Adding an auction to oscar

Elwin

Dec 21, 2016, 10:09:11 AM12/21/16
to django-oscar
A museum uses a (pretty much default) django-oscar install for their shop. As of next year they are planning to auction off some lots, like paintings. I'm looking into how this could be integrated in their existing shop. The minimum requirement is being able to use the payment, order and shipment handling from oscar.

I'm having a hard time seeing how to get such a thing to work as it's not possible to inherit from the product model (without breaking the existing shop) in oscar.

I'd really appreciate some advice on how to go about this.

cmmwa...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2016, 12:32:46 PM12/27/16
to django-oscar
So I was thinking about this and this is the first iteration i came up with. Why not create a bidding model. The model could share a relationship with user(bidder), product/catalogue and any other thing that you may find useful. That way you don't have to touch existing packages and it is easier to keep track of the bids if they are in one model.

Elwin Buisman

Jan 24, 2017, 10:59:42 AM1/24/17
to django-oscar
Thanks for the input. I've implemented it as following:

- Inherited the product model, named Lot, from catalogue to add attribs like closing time, auction etc.
- Created a bid model with relation to User and Lot
- Created a custom dashboard to manage the auctions.

Basically, by using model inheritance in Django it works fine.