

 - best way to implement a single page checkout (I think a lot of the django shop frameworks miss the mark on how common this is)
 - best way to inject an Order-Overview page into the checkout flow