Django CMS

mohamed...@codintek.com

Feb 5, 2013, 9:09:20 AM2/5/13
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am currently using django cms in one of my projects and I would like to add ecommerce features.
Is it possible to integrate django cms with oscar?

David Winterbottom

Feb 5, 2013, 9:39:57 AM2/5/13
to django-oscar
On 5 February 2013 14:09, <mohamed...@codintek.com> wrote:
Hi, I am currently using django cms in one of my projects and I would like to add ecommerce features.
Is it possible to integrate django cms with oscar?

Sure, Oscar is just a django extension ultimately.  It can always be installed along side other Django extensions.

However, it won't be that cohesive with django-cms as they are both unaware of each other.  I'm not that familiar with django-cms so I don't know how hard it will be to pull products/offers etc into the CMS-controlled pages.  It may be easy.

Either way, I'm interested in your experiences if you do decide to use Oscar with django-cms.  Please let us know.

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
---

David Winterbottom
Head of Programming

Tangent Labs
84-86 Great Portland Street
London W1W 7NR
England, UK

Nhu Trinh

Jun 26, 2013, 2:34:49 PM6/26/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
By the way, django-oscar is really a completed solution for ecommerce with django. Really nice job Tangent Labs.
I'm trying to integrate django-oscar with django-cms. My solution is setup django-oscar as an app in my django-cms project then use django-cms app hook to link with oscar. I will have to write some cms plug in to display product on cms page. And I have some question too: how to setup oscar as an app (with individual settings)?

David Winterbottom

Jun 28, 2013, 7:08:09 AM6/28/13
to django-oscar
On 26 June 2013 19:34, Nhu Trinh <spyjamesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
By the way, django-oscar is really a completed solution for ecommerce with django. Really nice job Tangent Labs.
I'm trying to integrate django-oscar with django-cms. My solution is setup django-oscar as an app in my django-cms project then use django-cms app hook to link with oscar. I will have to write some cms plug in to display product on cms page. And I have some question too: how to setup oscar as an app (with individual settings)?

​I don't think you have to anything different that if you were setting up a new project using Oscar.  Oscar isn't just one app though, it's lots.  You will just need to add them all to your INSTALLED_APPS as well as the other settings that Oscar requires.  That should work.

Best of luck.​

paulo.so...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2013, 10:00:39 AM6/28/13
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
Hi Nhu,

I would be very happy if you can share the results of your try.

Thanks in advance,

Paulo

Peter Bittner

May 25, 2014, 7:22:25 PM5/25/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
Any news on this?

How are django-cms and django-oscar playing together, ultimately?

Peter

Maik Hoepfel

May 26, 2014, 7:25:06 AM5/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I sat with Stefan from Divio at DjangoCon, and we hacked an extension
together. It generally works very well and is quick to do, you almost
don't need an extension.

We'll hopefully manage to release an official extension soon, too. No
ETA though.

Cheers,

Maik
> https://github.com/__tangentlabs/django-oscar
> <https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed
> to the Google Groups "django-oscar" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving
> emails from it, send an email to
> django-oscar...@__googlegroups.com.
>
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/__group/django-oscar?hl=en-US
> <http://groups.google.com/group/django-oscar?hl=en-US>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

> --
> *David Winterbottom*
> Head of Programming
>
> Tangent Labs
> 84-86 Great Portland Street
> London W1W 7NR
> England, UK
>
> --
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
> <https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar>
> ---
> Visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/django-oscar
> <http://groups.google.com/group/django-oscar>.
>
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

> --
> *David Winterbottom*
> Head of Programming
>
> Tangent Labs
> 84-86 Great Portland Street
> London W1W 7NR
> England, UK
>
> --
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
> http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> https://twitter.com/django_oscar
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/fc2cab63-43f1-424d-843f-8f98cb8113aa%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/fc2cab63-43f1-424d-843f-8f98cb8113aa%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bashar

May 26, 2014, 7:37:25 AM5/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hello Maik,
As we did many projects in the past having birth Oscar & CMS integrated with each others, I wanted to know what's the functions the official extension would be using on top of normal oscar+cms installation sitting next to each others? Maybe we already did something similar and worth sharing to avoid re-inventing the wheel :-)

Thx

Sent on the go via Gmail mobile app

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
https://twitter.com/django_oscar

Maik Hoepfel

May 27, 2014, 7:27:27 AM5/27/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bashar,

well, there is no official extension yet. But like I said, I think it
would mostly ship with a few, err, I think they're called plugins for
Django CMS. Like "most popular products", or something to render a
single product. Nothing too involved, really.

And yes, if you have any code in that regard, please get in touch
(privately if needed). Your site is the first production site with
integration that I'm aware off. Can I have a link to the site as well,
so I can just have a look at the frontend?

Cheers,

Maik

On 26/05/14 12:37, Bashar wrote:
> [...]
> http://groups.google.com/__group/django-oscar
> <http://groups.google.com/group/django-oscar>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/__msgid/django-oscar/fc2cab63-__43f1-424d-843f-8f98cb8113aa%__40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/fc2cab63-43f1-424d-843f-8f98cb8113aa%40googlegroups.com>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/__msgid/django-oscar/fc2cab63-__43f1-424d-843f-8f98cb8113aa%__40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=__email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/fc2cab63-43f1-424d-843f-8f98cb8113aa%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> http://django-oscar.__readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> <http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/>
> https://twitter.com/django___oscar <https://twitter.com/django_oscar>
> --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the

Oleg Fish

May 27, 2014, 2:48:34 PM5/27/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Bashar

I'm working on the project of publishing portal and trying to build it using Django-CMS+Oscar+Zinnia and some minor apps. I've started with tangent's branch, which just adds some cms-compatible templates and have planned to make kinda djangocms-oscar plugin using Zinnia's cmsplugin_zinnia as example. Main idea is to render oscar's promotion content blocks as cms plugins in placeholders and add some menus (categories, facets etc). Also, I've planned to start with integration of oscar dashboard navigation menu into Django-CMS 3.0 toolbar, but we decided to separate content management and order processing.

Oleg

понедельник, 26 мая 2014 г., 15:37:25 UTC+4 пользователь Bashar написал:

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
https://twitter.com/django_oscar

yvess

Jun 29, 2014, 6:51:19 PM6/29/14
to django...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:27:27 PM UTC+2, Maik Hoepfel wrote:
Hi Bashar,

well, there is no official extension yet. But like I said, I think it
would mostly ship with a few, err, I think they're called plugins for
Django CMS. Like "most popular products", or something to render a
single product. Nothing too involved, really.

And yes, if you have any code in that regard, please get in touch
(privately if needed). Your site is the first production site with
integration that I'm aware off. Can I have a link to the site as well,
so I can just have a look at the frontend?

Cheers,

Maik

Hi Maik

We (http://www.taywa.ch/) launched recently a side with oscar and django cms 3
see http://www.hierundjetzt.ch/. We updated our layout to bootstrap 3.

A special integration is a custom cms event plugin with references back to one or more products.

Yves

Vladimir Bolshakov

Jun 30, 2014, 2:10:18 AM6/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Yves!

Very interesting experience and good site!

Please, if you can, answer on some questions. I hope it will be useful not only for me.

How you make multi language categories in sidebar? Is it multi language links in Django CMS (where categories pages linked through menus) or is it customized Oscar's categories model (with hvad or something like this)?

How you wire URLs of Oscar to Django CMS? Through app hook or through "hard-wire" URLconf in your project?

P.S. Books thumbnails is great! I never seen earlier something like this. Use "dark" to show book's thickness calculated from count of pages... It's amazing!

yvess

Jun 30, 2014, 8:45:19 AM6/30/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vladimir

On Monday, June 30, 2014 8:10:18 AM UTC+2, Vladimir Bolshakov wrote:
Hi, Yves!

Very interesting experience and good site!
thank you, great that you like it

Please, if you can, answer on some questions. I hope it will be useful not only for me.

How you make multi language categories in sidebar? Is it multi language links in Django CMS (where categories pages linked through menus) or is it customized Oscar's categories model (with hvad or something like this)?
I customized the category model, and added a property trans_name wich picks the right language. Hvad was a bit overkill for my taste only needed it here (used hvad in another project).

How you wire URLs of Oscar to Django CMS? Through app hook or through "hard-wire" URLconf in your project?
hard-wired, in my main urls.py, the cms at the end, as always
I used one base.html for oscar and another base_cms.html for the cms part. Tried to make one for both but in the end it
was easier this way.
One Problem I had is that django filer, cms uses easy thumbnail and oscar sorl for thumbnail creation.
I always run into this issue with bigger django project. Why do they name both their template tag exactly the same 'thumbnail' !
The younger project of both shouldn't have done that, very annoying.
I used the smart load template tag to overcome this issue.

P.S. Books thumbnails is great! I never seen earlier something like this. Use "dark" to show book's thickness calculated from count of pages... It's amazing!

No fake shadows :-). Real light has fallen for this images. This are simply real photographs  :-))

Yves

Maik Hoepfel

Jul 7, 2014, 7:28:37 AM7/7/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yves,

site looks great! Very nice job.

I just released the a preview release of a django CMS integration. We
have a basic "featured product" thing:
https://github.com/maikhoepfel/djangocms-oscar/blob/master/djangocms_oscar/models.py#L6
But it sounds like what you did was more fully featured? Could you send
a pull request?

> hard-wired, in my main urls.py, the cms at the end, as always
> I used one base.html for oscar and another base_cms.html for the cms
> part. Tried to make one for both but in the end it
> was easier this way.

This is helpful feedback, thanks.

> One Problem I had is that django filer, cms uses easy thumbnail and
> oscar sorl for thumbnail creation.
> I always run into this issue with bigger django project. Why do they
> name both their template tag exactly the same 'thumbnail' !
> The younger project of both shouldn't have done that, very annoying.
> I used the smart load template tag to overcome this issue.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel Oscar is a bit too tightly coupled to Sorl
anyway. Do you think Oscar should use it's own thumbnail tag and allow
different backends?

Cheers,

Maik

> P.S. Books thumbnails is great! I never seen earlier something like
> this. Use "dark" to show book's thickness calculated from count of
> pages... It's amazing!
>

> No fake shadows :-). Real light has fallen for this images. This are
> simply real photographs :-))

This made me laugh!

> Yves
>

> On Monday, June 30, 2014 2:51:19 AM UTC+4, yvess wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:27:27 PM UTC+2, Maik Hoepfel wrote:
>
> Hi Bashar,
>
> well, there is no official extension yet. But like I said, I
> think itubuntu
> would mostly ship with a few, err, I think they're called
> plugins for
> Django CMS. Like "most popular products", or something to
> render a
> single product. Nothing too involved, really.
>
> And yes, if you have any code in that regard, please get in
> touch
> (privately if needed). Your site is the first production
> site with
> integration that I'm aware off. Can I have a link to the
> site as well,
> so I can just have a look at the frontend?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Maik
>

> Hi Maik
>
> We (http://www.taywa.ch/) launched recently a side with oscar
> and django cms 3
> see http://www.hierundjetzt.ch/. We updated our layout to
> bootstrap 3.
>
> A special integration is a custom cms event plugin with
> references back to one or more products.
>
> Yves
>
> --
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
> http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> https://twitter.com/django_oscar
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/500282ce-e982-4c39-86ed-6447023dc739%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/500282ce-e982-4c39-86ed-6447023dc739%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

yvess

Jul 9, 2014, 5:17:53 PM7/9/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maik

On Monday, July 7, 2014 1:28:37 PM UTC+2, Maik Hoepfel wrote:
Hi Yves,

site looks great! Very nice job.
thanks, was fun (thanks to oscar) and a lot of work!

I just released the a preview release of a django CMS integration. We
have a basic "featured product" thing:
https://github.com/maikhoepfel/djangocms-oscar/blob/master/djangocms_oscar/models.py#L6
But it sounds like what you did was more fully featured? Could you send
a pull request?
I don't made any special oscar django-cms integration, it could be more a documentation PR about the pitfalls and problems you might have.
Do you mean something particular I have done on http://www.hierundjetzt.ch?
What I did was a special django-cms event plugin which can have any django object as foreign key, oscar or any other. This is more a django-cms plugin.

> One Problem I had is that django filer, cms uses easy thumbnail and
> oscar sorl for thumbnail creation.
> I always run into this issue with bigger django project. Why do they
> name both their template tag exactly the same 'thumbnail' !
> The younger project of both shouldn't have done that, very annoying.
> I used the smart load template tag to overcome this issue.

Yeah, I'm starting to feel Oscar is a bit too tightly coupled to Sorl
anyway. Do you think Oscar should use it's own thumbnail tag and allow
different backends?

Different backends would be great. So you could choose the right backend depending of your other apps in the mix.
This would have made the django cms integration easier.

Cheers
Yves

Maik Hoepfel

Jul 11, 2014, 9:53:40 AM7/11/14
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yves,

> I don't made any special oscar django-cms integration, it could be more
> a documentation PR about the pitfalls and problems you might have.

That'd be nice, yes. We don't have a lot of real-world experience with
Django CMS yet, so that's most welcome. Pick whatever format (email, PR)
that you find suitable.

> Do you mean something particular I have done on
> http://www.hierundjetzt.ch? <http://www.hierundjetzt.ch/?>
> What I did was a special django-cms event plugin which can have any
> django object as foreign key, oscar or any other. This is more a
> django-cms plugin.

You're right, that's probably out-of-scope for the Oscar plugin.

> Different backends would be great. So you could choose the right backend
> depending of your other apps in the mix.
> This would have made the django cms integration easier.

Hi Yves, I agree. I've created an issue here:
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar/issues/1408 But I think it's
pretty low priority right now for us. PRs welcome! :)

Cheers,

Maik

> Cheers
> Yves
>

> Cheers,
>
> Maik
>

> > P.S. Books thumbnails is great! I never seen earlier
> something like
> > this. Use "dark" to show book's thickness calculated from
> count of
> > pages... It's amazing!
> >

> > No fake shadows :-). Real light has fallen for this images. This are
> > simply real photographs :-))
>
> This made me laugh!
>

> > Yves
>
> --
> https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
> http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> https://twitter.com/django_oscar
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/673527cf-81f6-4901-9176-279992454ae3%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-oscar/673527cf-81f6-4901-9176-279992454ae3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Nhu Trinh

Nov 26, 2014, 3:06:22 AM11/26/14
to django...@googlegroups.com, david.win...@tangentlabs.co.uk
Sorry Peter for late response,
Django oscar play nicely with django CMS, You have to include settings of both engine. But lately I decide to use only django oscar for my project :D