New add-on: DRF FlexFields for dynamic fields and nested objects

rsinger86

Dec 30, 2016, 5:04:48 PM12/30/16
to Django REST framework
I've been using DRF for the past year. After struggling with so-called "minimalist" REST frameworks, DRF has transformed my programming experience for the better. Thanks Tom Christie and the rest of the Django/DRF community!

I often use some additional functionality to dynamically expand primitive fields into nested objects, and to dynamically set which fields are returned in my responses. I didn't see a similar package out there, though there are more complex and more basic ones. Big thanks to those authors for some design inspiration.

So I thought I'd package up the additional functionality I place in most of my projects and share it with the community:

Tom Christie

Jan 1, 2017, 7:26:54 AM1/1/17
to Django REST framework
Great stuff!

There's two recommendations that we make to anyone authoring a new third party package.
Firstly it's well worth issuing a pull request that adds a link to your package from the documentation.
In your case, it'd be worth linking to flex-fields from this section:

Also worth adding to the Django packages site, under the "django-rest-framework" grid:

Thanks & all the best,

  Tom

rsinger86

Jan 2, 2017, 6:09:56 PM1/2/17
to Django REST framework
I created a pull request for the addition to the docs:

I plan to add to the Django packages site soon. Thanks again for this awesome framework!