Decoupling a "legacy" Oscar implementation - suggestions?

Saadat Qadri

May 4, 2015, 8:33:31 AM5/4/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi David, Maik and the Oscar community:

I've taken on a project for a client's eCommerce site which is based off Oscar 0.6. For some reason, the original architect chose to clone Oscar and modify the codebase directly, without subclassing and/or forking Oscar apps as suggested in the Oscar documentation. This has resulted in code that is unwieldy and has made it virtually impossible to upgrade Oscar to v1.0.

I'm looking to rewrite some of the apps the proper way, and would love to hear any ideas the community has for the best way to move forward. I'd also like to upgrade to Django 1.7 (the current site is on Django 1.5), wondering if anyone has encountered issues with this.

Thanks for reading -- looking forward to the responses.

Saadat Qadri

Maik Hoepfel

May 4, 2015, 12:04:25 PM5/4/15
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Saadat,

that's a hard problem to solve. The "taking a copy of a project and just modifying it directly" is a pattern that we've seen a few times, and is the exact reason Oscar tries so hard to give you all the right hooks so you don't have to do that.

Personally, I'd diff the codebase between Oscar 0.6 and the project, and would try to recreate the modifications on top of Oscar 1.0. One could also make a point of using 1.1, as it ships with Bootstrap 3 and will support Django 1.8. Django 1.8 is a LTS release, and depending on how hard it is, there's a chance we might also support it longer.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Maik

--