New maintainer

jespern

Sep 14, 2011, 7:32:44 PM9/14/11
to django-piston
List,

Joshua Ginsberg (aka jag or j00bar) has volunteered to take over
development and maintenance of django-piston. Joshua works for
Washington Post, which uses piston internally, so he'll get to spend
company time on this.

I've started out by giving Joshua write access to my repository, and
eventually it'll transition to be under his control entirely. I'll be
helping him get started with the maintenance.

We'll be keeping development on Bitbucket, where Joshua's username is
'j00bar'. Go follow him! :)

Jesper

Jorge Cardona

Sep 14, 2011, 7:33:38 PM9/14/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
:D

> --

Jorge Eduardo Cardona
jorgee...@gmail.com
jorgeecardona.blogspot.com
github.com/jorgeecardona
Linux registered user  #391186
Registered machine    #291871

Joshua 'jag' Ginsberg

Sep 14, 2011, 8:26:37 PM9/14/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Jesper -

Thanks for the introduction, and thank you for your stewardship of
Piston thus far. It's a great product, and I know it's been immensely
useful way more developers than just me.

So everybody can get a sense of what to expect in the near-term
future, my goals are these:

1) There are a lot of fixes in default versus 0.2.2 - and the one that
probably impacts even the most casual users is the exemption of Piston
resources from the CSRF framework. I'd like to get a 0.2.3 out the
door to canonize what's been updated over the last 2 years.

2) There's a lot of outstanding issues and pull requests. I'd like to
start addressing these to fix clear bugs for a 0.2.4, and I'd like to
look at the needs expressed in enhancement requests and pull requests
to plot out a roadmap for a 0.3 release.

That being said, I don't want to do anything radical. Piston is solid
code with good test coverage that's critically relied upon in a lot of
places, and I want to avoid doing anything which jeopardizes
reliability or needlessly introduces backward incompatibility. Where
such backward incompatibilities are introduced, they'll be plainly
documented.

As always, I'd like this to be a community process with a good
feedback loop. I'd like to discuss these directions with you in this
forum early and publicly to ensure we're making the right decisions.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you've got concerns.

Thank you all for this opportunity to serve the Django community, and
I look forward to working together.

-jag

Joshua "jag" Ginsberg <j...@flowtheory.net>
http://www.flowtheory.net/