Piston vs. Tastypie

Andres

Dec 24, 2010, 5:14:21 AM12/24/10
to django-piston
I've started to work on integrating piston into a site, but recently
came across Tastypie. I'd like to get people's opinion as to which
framework is a better idea to invest the time to integrate with.

To start things off here are some initial observations:

Although it seems like Tastypie is more actively developed, it is a
newer framework, and somewhat lacks the community for now. It seems
more flexible in many aspects, including in terms of handling non-
model based resources (includes things like NoSQL backends). At the
same time it seems more complicated than Piston, has more ways to
shoot yourself in the foot and has a fairly large number of
dependencies, which I don't particularly like.

Piston on the other hand seems to have a substantial community. From
people's comments and problems, it seems like the code is still very
early, with inconsistent errors and not extensive test coverage. The
most limiting factor is that it doesn't seem to be actively developed
anymore.

I am hoping this question will start a good comparison as to why
someone should choose one over the other, and what are important
things to look at. I think it will be helpful for people facing the
question in the future.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts

Mirat Bayrak

Apr 16, 2011, 3:13:04 PM4/16/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
In my first impression it has lots of dependencites, i usuallty think that if a library have much dependencies there is much chanse to have a problem.

Jeremy Sandell

Apr 17, 2011, 8:24:53 PM4/17/11
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mirat,

    It's worth noting that Python and Django are dependencies for piston, as well. And if you're using JSON, the only other dependencies are mimeparse and dateutil.

    Honestly, I've been quite happy with tastypie (replaced piston with it on one project just last week) , as it doesn't conflate resources with models.

    Don't get me wrong, I still like piston - it has a lot of great ideas. But it's certainly worth evaluating both to see which best fits your needs.

HTH,
Jeremy Sandell