Oscar REST API

David Winterbottom

Mar 13, 2013, 5:01:40 PM3/13/13
to django-oscar
Just a note that I've started gathering requirements for a new Oscar extension: a REST API.  This should be useful for:
  • Adding rich-client JS functionality to an Oscar site (eg Backbone, Knockout - that kind of thing)
  • Building mobile apps.
Given my experience, I can see that it would be easy to use Tastypie to put together a set of extensible APIs.

Repo here:
I'm using the wiki to document requirements before any work starts in earnest.

Please post any suggestions to this thread.

I need to learn tastypie and (backbone/knockout/require).js for a Tangent project and have been playing around with these libs in an Oscar branch:

--
David Winterbottom
Head of Programming

Tangent Labs
84-86 Great Portland Street
London W1W 7NR
England, UK

John Goodleaf

Mar 13, 2013, 8:32:07 PM3/13/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
I am delighted to see this topic. I'm sorry I badgered you about it, but nevertheless pleased to see it.

Anyway, in the original thread, one of the other posters recommended Django-Rest-Framework over Tastypie for a few reasons. I have looked into it subsequently and I'm convinced. I think Tastypie is in some sense easier to get started with, but Rest-framework seems to do a better job staying current, and is somewhat more broadly useful (e.g. OAuth support now baked in; it already supports Django 1.5's customizable User models). The browsable API is quite nice also.

So although I don't have specific requirements for you, I'll throw out a suggestion, which is to prefer Rest-framework.

David Winterbottom

Mar 14, 2013, 7:10:32 AM3/14/13
to django-oscar
On 14 March 2013 00:32, John Goodleaf <jgoo...@stadi.us> wrote:
I am delighted to see this topic. I'm sorry I badgered you about it, but nevertheless pleased to see it.

Anyway, in the original thread, one of the other posters recommended Django-Rest-Framework over Tastypie for a few reasons. I have looked into it subsequently and I'm convinced. I think Tastypie is in some sense easier to get started with, but Rest-framework seems to do a better job staying current, and is somewhat more broadly useful (e.g. OAuth support now baked in; it already supports Django 1.5's customizable User models). The browsable API is quite nice also.

​That's interesting.  I don't know either very well but have learnt Tastypie recently and was quite impressed with how easy it was.

However, I've heard my colleagues cursing Tastypie previously so there must be some rocks under the surface that I can't see right now.  The devil is in the details, as they say.

I'll have a play around with the Django REST framework - I might implement the first few requirements in both (separate git branches) and see how they compare.

Thanks for your feedback.

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:01:40 PM UTC-7, David Winterbottom wrote:
[...]

https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
---

Tomasz Wysocki

Mar 21, 2013, 7:31:23 AM3/21/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
We are trying to implement oscar API using tastypie right now. I don't know if we will able to publish it on github, but I will talk about this with client.

David Winterbottom

Mar 21, 2013, 1:20:10 PM3/21/13
to django-oscar
I've started two branches to explore using tastypie and django-rest-framework:

Both support a simple read-only product API where you can browse the catalogue.  Run 'make sandbox' in either branch to install the sandbox site.  They both have some simple tests too.

Raimon Esteve

Apr 12, 2013, 3:01:22 AM4/12/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk

El dijous 21 de març de 2013 18:20:10 UTC+1, David Winterbottom va escriure:

Are already done?

I'm working to integrate Oscar to Tryton and OpenERP. Two ERP's written by Python.

Sale Orders (basket) and address we inherit Oscar class to generete in ERP in live (threads and ERP webservices). Work done ;)
The catalogue I prefer to export products ERP -> Oscar (clone/cache). I read in oscarcommerce integration with SAP webservices. Are availble this project or doc about it?

I will try to use Django Piston to comunicate ERP -> Oscar but I find this branches tastypie and rest framework another API integration.

What is "the best" API to comunicate to Oscar? How to contribute/test it?

Thanks

Raimon
www.zikzakmedia.com

David Winterbottom

Apr 12, 2013, 6:21:47 AM4/12/13
to django-oscar
On 12 April 2013 08:01, Raimon Esteve <raimon...@gmail.com> wrote:

El dijous 21 de març de 2013 18:20:10 UTC+1, David Winterbottom va escriure:

Are already done?

​The library is still in early development - those two branches are just proof-of-concepts.​  It's not production-ready yet.

I'm working to integrate Oscar to Tryton and OpenERP. Two ERP's written by Python.

Sale Orders (basket) and address we inherit Oscar class to generete in ERP in live (threads and ERP webservices). Work done ;)
The catalogue I prefer to export products ERP -> Oscar (clone/cache). I read in oscarcommerce integration with SAP webservices. Are availble this project or doc about it?

​There's nothing public about that.  Within several Tangent projects, we integrate with SAP.  This happens in a variety of ways.  In some instances they post XML documents to a webservice, in others, we use their PI layer and submit SOAP requests.​  I've not come across a SAP installation that uses REST at all - SOAP seems to be their preferred transport mechanism.

I will try to use Django Piston to comunicate ERP -> Oscar but I find this branches tastypie and rest framework another API integration.

​As I understand it, piston is no longer maintained and you would be better advised to use either DRF or TastyPie.  See http://pydanny.com/choosing-an-api-framework-for-django.html

What is "the best" API to comunicate to Oscar? How to contribute/test it?

​Assuming you choose to use DRF or TastyPie, the best thing to do would be to write the API layer within your project.  Then once it's working, you can extract out a re-usable API package and submit that as a pull request against Oscar's API lib.  In my opinion, it's best not to generalise too soon.  Better to solve the real problems of your project and then examine what is "generic" than the other way round.

Good luck.​

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
---

Raimon Esteve

Jun 13, 2013, 12:52:02 PM6/13/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
Hello David,

I forget to reply your comments......

Are already done?

​The library is still in early development - those two branches are just proof-of-concepts.​  It's not production-ready yet.

Ok. I developed in our shop API methods. It's easy and customizable by shop

I'm working to integrate Oscar to Tryton and OpenERP. Two ERP's written by Python.

Sale Orders (basket) and address we inherit Oscar class to generete in ERP in live (threads and ERP webservices). Work done ;)
The catalogue I prefer to export products ERP -> Oscar (clone/cache). I read in oscarcommerce integration with SAP webservices. Are availble this project or doc about it?

​There's nothing public about that.  Within several Tangent projects, we integrate with SAP.  This happens in a variety of ways.  In some instances they post XML documents to a webservice, in others, we use their PI layer and submit SOAP requests.​  I've not come across a SAP installation that uses REST at all - SOAP seems to be their preferred transport mechanism.

In UK, you like to paid expensive licences and when finish work day, you have some headhaches using SOAP (it's a Spanish joke :P )

 I will try to use Django Piston to comunicate ERP -> Oscar but I find this branches tastypie and rest framework another API integration.

​As I understand it, piston is no longer maintained and you would be better advised to use either DRF or TastyPie.  See http://pydanny.com/choosing-an-api-framework-for-django.html

Thanks! Good website!. Finally we choose django-treebeard to ERP -> Django API.
In Django, we use ERPpeek (OpenERP) or Proteus (Tryton) to communicate Oscar -> ERP (generate order inlive, get prices shipping, etc)

My headhaches when I work in API was in categories: how to generate number to path field in catalogue categories. First time, I don't understand nothing (1) ;)

Thanks

David Winterbottom

Jun 14, 2013, 5:21:11 AM6/14/13
to django-oscar
On 13 June 2013 17:52, Raimon Esteve <raimon...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

​It's funny because it's true.  But it's also very sad - I've lost many hours of my life debugging SAP SOAP problems.  As the saying goes, "The more SOAP I use, the dirtier I feel."

 I will try to use Django Piston to comunicate ERP -> Oscar but I find this branches tastypie and rest framework another API integration.

As I understand it, piston is no longer maintained and you would be better advised to use either DRF or TastyPie.  See http://pydanny.com/choosing-an-api-framework-for-django.html

Thanks! Good website!. Finally we choose django-treebeard to ERP -> Django API.
In Django, we use ERPpeek (OpenERP) or Proteus (Tryton) to communicate Oscar -> ERP (generate order inlive, get prices shipping, etc)

My headhaches when I work in API was in categories: how to generate number to path field in catalogue categories. First time, I don't understand nothing (1) ;)

Thanks

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
---

Rory S.

Dec 27, 2013, 8:44:15 PM12/27/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
Zapier.com works with many APIs and have come up with the following:

The dedicated site - http://resthooks.org

Thought i would share even though it may not be relevant to the django-oscar-api efforts.

Rory

Maik Hoepfel

Jan 9, 2014, 6:33:09 AM1/9/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rory,

that was a good read, thanks.

- Maik

On 28/12/13 01:44, Rory S. wrote:
> Zapier.com works with many APIs and have come up with the following:
>
> Their blog post - https://zapier.com/engineering/introducing-resthooksorg/
> The dedicated site - http://resthooks.org
> github - https://github.com/zapier/django-rest-hooks
>
> Thought i would share even though it may not be relevant to the
> django-oscar-api efforts.
>
> Rory
>
> On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:01:40 PM UTC-5, David Winterbottom wrote:
>
> Just a note that I've started gathering requirements for a new Oscar
> extension: a REST API. This should be useful for:
>
> * Adding rich-client JS functionality to an Oscar site (eg
> Backbone, Knockout - that kind of thing)
> * Building mobile apps.
>
> Given my experience, I can see that it would be easy to use Tastypie
> to put together a set of extensible APIs.
>
> Repo here:
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar-api
> <https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar-api>
> I'm using the wiki to document requirements before any work starts
> in earnest.
>
> Please post any suggestions to this thread.
>
> I need to learn tastypie and (backbone/knockout/require).js for a
> Tangent project and have been playing around with these libs in an
> Oscar branch:
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar/tree/experiments/tastypie <https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar/tree/experiments/tastypie>
>
> --
> *David Winterbottom*
> Head of Programming
>
> Tangent Labs
> 84-86 Great Portland Street
> London W1W 7NR
> England, UK
>
> --
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
> http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> https://twitter.com/django_oscar
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/a458b837-4f65-4a3e-9de8-37eff5e86e4c%40googlegroups.com.

Andrea Grandi

Feb 14, 2014, 9:32:55 AM2/14/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
I've been using Django Rest Framework since 1 year ago now and I can confirm it looks very good.
I would be happy to contribute to this API, I just need to find a little spare time to dedicate to it :)

Cheers.

Andrea Grandi

Feb 14, 2014, 10:31:55 AM2/14/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
I would like to discuss my previous statement a bit in detail.

With "looks very good" I mean that I did a comparison between the two frameworks (they both look very stable and well documented) and I opted for DRF because it has the possibility to browse the API and because its architecture of the views comes directly from Django CBV. Tom Christie (DRF author) explains these two concepts here http://stackoverflow.com/a/7518570

Personally I haven't found any particular limitation in DRF after 1 year using it and when I had the need to extend it with some customized class it was quite easy to do.

Reading the previous messages it looks like there are two drafts to implement Oscar APIs using both frameworks.
Do you have selected which one to use yet?

Cheers.

David Winterbottom

Feb 14, 2014, 10:57:10 AM2/14/14
to django-oscar
On 14 February 2014 15:31, Andrea Grandi <a.gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to discuss my previous statement a bit in detail.

With "looks very good" I mean that I did a comparison between the two frameworks (they both look very stable and well documented) and I opted for DRF because it has the possibility to browse the API and because its architecture of the views comes directly from Django CBV. Tom Christie (DRF author) explains these two concepts here http://stackoverflow.com/a/7518570

Personally I haven't found any particular limitation in DRF after 1 year using it and when I had the need to extend it with some customized class it was quite easy to do.

Reading the previous messages it looks like there are two drafts to implement Oscar APIs using both frameworks.
Do you have selected which one to use yet?

​Not officially, but I suspect DRF is the better choice.  I've been using it for a recent Tangent project and been impressed.​

Cheers.

On Wednesday, 13 March 2013 21:01:40 UTC, David Winterbottom wrote:
[...]

Technical Director

Xavier Ordoquy

Feb 14, 2014, 10:58:29 AM2/14/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
If needed, you can also ping me as I’ve been contributing to DRF as well.

Regards,
Xavier,
Linovia.

Bashar

Feb 14, 2014, 11:50:50 AM2/14/14
to django...@googlegroups.com

I would second DRF, my team and I did extensive digging into TP & DRF and finally decided to go with DRF as it builds html docs as an addition to TP

we have two Oscar projects that has mobile apps to be built and we were going to start this by our own but since it's coming here we will be definitely contribute our own to Django-oscar-API

more to come when I'm on PC :-)

-Bashar

Sent on the go via Gmail mobile

bryan...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2014, 2:34:29 PM3/23/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
A REST API would also be useful for:
  • Inventory Management System integration
  • CMS integration

Personally, I would like to see Oscar separated into two independent and optional applications with one common dependency:

  • A REST API server
  • A store-front/admin
Those two apps would share a common dependency of a third app, the Oscar core, handling business logic of inventory and orders.  The REST API would remain stateless.  Instead of django's sessions, use request-signing the way Amazon's API does, via private/public keys.  The UI would use Django's built-in user model, or whatever else, and be public-facing.

Under that structure, the concerns are separated.  You can now have:

  • A separate Inventory Management System to manage your products.
  • A phone app for workers to fulfil the orders.
  • Integration with a full-blown CMS such as django-cms, fein, or something in another language altogether.
  • Multiple store-front applications.
  • The Oscar store-front, if you wish.
  • A common inventory.
  • Separate statistics, users, and permissions, for each part of your domain.

Responsibilities of the API server would include:

  • API client management
  • Inventory management
  • Cart management
  • Order management

Responsibilities of API clients would include:

  • End-User management
  • UI

Alessandro Reichert

Mar 24, 2014, 5:01:48 PM3/24/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
Hi all,

My 5 cents...
I worked with both tastypie and django-rest-framework. Actually I replaced tastypie due to performance reasons.
Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but DRF seems to be more stable and maintained.

Thanks.

Maik Hoepfel

Mar 29, 2014, 1:20:12 PM3/29/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Bryian,

your vision is definitely where we should head in the long term. But I
think a good first step is having an Oscar extension working that
supports browsing and searching to gather experiency. Splitting up Oscar
like you suggested is a major undertaking that should only be done after
we've collected some more experience.

I personally prefer DRF over tastypie as well.

Regards,

Maik

On 23/03/14 18:34, bryan...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:01:40 PM UTC-4, David Winterbottom wrote:
>
> Just a note that I've started gathering requirements for a new Oscar
> extension: a REST API. This should be useful for:
>
> * Adding rich-client JS functionality to an Oscar site (eg
> Backbone, Knockout - that kind of thing)
> * Building mobile apps.
>
> Given my experience, I can see that it would be easy to use Tastypie
> to put together a set of extensible APIs.
>
> Repo here:
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar-api
> <https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar-api>
> I'm using the wiki to document requirements before any work starts
> in earnest.
>
> Please post any suggestions to this thread.
>
> I need to learn tastypie and (backbone/knockout/require).js for a
> Tangent project and have been playing around with these libs in an

Bashar

Apr 13, 2014, 8:14:06 AM4/13/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Following up on the API thread, I wanted to know whats the best practice now to contribute, is it updating the wiki[1] with the requirement information by creating new pages below Home like user registration/authentication , User profile, user order history etc.. or shall i fork and build my own wiki pages then submit pull requests?

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
https://twitter.com/django_oscar

Maik Hoepfel

Apr 17, 2014, 11:49:58 AM4/17/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bahar,

> Following up on the API thread, I wanted to know whats the best practice
> now to contribute, is it updating the wiki[1] with the requirement
> information by creating new pages below Home like user
> registration/authentication , User profile, user order history etc.. or
> shall i fork and build my own wiki pages then submit pull requests?

I wouldn't worry about the docs too much. An API can live nicely outside
of core Oscar as an extension.
You can just go ahead and start coding. It'd be nice if you could make
it as an extension to Oscar so others can use it. If it works out and
proves popular, we can talk about taking over maintaining it if so desired.

Regards,

Maik

Bashar

Apr 17, 2014, 12:00:24 PM4/17/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
django-oscar-api is an extension not in core right?

the idea of the documentation (will be written by me/project managers) is to guide my developers to actually code whats needed.

i referenced [1] in my earlier email but forgot to put the link https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar-api/wiki :)

Maik Hoepfel

Apr 17, 2014, 12:09:20 PM4/17/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
> django-oscar-api is an extension not in core right?
Correct. That project is not more than a proof of concept that never
made it far because Tangent currently doesn't have a requirement for an API.

> the idea of the documentation (will be written by me/project managers)
> is to guide my developers to actually code whats needed.
>
> i referenced [1] in my earlier email but forgot to put the link
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar-api/wiki :)
Feel free to use that document or entire project as a starting point.

Cheers,

Maik

Ville Jyrkkä

Jun 24, 2014, 6:09:01 AM6/24/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
One of our devs just found this. Good to have something reference for building api against Oscar :)
API will be important part for our project, but we will most likely use DRF.

-Ville

Bashar

Jun 25, 2014, 4:29:49 PM6/25/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, David Winterbottom
Hello Ville,
Are you interested to have your developer work on the API requirement with my developer? we are building internally a big document that covers our mobile apps requirements with Oscar and updating the wiki in a forked repo of django-scar-api

if you're interested please contact me off list and lets take it from there :)

Best Regards,
Bashar

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
https://twitter.com/django_oscar
---

Bashar

Jul 26, 2014, 7:07:48 PM7/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
JFYI:

Django REST Framework on kickstarter doing amazingly great!

Plegded for £4K and got £28K so far and 20 days remaining.

:-)